What's new

Razorock DE1

IMAG0123_1.jpg

This is what I call a mild razor! It weighs in at 76 grams. The blade is held as rigid as a postwar Tech, which is extremely rigid.

I used a fresh Polsilver SI.

There is barely any audible feedback WTG or ATG, but if it is quiet and you are focused, it's there and heard more ATG.

It took more strokes than a Postwar tech to get a BBS face and head shave, but I was able to achieve it. I used the same light touch that I use with any other razor. You may be able to get away with applying pressure, but it's not my style.

No irritation or blood loss, I don't think it's possible with this razor.

If you don't shave ATG, then I wouldn't buy this razor!

If you want to shave ATG, then buy this razor!

The blade tabs are concealed, I didn't have to move my ears during my head shave.

The Razorock DE1 is a solid , well built mild razor that is very capable of producing a BBS shave daily with good prep and technique. It has little blade exposure, so don't expect fast stubble reduction, but it is excellent ATG.

If you don't mind putting in the work, this razor will reduce your stubble to nothing without tearing your skin up. $9.98 shipped from Amazon is an excellent deal. It was not a prime sale, that price is for everyone in the US.

This razors reminds me of the Feather ASD2 with mildness, rigidity and efficiency.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Great review, Rabidus. Is it strange I want to shave my head now????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Nice review.! One of my sons shaves with the DE1 & I asked to borrow it for a shave. It was very mild & very close in performance as my Gillette Tech. The blade lockup is rock solid & also encases the side of the blade.

The DE1 (and the original Baili) definitely falls into the under rated category. Coming in at less than $10 folks overlook it because it is a "cheap razor", but those that got it (including me) are surprised at how mild and yet efficient the razor is. It does the Tech better by enclosing the blade ends and having wider head to put on your face. I originally bought the RR Teck II, which had the same head, and ditched the handle and it is now squarely in my rotation. Haven't gotten around to head shaving yet, nature and genetics are already doing it for me real fast.

Great concise review rabidus, your right about it being good for shaving ATG, i did want to say it reminds me of the Feather ASD2 aswell shave-wise in my review but didn't think people would take me serious due to the price lol. Enjoy

hmmm. Might have to add one to next Amazon order. Would make a good cheap travel razor. I like mild razors - especially travel for work where I need to shave daily. Normally I am an every other day shave.

You are all welcome for the review!

Great review, Rabidus. Is it strange I want to shave my head now????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

You'll definitely get to shave more. I start my day with a shower, face and head shave. After that, it doesn't matter how my day goes because it start off great!

The DE1 (and the original Baili) definitely falls into the under rated category. Coming in at less than $10 folks overlook it because it is a "cheap razor", but those that got it (including me) are surprised at how mild and yet efficient the razor is. It does the Tech better by enclosing the blade ends and having wider head to put on your face. I originally bought the RR Teck II, which had the same head, and ditched the handle and it is now squarely in my rotation. Haven't gotten around to head shaving yet, nature and genetics are already doing it for me real fast.

The DE1 handle is smooth and lacks knurling, but I didn't have any grip issues because of the shape.

Nature receded my hair line slightly, my razor takes care of the rest. I'm not balding, I started shaving my head after DE shaving for a few months three years ago. Every now and then I let it grow for a month or two to see if I still have options.

Great concise review rabidus, your right about it being good for shaving ATG, i did want to say it reminds me of the Feather ASD2 aswell shave-wise in my review but didn't think people would take me serious due to the price lol. Enjoy

I sold my ASD2 early on in search for the ultimate stubble reducer. Never found such a razor, some remove my stubble more efficient than others, but it's nothing ground breaking though, the end result is BBS no matter which razor I use. There's allot of aggressive razor peddler around here. I can use aggressive razors, but I find that mild razors with rigidity work just as good and are easier on my skin. And it really doesn't take anymore time using a milder razor, I can actually shave faster.

If you want Stainless Steel razor, get the ASD2. If you want the same experience only spending $10, get the Razorock DE1.

Like the ASD2, the angle is hit or miss, once you find the angle, you have to maintain it. The Postwar Tech has a little more room to play with, no much more though.

Never found such a razor, some remove my stubble more efficient than others, but it's nothing ground breaking though, the end result is BBS no matter which razor I use.

I totally agree with this from experience some may be more efficient but the end result can be achieved with nearly every razor with good prep & technique.

I can use aggressive razors, but I find that mild razors with rigidity work just as good and are easier on my skin.

I share the same experience over time I realised for my beard & skin type an mild razor which holds the blade sturdy with rigidness just works better especially for my thick wiry steel beard hair, I have a coarse beard yet sensitive skin beneath so using an aggressive razor I'm more prone to irritation & the against the grain pass can be unconformable so I can't get a decent shave due to not buffing, buffing with aggressive razors makes my skin taut afterwards or I just get nicks.

& to think years ago I thought certain mild razors where just too mild & trash, we learn over time.

I buff away with this Razorock DE1 even ATG on the lip area, I am shocked how many passes I do still no blood or redness, that's what sold it for me.

I haven't tried the ASD2 but I know the post war tech takes some beating for an old razor. :a39:

The review matches my experience with the Kanzy K100 pretty well.
I have found my clones of the Baili BD191 and BD176 to be very nice shavers - they have the same head, but I find the smaller handle of the BD176/RR DE1/Kanzy K100 easier to grip and manipulate securely.
I, too, found them quite reasonably efficient, riding the top cap yielding the best results for me and when doing the Gillette slide or head tilt, its efficiency increases quite nicely, although I found it to be fine without them as well.
Because the blade is held so tightly, I found I can go against the grain on the first pass even on a 3 day growth without issues, with some touch-ups in my trouble areas and be done. No irritation that way and the shave lasts pretty well. When I feel like having a close but super gentle shave, I stretch my skin and shave across the grain. The result isn't quite smooth, but close and very comfy.
Mind you, the PAA DOC Evolution Aluminus outpaces it in terms of efficiency rather easily, but it's kind of on opposite side of the spectrum when it comes to aggressiveness.

I buff away with this Razorock DE1 even ATG on the lip area, I am shocked how many passes I do still no blood or redness, that's what sold it for me.

Buffing above the lip with a mild razor with a rigid blade edge is simply a beautiful thing. I have a spot on my chin that I have to buff as well.

I apply lather twice, my razor doesn't stop until I have TSA(total stubble annihilation). I've been playing around with applying lather once on my face while the strokes remain the same. Worked great with my super lather, the couple of times I did it. I was just testing the waters, I always have plenty of lather for my face and head shaves.

& to think years ago I thought certain mild razors where just too mild & trash, we learn over time.

+1

I'm glad you guys like the DE1. So far my experience is the opposite. Still being pretty new to DE shaving (a bit over 3 months) I'm not sure if I'll hold on to it in case my preferences change, or if I'll be selling it or sending it off in a PIF.

I bought a DE1 along with an order of other things from Italian Barber. My plan was to use it as a travel razor since it was so cheap (no problem if lost, broken or stolen), but of course I would use it periodically in my rotation.

With the stock handle I absolutely hate it. I find that it is not only mild but it is also quite inefficient. It just doesn't cut well. After 3 passes and buffing/touch up I might look clean shaven but I (and anyone else who touches my face) can feel quite a bit of stubble. If I just do 3 passes without the buffing, I can still see some stubble (equivalent to a few hours growth) and after just a few hours it looks like a 5 o'clock shadow. I often find myself using pressure to compensate and thus get irritation, and when I use proper technique I have to go 4 or 5 passes to get a close shave, but then, even with the quite mild razor, my sensitive skin and so many passes means guaranteed irritation.

With the RazoRock Barber Pole handle it is a little better. Still not great, but substantially improved. But, when you add the $15 handle to the $7 razor you are at $22, about what my short handled EJ DES89L cost and more than the terrific RazoRock OLD Type OC or Mission. Heck, a nice genuine Gillette Tech runs about the same as the other RR options through about what a EJ or Merkur would run and would be far superior to the DE1 and possibly less money than a DE1 and replacement handle.

Sure it is inexpensive, but I prefer the $15 RR OLD Type OC. It is one of my favorite razors, quite efficient and smooth (and forgiving enough to be good for beginners). At $15 I'd also go with the RR Mission. Sure, proportionally it seems like a large price difference (more than double the price) but in absolute terms, $8 isn't a lot more to spend when the trade-off is a huge increase in performance. Add the better handle (which makes it barely acceptable IMO) and it is $7 more than the better RR options and about the same as my short handled EJ (and the cheaper Merkurs). It may not be terrible, especially for a starter/travel razor, but you can simply get a much better razor without too large a price increase.

I share the same experience over time I realised for my beard & skin type an mild razor which holds the blade sturdy with rigidness just works better especially for my thick wiry steel beard hair, I have a coarse beard yet sensitive skin beneath so using an aggressive razor I'm more prone to irritation

I have the same kind of beard, heavy and course whiskers along with sensitive skin, but the opposite experience with mild v. aggressive razors. While I can get a comfortable shave with a more mild razor, if I go for a close shave I am more likely (though far from guaranteed) to get irritation than with most more aggressive razors. I think it is because I can get as close a shave with my Schone or Fatip in 2 passes that I get with 3 passes from my Edwin Jaggers (yes that is plural, two plus a clone, so obviously I like my EJs) or Merkur 38. If I want a near BBS I can do it with 3 passes and minor touch up with my Schone or Fatip, while my more mild razors may need 3 passes plus serious buffing or even 4 passes and some touch up. With the DE1 I would need an absurd number of passes to get near the same result as my Fatip or Schone. The greater number of passes increases the chances that my sensitive skin will get angry.

Top Bottom