What's new

Razorock DE1

I can send you some next week or so when im back home currently in a another city working, you can test them without paying for them incase they don't work for you.

Thanks for the offer, I would love to test them out. I'm in the US if that's not a problem.

That makes perfect sense, now i know why they work so well for me in my milder techs & this Razorock DE1, i have loads of variants of techs a fatip piccolo & gentile, merkur futur, R41 & probably 3 other vintage DE's so im use to using the same razors & lucky they all fair well with the kai, i do shave with other blades but find myself going back to what i know works best for me.

Yep. The Kai blade really helps a milder razor become more efficient (and aggressive). For me, with the EJ DE89 head, the Kai blade is too much because the blade exposure goes from positive for the average blade to even more positive with the Kai blade, which is a sharper blade, too. That setup is too aggressive for me.

I have been shaving with a DE for over 3 months so I am new, but I'm not sure why so many seem to assume I don't like my DE1 because I don't know what I'm doing (I probably shouldn't have mentioned compensating with extra pressure since I haven't done that in a while- now I just use it when I don't need/don't care about a close shave). For the one who suggested that once I get to know my beard I would do better, I mapped my beard long before I ever shaved with a DE. I have a very heavy beard that needs 2-3 passes with a cartridge before I have an acceptable shave and I've been shaving WTG/XTG/ATG as my typical shave (and WTG/ATG for my quick shaves) for decades. Practice? Sure, it can help all of us, but I do have some practice at this point. I shave nearly every day. For the handful of days I go 36-48 hours between shaving (and the one or two times I've gone 2 1/2 days) there are as many or more times that I go 12-18 hours between a shave. In my over 3 months of DE shaving, I have shaved over 100 times with them. I have figured out angles at this point. That isn't to say I won't get better, but assuming an inability to find the right angle is why I don't like it or don't get a good shave from it is presumptuous. I love my EJs and clone, my Merkur, and most of my open combs (from the mild RR OLD Type OC to the quite aggressive Fatip Piccolo and Schone), and I like my slant and my vintage Gillettes. Though of course, my more aggressive razors do give me a closer, longer lasting, shave than my more mild ones. The only other razors that I have that I don't have a great experience from are my Parkers (my 76r is OK, I can't shave with my 26c without serious irritation, and I do blame it on angle only because I've seen online at least a dozen times that it is finicky on angles). I don't assume those that don't like the razors I like don't know how to use them. Not all razors are a good match for all people. Sometimes people just don't like the same things we like, it happens.

What blade do you use with the DE1?

I have used Shark SC, Shark SS, Astra SP, Israeli Personna Red, Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow, Nacet, and Polsilver SI blades with 0 to 5 prior shaves on them (usually 1st to 3rd use) in my DE1. I have only used blades that I know and like from other razors in it and I haven't used it with an untested (for me) blade.

The Kai's are my favorite in vintage Gillettes. Will last about twice as long as a Feather for me. Helps ameliorate the cost. I get a week from a Feather, 2 weeks from a Kai. And the Kai's could probably go longer. What I would use if trying the Excalibur thing. YMMV of course!

BTW-since so many people responded so quickly to my initial post, if I offended anyone I apologize. I don't like the DE1. There is nothing wrong with it, it just isn't for me. Someone with a lighter beard, or with less OCD about a super close shave (DFS is about the minimum I accept) can be happy with one. Someone new would find it great to start on since it is mild and forgiving. It is a bad match for my preferences, that doesn't mean that I am saying it is a bad razor. So, if anyone was offended and thought I meant to badmouth the razor, I apologize.

Oh, and darn you all for talking so much about the Kai blades in a thread I've been reading (I had been able to keep them in the back of my head as something to eventually try). Now there is another blade I need to try ASAP (off to Amazon I go to add a couple tucks to my next order) :001_cool:...
I still have 4 or 5 tucks and several individual blades of blades I want to but have yet to try...

@Jeff10236: Likewise, I apologise if I (we, even) have managed to offend you. It certainly wasn't intended.

I'd still suggest keeping it. Might still be a nice gift... or a plaything for trying out ideas. ;-)

(wanders off to order some Kai blades)

@Jeff10236: Likewise, I apologise if I (we, even) have managed to offend you. It certainly wasn't intended.

I'd still suggest keeping it. Might still be a nice gift... or a plaything for trying out ideas. ;-)

(wanders off to order some Kai blades)
Not offended, but with so many so fast with similar connotations I did get a little annoyed. I probably should have waited to post and not post while annoyed, hence my coming back later and apologizing in case I offended anyone earlier :blushing:.

Since it can be a great razor for the right person, and it would be a good starter razor since it is pretty forgiving, I'm thinking about putting together a beginners PIF (RR synthetic brush or Omega boar, a soap or cream, and maybe some Old Spice or Pinaud Clubman) and including the DE1. It would be a shame to hold on to a razor I don't really like and have it sit with little use if someone else might find they really like the same razor.

I don't think anyone will regret the Kai's. But I should mention there's one razor that didn't like them, a 1950's Feather. That little extra width made it ineffective. They rock in a 37 Sheraton, 47 SS, 57 flare tip, 62 Slim.

Used a Kai blade that I received from a generous member @Double_Edgez :thumbsup:

Excellent combo, noticeable more efficient yet still smooth as silk.. BBS face and head shave. I used Nivea shaving gel, which is surprisingly some good stuff. I spray some in a bowl and add 1tsp of water and it instantly whips up into a nice protective cream using a boar brush.

I'll see how the same blade performs in my more aggressive 48 Aristocrat next for shave two.

View attachment 783628
This is what I call a mild razor! It weighs in at 76 grams. The blade is held as rigid as a postwar Tech, which is extremely rigid.

I used a fresh Polsilver SI.

There is barely any audible feedback WTG or ATG, but if it is quiet and you are focused, it's there and heard more ATG.

It took more strokes than a Postwar tech to get a BBS face and head shave, but I was able to achieve it. I used the same light touch that I use with any other razor. You may be able to get away with applying pressure, but it's not my style.

No irritation or blood loss, I don't think it's possible with this razor.

If you don't shave ATG, then I wouldn't buy this razor!

If you want to shave ATG, then buy this razor!

The blade tabs are concealed, I didn't have to move my ears during my head shave.

The Razorock DE1 is a solid , well built mild razor that is very capable of producing a BBS shave daily with good prep and technique. It has little blade exposure, so don't expect fast stubble reduction, but it is excellent ATG.

If you don't mind putting in the work, this razor will reduce your stubble to nothing without tearing your skin up. $9.98 shipped from Amazon is an excellent deal. It was not a prime sale, that price is for everyone in the US.

This razors reminds me of the Feather ASD2 with mildness, rigidity and efficiency.

Hello,

Boy you took the words right out of my mouth. This has to be one of the most underrated razors! Fit and finish are excellent.
I must confess I bought my 1st one for parts (cap for Wardonia, handle for others).
I am also a head and face shaver. I figured I should try it once. Loaded with a Feather and all I can say is wow!!!

I agree you need to shave ATG. Fortunately I always shave head and face WTG, XTG and ATG. One of the most relaxing shaves I have ever had. Bought a 2nd one for parts.

Cheers
John

Top Bottom