What's new

razorock croaps

what are your thoughts on them? underrated or overrated soaps? I personally don't find them in the same league as stirling, barrister & mann, and other soap makers. do you like them or hate them? One thing I really cannot stand about them is that razorock does not use waterproof labels. This may not seem like a big deal to some, but this annoys me when you have other soap makers who use waterproof labels on their soaps in just you wanna know what the ingriedients of the soaps are. Their triple milled soaps also don't use waterproof labels. I find their croaps lather a little bit easier than their triple milled pucks, but I am not a big fan of razorock shave soaps. croap or triple milled soap. They are not bad quality. They just don't wow me like other soap makers.

I've owned about 100 soaps and I personally hold RR soaps in high regard. The soap is underrated but the scent profiles are just okay. Some of the ones from the past are incredible and there are still some good scents but Santa Maria for example, is world class. You can't go wrong with a croap from RR.

I generally agree: B&M and Stirling are first-rate in my book, and RR is good--even great--but in a class right behind those, while keeping in mind RR markets software from a variety of producers and the qualities vary. Dead Sea seems to be particularly well regarded and I happen to be 3017ing a glass jar with a seemingly waterproof label at the moment. This is an excellent summer soap: easy to lather, great scent, as slick as all get out. The lathers I am getting seem to lack "cushion" or "protection." But that has not been a problem for me. It is so slick! I am very interested in trying SMN from RR.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I use a lot of Razorock croaps and they are very good quality with interesting scents and great lather qualities made by artisans mainly in Italy and areas of Europe. They also sell other big brand name artisan soaps like Barrister and Mann, A&E............
Some times when you get a different soap brand other than Razorock that offers good slickness but it will leave a film on my shave gear and brushes that I do not like as where Razorock has good lather protection and it still cleans off well when putting shave gear away after a shave, I notice these different qualities of a soap.
Razorock brand has a solid middle of the road to high end soaps IMO. There is always going to be better soaps somewhere but you will pay a premium price also for a minute difference yet folks with money will buy it regardless is my observation.
It is a very competitive market for shave soaps and even Cheap Williams mug soap(been around for a long time) could not withstand the competition from small soap artisans from around the world IMO.

Ron R

If you haven't tried Santa Maria del Fiore, you will be wowed!
That soap is one of favorites for sure, also the Razorock "The Dead Sea" is another great soap with a unique herb clean scent with excellent lather qualities. I also really enjoyed the RR Lavender and I'm on my 3rd tub and one of the best deals a person could wish for and it just never caught on so they discontinued that soap. If I new that I would of bought 5 tubs and put them in my freezer and vacuum sealed them with my food saver vacuum sealer.

I got the last sample of one from a now defunt ebay retailer. Unironically smelt like excrement. Who on gods green earth decided to scent a product with sulphur?!?! It works okay, maybe a little better than proraso. Not worth the price here in Aus unless you really like the scent. For like $10 more you can get basically anything else with usually free shipping which covers the $10 gap anyway.

I got the last sample of one from a now defunt ebay retailer. Unironically smelt like excrement. Who on gods green earth decided to scent a product with sulphur?!?! It works okay, maybe a little better than proraso. Not worth the price here in Aus unless you really like the scent. For like $10 more you can get basically anything else with usually free shipping which covers the $10 gap anyway.
Australia is kind of a special case with the extra shipping costs and all. In North America, they represent good to very good value soaps. Buy them during one of the big Italian Barber annual sales, and you can get some real bargains.

For example,

Don Marco, 150g size, $2.99 to $3.99
Four-pack of triple milled soaps, 100g size, $8.88 for 400g of soap
Dead Sea or Santa Maria del Fiore, 250g size, $12.99

I don't think you can go wrong with these, but if price is no object, then of course there are going to be better soaps out there. You have to appreciate Razorock is more about good value for the money and pleasing the average customers instead of the most demanding and fickle connoisseurs.

I have only tried the Dead Sea croap. I gave it to my wife. She does not complain. It was ok for DE's, but not my first choice for straight razor shaves.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
For me RazoRock soaps in the tallow-free Super Formula are very top tier performers. My two favorite are Plague Doctor and Santa Maria del Fiore. I truly love both!

20220317_073804.jpg

20220105_144652.jpg

Big fan of Blue Devil...

what are your thoughts on them? underrated or overrated soaps? I personally don't find them in the same league as stirling, barrister & mann, and other soap makers. do you like them or hate them? One thing I really cannot stand about them is that razorock does not use waterproof labels. This may not seem like a big deal to some, but this annoys me when you have other soap makers who use waterproof labels on their soaps in just you wanna know what the ingriedients of the soaps are. Their triple milled soaps also don't use waterproof labels. I find their croaps lather a little bit easier than their triple milled pucks, but I am not a big fan of razorock shave soaps. croap or triple milled soap. They are not bad quality. They just don't wow me like other soap makers.
Hi Jon, I've found their triple milled "What the Puck" (WTP) soaps to be excellent, performing in a league with many triple milled tallow based soaps. Based on regular use since this past April I've found it easy to generate rich slick lather with my synthetic brushes. Scents are nice though the do dissipate over time when stored in an open mug as intended. I've made the WTP part of my regular 3 soap rotation keeping it in an open apothecary mug.

The ingredients are top notch. See the link to my post below (part of a thread on this soap) on a great first shave with the soap with a comparison of the ingredients to other soaps. Ingredients are the same as those in soaps, such as Art of Shaving, Taylor of Old Bond and Pré de Provence #63, costing up to more than 10x the price.

Understand the issue with waterproof labels (noticed this with my first use when lathering the puck in its container) but at $2.99 U.S. per puck (on sale) that is an acceptable compromise for many of us given the quality of the soap. Suspect that to hit the price point above Italian Barber needed to use a lower cost container that was not designed to be lathered or really loaded from (no extra vertical space). The Italian Barber web site listing for these soaps specifically suggests that "What the Puck hard shaving soaps are great to drop into your favorite mug or shaving bowl". Other soaps in this price range (Col Conk, Van Der Hagen) use really inexpensive clear plastic containers. Not sure it's fair to downgrade a $2.99 soap designed to be placed in a shaving mug for a non-waterproof label. To repeat one of the posts in the linked thread the WTP soaps punch well above their weight. These soaps are underated and represent a great value from a shaving performance perspective. Realize YMMV and those who prefer a strong scent or quality container artwork for their shave den may prefer other soaps. Which Razorock triple milled soaps did you use and outside of the labels how did the soaps perform for you?

Will leave comments on Razorock croaps to others as I've not used them.

Link to WTP thread and my post on first use and ingredients comparison:

I use a lot of Razorock croaps and they are very good quality with interesting scents and great lather qualities made by artisans mainly in Italy and areas of Europe. They also sell other big brand name artisan soaps like Barrister and Mann, A&E............
Some times when you get a different soap brand other than Razorock that offers good slickness but it will leave a film on my shave gear and brushes that I do not like as where Razorock has good lather protection and it still cleans off well when putting shave gear away after a shave, I notice these different qualities of a soap.
Razorock brand has a solid middle of the road to high end soaps IMO. There is always going to be better soaps somewhere but you will pay a premium price also for a minute difference yet folks with money will buy it regardless is my observation.
It is a very competitive market for shave soaps and even Cheap Williams mug soap(been around for a long time) could not withstand the competition from small soap artisans from around the world IMO.
Great comment on Razorock croaps. I've found the same for their triple milled soaps that punch well above their weight (see my post above).

Regarding Williams it wasn't the high end artisan soap makers that took it out. If it was we'd see their soaps in place of Williams on drug store and supermarket shelves. It was other mass market soaps such as Van Der Hagen that displaced Williams. Shelf space is a scarce commodity. Retailers would rather sell a $4.99 Van Der Hagen or similar puck versus a $0.99 Williams puck. The retail channels that sold Williams are not going to add $20+ artisan shave soaps to their mass market shaving assortments.

I can't speak to their new super duper tallow formulas as all mine are the older versions and years old. I love XXX and the lime. Performance is good. And they hold up to time. Some are 7-8 years old and still look the same.

Ron R

DE SOTD, SEptember 14th 2022

Razor : Razorock 2nd Generation Lupo.72- Mfg 2021> excellent mid range, great design for clamping blade, easy to work under the nose area, made from 316 stainless steel + excellent machining QC. A joy to use.
Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP(black)(5) Sharp & smooth with good longevity. Top tier for myself.
Soap : Razorock Lavender(discontinued :sad:), nice masculine scent of lavender + excellent lather qualities. I get best shaves using lavender soaps & creams from my experiences.
Brush : Yaqi Bali 24 mm silvertip badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrub + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my RR Lupo.72 with a Gillette 7oClock SP(black) blade.
SOTD Septemper 14 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I have several RazoRock croaps as well as several of their What the Puck hard soaps. Oh, and I also have a jar of Dead Sea (not really a croap, but not really a hard soap either). From a performance perspective I find all of them to be excellent. For me, if I can get a soap to lather well, it is a good soap. I have a hard time evaluating things like slickness, cushion, post shave conditioning, etc.

Where I think some other soaps surpass the RazoRock offerings in in the scents, but that is such a subjective criterion. As @Ron R has said, their Essential Oil of Lavender is a wonderful scent. I also enjoy Son of Zeus and Emperor, but both of them have a hint of a synthetic tint to them. The Dead Sea soap is unique, and while my wife thinks it smells great, I can never decide if I really like it or not. The Black and the Gold What the Puck soaps both have scents that appeal to me, lather easily and are perhaps the best bargain in shaving soap.

I might be in the minority, here...

But RR croaps, although well-scented, and well-packaged - just dont perform quite as well as other soaps/creams in my collection.

I own:
SMdF
Dead Sea

I have difficulty getting good lather from both.
And both don't feel particularly slick to me, either.

I keep using them occasionally, because, I don't know... I believe I will get better at using them? Who knows...

I just picked up some Santa Maria Novella, and like it lots better than SMdF.
It's less Vanilla, (which I appreciate) and better performance, for me.

Might be my water?
(although everything else I use lathers great.
Including MWF, SV, MdC, Proraso, Officina Artigiana, DR Harris, Fine, etc.)

I might be in the minority, here...

But RR croaps, although well-scented, and well-packaged - just dont perform quite as well as other soaps/creams in my collection.

I own:
SMdF
Dead Sea

I have difficulty getting good lather from both.
And both don't feel particularly slick to me, either.

I keep using them occasionally, because, I don't know... I believe I will get better at using them? Who knows...

I just picked up some Santa Maria Novella, and like it lots better than SMdF.
It's less Vanilla, (which I appreciate) and better performance, for me.

Might be my water?
(although everything else I use lathers great.
Including MWF, SV, MdC, Proraso, Officina Artigiana, DR Harris, Fine, etc.)
Maybe revisit them later. I have quite a few that early on I wasn't good at lathering but now I tried again and different alot better

Top Bottom