What's new

RazoRock blemish

I have my own issues with Razorock. This was the base plate of my Lupo 72. The dent on the surface can be clearly seen and felt. This is not a 'machine' mark, this is clearly damaged goods. RR's response was, it's not a defect, it does not qualify for a return or even a 'scratch and dent' discount. You can't see it when the razor is assembled and it shouldn't affect the shave. Well, so much for that. It's too bad because the Lupo is an awesome razor. It's probably the last one I ever buy from IB, though.

proxy.php

That is very unfortunate. I also had high expectations from this vendor and apparently I was wrong.
@Gabor, thanks for posting this. In my opinion, if indeed this was their customer service reply, it is totally unacceptable and you should return the razor at their expense.
Clearly that is a defect in plating.

:mad3:
I did not want to bring here their reply verbatim without their explicit permission so I summarized it, basically. They raplied to me and talked to me as a customer not as an annoyance, regardless of their opinion of the matter. I think it's a good thing.

I also think we are all in the same game on a fairly small playing field, manufacturers, vendors, buyers, distributors and it's up to all of us how we treat each other. We all have choices and we make these choices based on our personal/business preferences.
Regardles to the somewhat bitter feeling I have now, I don't want vendetta or any harsh repercussion, I think I would have handled this differently if I was on the other side of the shop counter, but that is just me, and I accepted that IB has chosen a different path.

I have my own issues with Razorock. This was the base plate of my Lupo 72. The dent on the surface can be clearly seen and felt. This is not a 'machine' mark, this is clearly damaged goods. RR's response was, it's not a defect, it does not qualify for a return or even a 'scratch and dent' discount. You can't see it when the razor is assembled and it shouldn't affect the shave. Well, so much for that. It's too bad because the Lupo is an awesome razor. It's probably the last one I ever buy from IB, though.
I'm terribly sorry that this happened to you. It seems to me it's a dent and even it might not affect the blade or the shaing itself and it is on a concealed place on the razor - it is there. I would think that would qualify to a scratch+dent discount but it's not me to make their policies.

FWIW, it sounds like IB screwed you over and you didn't get what you ordered. You ordered a blemish-free (read: non-defective) razor. IB sent you a defective razor. When you pointed that out to them, they refused to remedy the problem by sending you what you actually ordered. This is not only bad customer service but also a deceptive business practice and illegal in many (most?) jurisdictions.

Dealing with China can be very problematic. I knew another businessman who dealt with them in even higher volumes than the Italian Barber does and their attitude toward him was take it or leave it. He placed an order to a container load of a product and they shipped him the wrong product. He had to pay in advance and they would not accept a return so he was stuck with it and finally gave up dealing with them. If I were the Italian Barber, I would disassemble several of them and make parts available. Of course, my retail price would have to reflect this in some way. There's no excuse for shoddy plating.

proxy.php
That is not cool man.

I love Razorock razors as they're reasonably priced and shave well but I've seen many issues regarding their customer service. I haven't seen an instance where they go above and beyond and assist with the issues but they do the minimum of either return it and you keep it. It's just what it is.

I love Razorock razors as they're reasonably priced and shave well but I've seen many issues regarding their customer service. I haven't seen an instance where they go above and beyond and assist with the issues but they do the minimum of either return it and you keep it. It's just what it is.
I'm cool as long as they don't charge a restocking fee on a return and don't try to call defects like on OPs' and @bicep123 razor "within specs".

That ding on the RR is unacceptable.

Thanks for sharing your story. I've been eyeing the same razor, placed on order with a local store to get one but delivery time wasn't lived up to so I cancelled my order.
The razor seems pretty difficult to find in the EU, so I stumbled upon the same webstore you ordered from.
Thought it would be a nice Christmas present for myself, so made sure I saved the link and put it on my wishlist.

HOWEVER, if there is one thing I am allergic to it's these kind of unfair practices.
Clearly your razor is not as perfect as any customer should expect it to be or even accept.

Simply replying that the defect is within acceptable margins by looking at a photograph is just infuriating. How is this an objective assessment of your complaint? Did they feel it, measure it, try it out? Do they have some kind of spec-sheet for imperfections and did they compare the imperfection to whatever standards they use? No they didn't.

It's obvious that the store is abusing the fact that you're half way around the world to handle it without much fuss. They KNOW it's not their problem because you can't go knocking on their door.

I understand that you feel they have treated you respectfully and were correct in how they handled this.
Honestly, I think you're a grade-a gentleman and extremely forgiving, which is a great quality. I also love the fact that you're trying to stop us from lighting our torches and pulling out the pitchforks. Hat off, really - you are awesome!

BUT I'm a simple man, if someone decides to sell items to an end-user it is my firm belief that they should pride themselves in making their customers happy. If that isn't their motto then they are unworthy of you as a customer and you should avoid ordering from this store in the future.

I know I will.

I understand your problem.

Since IB isn't willing to replace the head, you can get a new Mellon head from Yaqi Australia (represented by The Wetshaving Co) and fit it on the SLOC handle.

Alternatively, you could return the entire razor to IB & get the complete razor from Yaqi Australia.

Just be sure to specify the Mellon head.

Antique finish

And a superheavy brass handle.

Last edited:

proxy.php
Wow!!!!!
Must say I'm highly disappointed to hear this. I only own a couple of RazoRock razors & my Game Changer which is the only stainless razor I own looks worse than my inexpensive Zamak razors. My top cap develop these black marks that no gentle form of cleaning was able to remove it.

If I need a new razor I'm trying my best to buy razors from vendors with return policies.

Sorry for you problems. My SLOC does have two small plating blemishes. They are both on the underside of the cap adjacent to one of the post. They present no problems and they are definitely acceptable. Yours, however, is not.

The super knurl is a great handle, so there's that. I'd look at getting the Yaqi Mellon from AliExpress if you can. It might be cheaper than the bogus restocking fee.

IB is probably refusing to help because it would mean they'll lose money, but the bad press might have just lost them more profit---a larger net loss.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I ordered 7 times from RazoRock so far. One parcel with a BBS AS got marked as "destroyed" (literally, yes) by customs. Nobody feels responsible to give me any money back, neither customs, nor RazoRock/Italian Barber. I can't blame that totally on them, but still.

I had one good conversation (female agent), and an unnerved and rather unfriendly one by mail (male agent) when I was pointing out a flaw in their product description for their old model inkwell stand, which was then also approved as review, which I gave a 50:50 chance after the mail exchange.

I like their excellent razor designs and the excellent price of their products. This has to be said. But it comes at the cost of only one shipment option (always Canada Post, which so far worked out nicely except in one case) and when there ist a need for customer service, it just isn't there at all.

I understand that you feel they have treated you respectfully and were correct in how they handled this.
Honestly, I think you're a grade-a gentleman and extremely forgiving, which is a great quality. I also love the fact that you're trying to stop us from lighting our torches and pulling out the pitchforks. Hat off, really - you are awesome!
Thanks for your kind words. I don't believe in witch hunts, they are mostly pointless and only serve one's ego, rather than aim for a solution. Unsatisfactory events happen but throwing unsatisfactory events to the fan only makes all participants, erm, covered in a brownish hue... Nothing good ever comes out of it.

I think I'm better off as a member of a supporting community than being another nameless annoyed customer for a low value product. I have learned a lesson, this is not the first time, not the last. I'm not particularly forgiving, I'm merely realistic :)

The super knurl is a great handle, so there's that. I'd look at getting the Yaqi Mellon from AliExpress if you can. It might be cheaper than the bogus restocking fee.
I understand your problem.

Since IB isn't willing to replace the head, you can get a new Mellon head from Yaqi Australia (represented by The Wetshaving Co) and fit it on the SLOC handle.

Thanks for both of you for suggesting the Yaqi Mellon, I might give it a go, but if this is the same, manufacturing defects equally likely to happen, no? Maybe I'll go for another avenue for an OC razor, idk yet. Still think the SLOC/Mellon design is avesome.

Thanks for your kind words. I don't believe in witch hunts, they are mostly pointless and only serve one's ego, rather than aim for a solution. Unsatisfactory events happen but throwing unsatisfactory events to the fan only makes all participants, erm, covered in a brownish hue... Nothing good ever comes out of it.

I think I'm better off as a member of a supporting community than being another nameless annoyed customer for a low value product. I have learned a lesson, this is not the first time, not the last. I'm not particularly forgiving, I'm merely realistic :)

Sometimes this is fun though...:biggrin1:

I've had that razor, without issue (PIF'ed it sometime ago). I'm sure yours was a fluke. Still, I can absolutely understand the hesitation of trying again, especially for the same item.

Have you tried Ali Express? They sell lots of Yaqi products. The site is a bit unwieldy but if you put enough time into it you can usually find What you're looking for.

For example, I couldn't find the yaqi melon, However I did find, "Yaqi Mini Red And Black Color Safety Razor". It looks like the melon, I believe, and has reviews calling it mild (like the Melon or RR would be).

I don't know where you are, other than New Zealand, but I put in the first option that popped up: Auckland, NZ and it is free shipping. Might be a safer / cheaper try if you are adamant about getting a double open comb. Picture is below.

Anyone try this... Is it the same as the RR / Melon?
Screenshot_20211015-074247.jpg

Italian Barber does not have the best Customer Support IMO.
The same happened to me with a blemished SLOC a while back.
I got a terse reply that stated: " This will not effect the shave " :w00t:
There was NO offer to make it right.

Top Bottom