What's new

RazoRock Black Mamba Review

Now that I am on vacation, it’s time to catch up on a few things that I have been meaning to do…

I did 15 straight shaves with the RazoRock Black Mamba utilizing various blades (Feather, Polsilver, Astra SP, and Personna Lab). Afterwards, I “reset” my face and checked any changes in my technique by shaving a few times with a Gillette Fat Handle Tech, an RR Baby Smooth and an EJ DE89. Here are my observations/comments regarding the RazoRock Black Mamba razor:

For a “project” razor, the overall fit and finish is exceptionally high. There are no burrs, irregular gaps, dents, gouges, or sharp edges anywhere throughout the razor. There are CNC machine marks under the top cap and bottom plate but they have been polished over and are smooth-to-touch. When placed together, the sides of the top/bottom plates are completely flush with one another. The “uberglide” coating was flawless upon arrival inspection. After 15 shaves, it still looks brand new – The coating is even throughout the head/handle and shows no early signs of degradation (For comparison, the DLC coating of my RR SS began to chip off after a few shaves). Something worth noting is that the head finish is matte while the iKon handle finish is polished and reflective. The big question: Does the coating increase the smoothness of a shave beyond normal plating? Yes...Maybe...Probably...it certainly didn't hurt.

$IMG_20150817_180940-001.jpg$IMG_20150817_195058-001.jpg

Joe has touted the Mamba as a “zero tolerance” razor. Unlike other typical DE razors, you load the blade directly onto the posts of the bottom plate. Once completed, the blade is perfectly straight and there is absolutely zero play. This design does come at a small cost depending on your preference – The tight tolerance means that it takes two hands to carefully remove a blade. I disassemble my razor after every shave and I had to yank the blade off the mounts every time. Honestly, it’s not a big deal to me but it may be to others. The top cap is near “zero tolerance”. Concessions had to be made so that the top and bottom pieces fit together smoothly. For the most part, I screwed everything together and did a passing glance just to make sure it passed the eye-ball test (which it did every time).

$IMG_20150817_180350-001.jpg$IMG_20150817_180549-001.jpg

Performance-wise, Joe has perfected the stainless steel version of the Gillette Tech. My Pre-War Gillette Fat Handle Tech is favorite my razor and I easily adapted to the Mamba. They have the same optimum shaving angle (IMO) and any deviation from this angle will result in zero stubble reduction (as oppose to getting nicks and weepers). The Mamba is extremely forgiving and unlike its reptilian namesake, this Mamba razor is not a biter. The added weight of the Mamba (compared to the Tech) really helped smooth my shaves out. The weight was enough to allow the razor do all the work (unlike the Baby Smooth) but not excessive to the point where it was tiresome to control (Hello, RR DLC SS).

$IMG_20150817_181920-001.jpg

In conclusion, this razor is a Top 3 for me. I am glad that Joe is releasing more so that the masses can enjoy this fine razor. I hope you enjoy this review.

Side note: For comparison, my comments on the V1/V2 Slants and DLC SS can be found here and here.

Very thorough review. Looks like a nice razor.

Many thanks!

Is this considered a mild razor?

I go back and forth on whether I like to use the term "mild" because many associate the word with "does not cut" or "I need 10 passes to obtain BBS bliss". I guess you can call this razor mild in a sense that it has a narrow window where it will shave your stubble. Stay within this window/angle and you are rewarded with a great shave. Stay outside this angle and you are just wiping lather away. For comparison, take a look at the "aggressive" 2011 Muhle R41 Beast. It has a wide window of cutting --- Stay within its optimal angle and you are rewarded with a great shave (like the Mamba). Wander outside this angle and you are slicing yourself (unlike the Mamba).

Also, any idea of when more are being released?

Nope

That is one nice-lookin razor. I love the black finish. I have a RazoRock Mission, and thought maybe I'd pick one of these up. Then I saw the price tag!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Thanks for the excellent review! Got mine yesterday and shaved with it this morning. What a super good shaver this is. Mine is the new version with the Ikon OSS handle. Its a perfect match. I do have a SLAB with that bamboo handle, and love that handle as well. But the OSS is a great match for this head. This finish looks very good me. Although I did not use a loupe like the other poster above. The blade alignment was spot on. It took me a minute figure out how it all went together. It is backwards and counter intuitive from a typical 3 piece razor. But I figured it out. And the shave was absolutely fabulous! 3 Pass BBS with no problems. I also love my early Techs, especially the late 40's models. So this confirms that I am a dedicated LEMS member. I can see this quickly becoming my favorite razor. I have a Baby Smooth on the way too, so we will see where that one fall in line. So far, so great!

Great review!!! I have the original one also. The finish is excellent on mine except for a few threads. The glide is fantastic and the soap scum just wipes off. I completely agree on having to find that optimum shaving angle. It might be impossible to cut yourself with this razor. It has helped my technique a lot without the punishment that goes along with learning to wet shave. I have to remind myself to not use pressure and instead change the angle. It's a fantastic razor and Joe's a genius, I can't wait to see what he comes up with next!! (though my better half doesn't think I need anymore razors:001_rolle....)

Thanks guys for the kind words! I have used the Mamba several times since this review and I have come to the conclusion that the Personna Lab blade is the perfect match for this razor. For some reason that I cannot scientifically explain, the Labs are infinitely times smoother than a Feather, Polsilver SI, or Astra SP blade.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have come to the conclusion that the Personna Lab blade is the perfect match for this razor. For some reason that I cannot scientifically explain, the Labs are infinitely times smoother than a Feather, Polsilver SI, or Astra SP blade.

I have been using mine with a 7 oc Yellow. i have a box of labs, and will try that next. thanks for the tip!

I'm using a feather right now and it's working great. I've also used quite a few shark SC's as they are my preferred blade in my fatboy.

I've used Feathers, Voshkod, and Personna Med Preps. To me the natural characteristics of each individual blade came through.

The Meds were smooth as silk, but left me wanting something sharper when I had more than a days growth.

Voshkods were a little more harsh, seemed to tug a bit ATG, but very serviceable.

And the Feathers are (for me) the perfect pairing for greater than 24hrs growth.

So far I would have to agree, Personna Med Preps (which I believe are the same as the Labs) are a great daily blade for the Mamba. I've used it all week long now and I'm still blown away. I've had closer shaves before, but the best and most consistently close and comfortable shaves of my life have come this past week with the BM. What an amazing tool.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Had another great shave with my Black Mamba today. Fifth shave on a 7 OC Yellow. So I tossed it after the shave. I will try a Lab Blue on my next shave... unless my Baby Smooth arrives first! Then the Black Mamba will go on the rack until I gave the BS a try.

Mine ships on monday!!! Got the bamboo handle along with the new synthetic brush from razorock!!!
Some of you say it's like a tech and some say it's medium aggressive. To me the tech is very mild and my maggard MR1 and 34c are closer to medium than the tech...
I'm hoping it's more aggressive than my 60s tech...

Am I to understand that there are different versions of the mamba? I know there are 2 handles but I got the bamboo without choice. But someone above stated they had the "old version"

Top Bottom