What's new

Razorock Black Hawk V2: pain from lack of pressure?

Today I used my Razorock Black Hawk v2 for the 2nd time. The first use seemed to really tear my head up. Although I didn't suffer any major cuts or nicks (I used a fresh Feather Pro blade), my head and face were sore during and after (for several hours in fact). There seemed to be quite a bit of tugging and chatter, especially when going ATG. It was, to say the least, not a pleasant shave.

Being that the V2 is aluminum, someone suggested that I use a heavier touch to counter the lighter weight. I usually use a light touch, but my handles and heads are heavier. This results in me allowing gravity do a lot of the work.

For my second shave, I did add more pressure. The usual trouble spots still needed multiple passes, but less so. The shave didn't feel comfortable again, especially on my face; same soreness and tugging at times. However, I didn't feel the same pain afterwards. Also, there were spots that seemed to be shaved more efficiently than with my Razorock G37 slant, which I consider my best razor so far. This was another unpleasant shave, but didn't last hours afterwards.

So is the uncomfortable pain during the shave typical (I doubt this), or am I still not adding enough pressure? I'm trying to like this razor, but it doesn't seem as if it's enjoyable to use to me. I don't want to quit using it prematurely, especially if my technique is at fault. Any insight and/or tips are appreciated.

The v2 hawk doesn't need any pressure. Use an angle almost riding the cap. If you're looking for audio feedback and keeping angle and applying pressure accordingly, it won't work.

Unlike DE razor or your German 37 slant, you'll need to learn the technique for AC razors. They operate very silently.

The AC blades are a longer blade and this needs improvising technique. Your usual normal DE strokes and direction may not work as efficiently for this razor.

The hawk has a narrow angle and unlike G37 along tricky areas like the jawline you will find stubble left over. This needs maneuvering the wrist to maintain the narrow razor angle to maintain else it won't cut efficiently.

Riding the guard doesn't work for me at all with the razor.

Find the right angle almost riding the cap, don't expect DE type razor feedback and you'll get a terrific BBS shave!

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Is the narrow angle typical of razors using the AC blades or is that just the Hawk?

I haven’t used them all yet, but the RazoRock Hawk V2 has a narrow range where it’s very efficient and the RazoRock Hawk V3OC has a hyooj range where it’s efficient (riding the cap on the V3 is my favorite way of using that puppy).

@wormspank , the next time you touch your V2 to lather, please pay very good attention to its angle like @luv2shave said. To me, it’s not quite a shallow angle, but as neutralish as that razor’s head allows (doesn’t feel shallow, but looks it). When I got it right with that razor, it felt like the amount of available blade increased noticeably. It’s at that spot — not steep, but not too, too shallow, either — where the RazoRock BlackHawk V2 is both gentlest to skin and wicked towards whiskers.

Is the narrow angle typical of razors using the AC blades or is that just the Hawk?

The razor. I use the Schick Proline blade. Agree with @thombrogan on the angle. I do not use extreme shallow, but start shallow and come to a "neutral" angle where I can sense the razor doing its job and I have to use a lot of wrist movement to maintain that narrow angle consistently over the face contours.

Onn the other side the Hawk V3 OC is another beast. With its OC the razor feels like a straight razor with "pro guard" protection. It doesn't really feel OC at all as the comb is pretty wide like the game changer jaws. Its the best shave I've got next to a straight razor with some serious blade feel. You don't have to worry about the angle at all as there's blade to feel at any angle that you use the razor. Wouldn't recommend it to new users !

And if you want a razor without the "pro guard" feature to protect from the blade - go find an "Asylum RX" razor. Insanely aggressive ! I call it my "death wish" razor.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what angle I'm using it at, as it appears to me that I'm riding the cap or very close to it. The back of my head I do by feel (no mirror or audio feedback), so I could be a little off on the angle, especially in certain areas. I openly admit that I need some improvement in this area in order to cut the hairs more efficiently.

I am a little confused on the pressure though. As I stated in my original post, one gentleman mentioned that my touch was too light. He explained that since the aluminum was a bit lighter than my normal razors, the lack of sufficient pressure was prohibiting the razor from slicing through the hairs easily. As a result, this was leading to the tugging.

I'm not saying he is right or wrong, just restating what he said. I can understand his logic though. This is what has led to some confusion on my part. The Feather Pro blades are, supposedly, the sharpest out there. That said, they should slice through hair a somewhat easier, even with less pressure. So if my angle is correct, then the lack of pressure, or better stated, lack of additional pressure that he suggested, should be sufficient in providing a comfortable shave without tugging?

Top Bottom