What's new

RazoRock BC Silvertip Plissoft - Review, Photos, Measurements

Overview

The RazoRock BC Silvertip Plissoft synthetic shaving brush has been my second shaving brush since I started using it on April 21, 2017, after having used the Semogue 1470 boar brush for over ten months (B&B URL). The RazoRock BC Silvertip Plissoft is inexpensive (~$20) and generally feels and performs well, but the weight of the RazoRock BC Silvertip Plissoft can take a little getting used to and difficulty could be encountered when trying to splay the brush, making the backbone seem too strong at times.

Dimensions

The following table includes official information and my measurements for the brush. My measurements were made using a 0.01 mm resolution digital caliper and a 0.01 g resolution scale when the brush was brand new, after losing a couple of hairs right out of the box, but before any use. Both official and new measurements are approximate.

PropertyOfficial ValueMy Measurement
HairPlissoft Synthetic
Handle MaterialBlack and Clear Acrylic
Knot24 mm
Loft57 mm55.5 mm
Loft Diameter55 mm
Handle Height60 mm60.15 mm
Handle Outer Diameter40.0 mm
Handle Inner Diameter30.3 mm
Total Height117 mm115.65 mm
Mass96 g94.40 g

Photos

Positives

• Except for the two loose fibers that came out of the brush before its first use, the brush has not lost one synthetic hair in over four months of daily use
  • As with all synthetic-hair brushes, the brush (a) does not need to be soaked prior to loading soap or building lather, (b) dries relatively quickly compared to natural-hair brushes, and (c) does not have a breaking-in period because the "hairs" remain as if they are new
  • The tips are much softer than with my broken-in boar brush
  • The backbone is greater than with my broken-in boar brush, which developed many broken and bent hairs
  • The flow of lather through the brush is relatively easy compared to my broken-in boar brush
  • The brush works well in painting lather on the face
  • The handle has a very nice shape and size, which was actually a big selling point to me. Firstly, I was looking for a more ergonomic handle that curved in instead of flaring out at the bottom. Secondly, the handle is long enough and shaped well so that I can generally use the brush without getting lather on my hand. This was not the case with my first shaving brush with its shorter handle that forced gripping of the handle closer to the knot.
  • Cleaning the brush is simple since there are few tight spots for soap to accumulate. There is no metal ring that could accumulate soap at the top of the handle, as experienced with my previous brush, and the handle has nice curves for easy access to wiping off soap residue, with the small exception of the tighter fillet below the black acrylic section.

Negatives

• Right after switching from my 41 g used boar brush to this 94 g synthetic brush, I immediately felt the difference in weight when bowl lathering with a lot of swirling. It took a few days to get used to it.
  • The weight of the acrylic handle makes the brush more likely to fall over when knot-side down in a lathering bowl compared to other brushes. Falling over of the brush happens sometimes.
  • Even though the tips are soft, they can still provide what may be considered a little scratchiness
  • Splaying of the brush can be considered to be irregular. Splaying is easy and smooth when done against a convex surface, such as the chin, because the convex surface easily separates the innermost fibers. However, when attempting to splay the brush against a less convex, flatter, or concave surface, such as the cheek or neck, separating the innermost fibers may not be so easy. In this case, the innermost synthetic hairs can move together and feel like a flexible column that does not splay, requiring a greater force beyond what feels good to initiate splaying. This phenomenon may not be as noticeable when scrubbing with lather, but it is very noticeable when testing the brush dry on the face or on a hand. The backbone that can occur when trying to initiate splaying on flatter surfaces could lead some to believe that the brush is too strong for face lathering.

Final Thoughts

I've liked using my first synthetic brush much more than the boar brush that I used exclusively from the start of DE shaving. I really like how synthetic brushes don't need to be soaked, dry relatively quickly compared to natural-hair brushes, and are consistent over time as if the "hairs" remain new. The RazoRock BC Silvertip Plissoft synthetic shaving brush has worked well, but I have a feeling that I'd prefer a denser knot with a smoother backbone as the knot splays open. Maybe a very nice badger brush might feel and perform better. Nevertheless, the ease of synthetic brushes is very attractive, so I'd like my next brush to be a better synthetic brush, possibly with a black-and-white "tuxedo" knot that has been raved about.

Acknowledgment

Thanks to @steelhead52 for recommending this brush (B&B URL). :thumbup1:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Excellent review. I now know that I am going to buy a synthetic, thanks to your review. I was sitting on the fence. Perhaps I should wait until the tuxedo knot is compared?

I don't have a tuxedo knot, but believe it is only a matter of time before I try one. It would appear they are the gold standard in synthetics at the moment, but I do not speak from personal experience. I only have the 22mm and 24mm RR Plissoft, which to me perform great.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I don't have a tuxedo knot, but believe it is only a matter of time before I try one. It would appear they are the gold standard in synthetics at the moment, but I do not speak from personal experience. I only have the 22mm and 24mm RR Plissoft, which to me perform great.
Well, I wouldn't know a tuxedo knot from a leisure suit knot, so I'm at the mercy of you knot worldly Gentleman helping me out.

Excellent review. I now know that I am going to buy a synthetic, thanks to your review. I was sitting on the fence. Perhaps I should wait until the tuxedo knot is compared?

Glad to help! Maybe someday I'll try a silvertip badger or something like that, but at the moment, I'm really digging synthetics, which just seem to keep getting better over the years from what I've read.

I gotta say, based on what I've read, it really sounds like one of those tuxedo/black-and-white knots is the way to go at the moment as the current "gold standard", as you said.

I did some digging and found good comparison information between the Plissoft and tuxedo/black-and-white knots:

APShaveCo Tuxedo 24mm Knot Review . . .

@ShavingAkimbo: "I purchased the Tuxedo hoping for a softer brush with less backbone than the Plissoft and I got exactly that. It has all the performance benefits of a synthetic with a more natural feeling backbone and is very, very soft. It’s been my go-to brush since I received it. (Still prefer the feel of badger, though) In another thread someone felt that a 26mm version of this knot would be perfect and I completely agree."

tuxedo synthetic knots . . .

@Badger in the Sun: "I have a 24 mm Tuxedo and it's my favorite. I also have the 24 mm Maggard, Whipped Dog, Cashmere, and Sunrise. And I've tried the RazoRock, Sterling Kong, and others. The Tuxedo has zero scritch, unlike some Plisson knots, which can be pokey when you press down to splay. The Tuxedo is denser than the Plisson knots I've tried other than the Maggard, which is also quite dense. Because of that, it dries more slowly than other synthetics, although still much faster than any animal hair knot. The Tuxedo has plenty of backbone and excellent flow through." "The 'pokiness' is my main complaint about the plisson-type knots. The Tuxedo is soft with no prickliness when you press down to splay."

@sandan: "I recently purchased the Maggard tuxedo and am pretty disappointed. Although the tips are soft, it doesn't lather as well as the Plisson style synthetic. Also, it has a very plastic feel on your face. Most of all it sheds like crazy. Picking out fibers embedded in my B and M soap is disgusting and leaves me with wasteful gouges in my soap. Even though its floppy, I prefer the Plisson style synthetic for face lathering. Most of all, I have been more happy and appreciative of my badger brushes since I have been experimenting with synthetics, which to me have gotten softer but not really improved any for face lathering quality. So far for me Badger and boar are much preferred. If I had to pick a synthetic again it would be a Plisson type and probably a Razorock."

@1Vader: "Very good performers, my favorites synthetics actually."

@steelhead52: "I have the Plissoft, Plisson, Plisson Silver Tip, Maggards, AP Shaving Co.'s Tuxedo, Cashmere, and brown horsehair synthetic (22mm but also very soft tips), sunrise, and game changer synthetics. I like all the AP Shaving Co.'s a lot and I think the cashmere is the softest. I like the Tuxedo very much also but the fibers remind me somewhat of some of my better paint brushes as far as springiness and splay, still a great fiber for a shaving brush. My favorite synthetic is my Turtle Shop synthetic Silver Tip Machine #39. It is supposed to be a 24mm but seems a little bigger than my Razorock BC Silvertip (best value when on sale for $12). I find it every bit as soft as the Tuxedo but maybe not quite as soft tipped as the cashmere. These later synthetics are all so good that the differences are becoming inconsequential for performance in building and applying lather." "The Cashmere has finer fibers packed fairly densely. Perhaps not as stiff as the Tuxedo. Both have very soft tips but I personally feel the Cashmere is slightly softer probably because each fiber is thinner to begin with. The Tuxedo is somewhat more popular, but as a bowl latherer, I like the Cashmere the best - I think. I have restored brushes with all three AP Shaving knots."

@slyfox279: "My 30mm tuxcedo has pokiness when pressing down. I much prefer the wolf whiskers which doesn't and is super soft."

Tuxedo synth vs Plissoft . . .

@Demidog: "I haven't used a Tuxedo knot myself but I have noticed that some synthetics take longer to dry, although they are also more absorbent. My Whipped Dog synthetic seems to take a bit longer to dry than my Plissoft, but the fibers also hold more water instead of just trapping it. I think that it's a huge improvement over the Plissoft where the fibers don't seem to absorb any water whatsoever. It's one of the reasons that I prefer the WD synthetic."

I actually have the same problem with scratchiness and splaying difficulty on my original RR Plissoft. Based on another member's suggestion, I carefully picked through the knot and plucked out the few backwards hairs that I could find. That really cut down on the level of scratchiness that I felt but didn't solve the other issues. Thanks for the review; without it I might have tried the silvertip version and found myself rather disappointed.

I actually have the same problem with scratchiness and splaying difficulty on my original RR Plissoft. Based on another member's suggestion, I carefully picked through the knot and plucked out the few backwards hairs that I could find. That really cut down on the level of scratchiness that I felt but didn't solve the other issues. Thanks for the review; without it I might have tried the silvertip version and found myself rather disappointed.

What you said about backwards hairs is interesting. As far as I can tell, the RR BC Silvertip Plissoft that I have does not have any backwards hairs, but it does have a splaying issue and some scratchiness. You're welcome for the review. I'm glad that I could help you make a decision on your next brush. :001_smile

After buying the Razorock BC Silvertip for $12 on sale, I kind of wish I would have stopped there. I have purchased a number of synthetics since because of handles etc. but feel I could of used the money better elsewhere although I enjoy them all. ShavingByTheNumbers, great review, I really enjoyed your perspective vs my thoughts. You really put a great deal of analysis into your thought process. I have gone around the circuit of the synthetics currently available and as a bowl latherer, I still really enjoy this knot. I currently like my Turtleship synthetic Silvertips the best but probably mostly because of the unique handles and I certainly paid a lot more. I have over 3 dozen or so brushes from high end badgers, an assortment of boars, and now a fleet of synthetics. I like them all except 1 lemon HMW badger I bought that I think must have been part dog or goat, and rotate them all once in awhile, but I could of saved a ton of money and been happy with this $12 dollar investment. I guess its like soaps, the diversity and variety is fun and enjoyable. ShavingByTheNumbers, please follow up later as you try different synthetics to see how you think they compare. One thing I'm struggling with on the Tuxedo knots is that Tuxedo is not a brand but more of a style with apparently different Chinese manufacturers. I am seeing a great deal of variation in knot quality. Even from the same vendor, APC Shaving, I believe I am seeing changes in density and bulb shape in various lots purchased. My best Tuxedo knots came from them. Some of the handmade brushes I bought on Etsy have great handles but the knots of so-called Tuxedo knots are not as nice. My recommendation would be to do some research and ask some questions before purchasing Tuxedo knots and stick to reputable vendors if your doing restorations.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
After buying the Razorock BC Silvertip for $12 on sale, I kind of wish I would have stopped there. I have purchased a number of synthetics since because of handles etc. but feel I could of used the money better elsewhere although I enjoy them all. ShavingByTheNumbers, great review, I really enjoyed your perspective vs my thoughts. You really put a great deal of analysis into your thought process. I have gone around the circuit of the synthetics currently available and as a bowl latherer, I still really enjoy this knot. I currently like my Turtleship synthetic Silvertips the best but probably mostly because of the unique handles and I certainly paid a lot more. I have over 3 dozen or so brushes from high end badgers, an assortment of boars, and now a fleet of synthetics. I like them all except 1 lemon HMW badger I bought that I think must have been part dog or goat, and rotate them all once in awhile, but I could of saved a ton of money and been happy with this $12 dollar investment. I guess its like soaps, the diversity and variety is fun and enjoyable. ShavingByTheNumbers, please follow up later as you try different synthetics to see how you think they compare. One thing I'm struggling with on the Tuxedo knots is that Tuxedo is not a brand but more of a style with apparently different Chinese manufacturers. I am seeing a great deal of variation in knot quality. Even from the same vendor, APC Shaving, I believe I am seeing changes in density and bulb shape in various lots purchased. My best Tuxedo knots came from them. Some of the handmade brushes I bought on Etsy have great handles but the knots of so-called Tuxedo knots are not as nice. My recommendation would be to do some research and ask some questions before purchasing Tuxedo knots and stick to reputable vendors if your doing restorations.
I really like your post for being honest and accurate, we all can go on a tangent in our hobby and brushes seem to be your tangent.(no harm done just a little poorer maybe!)

Thanks for sharing your experience. You sure have a lot of it! Wow! Over three dozen brushes is way beyond me. My grand total is still a whopping two. :001_smile The RR BC Silvertip Plissoft is good and I'm still using it, so I can understand why you enjoy it. It is a good value, too. What you wrote about Tuxedo and Tuxedo-like quality is very important: "Even from the same vendor, APC Shaving, I believe I am seeing changes in density and bulb shape in various lots purchased." That's concerning. It sounds like Tuxedo knots have a ways to go on consistent quality.

Thanks for sharing your experience. You sure have a lot of it! Wow! Over three dozen brushes is way beyond me. My grand total is still a whopping two. :001_smile The RR BC Silvertip Plissoft is good and I'm still using it, so I can understand why you enjoy it. It is a good value, too. What you wrote about Tuxedo and Tuxedo-like quality is very important: "Even from the same vendor, APC Shaving, I believe I am seeing changes in density and bulb shape in various lots purchased." That's concerning. It sounds like Tuxedo knots have a ways to go on consistent quality.

Your the smart one. You're doing the homework and will end up with brushes that are very pleasing to you.

Your the smart one. You're doing the homework and will end up with brushes that are very pleasing to you.

That would make a good line in a fortune cookie. :001_smile Thanks, @steelhead52. Hey, I was just following your advice on getting this brush. It was good advice! Thanks! I hope that my next brush is even better, and with advice from experienced brush owners like you, I think that I can manage that. :thumbup:

P.S. Did you know that SBAD (shaving brush acquisition disorder) is in the B&B abbreviations list, but BAD is not there? Shouldn't it be there?

Top Bottom