What's new

Razorock BBS vs Game changer what's the difference?

just got mail from italian barber, the bbs is available

And before I get all excited about it I would like to find out how it compares with the Game Changer? What are the differences?

Ha ha. Well .. I don't have a single Razorock item. Got the same email and figured, what the heck and ordered it anyway.

I've begun to wonder just how many avenues to BBS can there be? I'm already there with a number of cherished choices. Do I need yet another, and if so, why?

I don't have a Razorock razor either and just when I felt tempted to get one of the GC's this one pops up so I wonder what the differences are?
Sorry. Can't help you there. I only have 2 DE's I use in my rotation. Blackland Blackbird and Timeless Ti 0.95. Did pre-order my Blackland Tradere but not sure when that will start shipping.

Need something to kill my time .. LOL.

just got mail from italian barber, the bbs is available

And before I get all excited about it I would like to find out how it compares with the Game Changer? What are the differences?

You can find tons of reviews for the Al and Ti versions which have been around for years. The BBS Is a slight step up from a mamba but milder than a GC. The bend on the blade will also require a different shaving angle.

I have owned a bunch of RR razors. Both Mambas, both GCs, Lupo, and SLOC. In total 6 razors. Of those razors I have sold 3 (2 Mambas and GC84) and kept 3 and of the ones I kept, I currently use none.

It isn't that these are not excellent razors and made very well, especially considering the cost of them. They just don't shave quite as well as my Tatara Masamune, WR2 or Karve CB. And the difference is noticeable to me. I'd sell the SLOC and Lupo, but they are just so inexpensive that selling them doesn't make sense. I'll just keep them around for my son and he can use them as beginner tools when he needs to start shaving in a few years. If he breaks any of them, my heart won't sink.

As such, I have decided not to pursue the BBS. I am on the waitlist for a WR1 and I suspect that will be my last purchase for a while until/unless Carbon Shaving comes out with their minus plate.

I ordered the BBS after I dropped my other safety razor on the tile in the shower, we shall see how it goes. I have three others that get used but none I'm in love with, the Merkur 34HD (I think that is what it is, 8 years old) works fine but I never loved it. Will report back on how the BBS works, should be fun learning how to shave with it and a feather blade...

The BBS is basically a stainless steel version of the Baby Smooth. It bends the blade even a hair more than the aluminium Baby Smooth does, and the aluminium Baby Smooth is effectively an aluminium version of the Merkur 45.
In comparison, the Game Changer doesn't bend the blade as much. It's closer to a round bottom Tech in this, although I get better shaves from the GC and the Baby Smooth then I get from Tech-style heads.

First shave with mine today.
Pre Shave ETHOS First Lather
Blade PolSilver
Soap ETHOS Succes
AS ETHOS Succes
If you don’t mind a 3 pass shave this razor delivers a very smooth 3 pass BBS. It is probably one of the smoothest razors ATG that I have ever used. I would put it on the mild side of mid aggressive but with 3 passes it delivers and it really is very smooth.
044F8979-DE4C-4A84-BF86-433719D14D1E.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
First shave with mine today.
Pre Shave ETHOS First Lather
Blade PolSilver
Soap ETHOS Succes
AS ETHOS Succes
If you don’t mind a 3 pass shave this razor delivers a very smooth 3 pass BBS. It is probably one of the smoothest razors ATG that I have ever used. I would put it on the mild side of mid aggressive but with 3 passes it delivers and it really is very smooth.View attachment 1131891

Thank you for your comments on the BBS. Interesting razor.

I have the .84 Game Changer in both SB and the JAWS version. Love both of the razors and when I got the e-mail immediately ordered the BBS. I posted on B&B that they sell out almost instantly and today when I checked it was sold out in all incarnations (handles) in less than twenty four hours. The two that I have are really excellent values and I expect that the BBS will also not disappoint.

I really like their philosophy on not polishing the razors in order to preserve the tolerances as well as to keep the price down. I do not know of a better value in modern 316 stainless steel razors.

I have owned a bunch of RR razors. Both Mambas, both GCs, Lupo, and SLOC. In total 6 razors. Of those razors I have sold 3 (2 Mambas and GC84) and kept 3 and of the ones I kept, I currently use none.

It isn't that these are not excellent razors and made very well, especially considering the cost of them. They just don't shave quite as well as my Tatara Masamune, WR2 or Karve CB. And the difference is noticeable to me. I'd sell the SLOC and Lupo, but they are just so inexpensive that selling them doesn't make sense. I'll just keep them around for my son and he can use them as beginner tools when he needs to start shaving in a few years. If he breaks any of them, my heart won't sink.

As such, I have decided not to pursue the BBS. I am on the waitlist for a WR1 and I suspect that will be my last purchase for a while until/unless Carbon Shaving comes out with their minus plate.

Good comparison!!

My take is that you have some of the ’best of the best’ razors in current production!! TATRA, Karve CB, and Wolfman WR2. Your upcoming WR1 (my personal favorite) is the only one likely to work into that rotation!! :a29: :a29:

Most of those Razorocks are the meh models. I've found the best all around Game Changer is the 68 OC. The 84 SB is nice but it's a little too hot to use daily all week. The Hawk V3 standard is also excellent. It gets out of that SE groupthink of unnecessary aggression and the cutaway head isn't a boat anchor like the Mongoose or other stainless SEs. As a matter of fact, the GC 68 OC and the Hawk V3 are my favorite DE and SE right now. I've got everything from New Deluxe to Ti Timeless, ATT SE, General SE, and dozens of other razors and I could live with the GC 68 OC and the Hawk V3 only.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I just got the Mamba 70 so I'm out. Good luck to all who purchase the new BBS. The Mamba was a good purchase for me. Have only used it twice and both times the shaves were excellent. Will be using it again tomorrow morning. For the price it's really good in my opinion, YMMV.

JCarr, I love the Mamba70 and use it often. Just got the BBS and it looks, feels and shaves very similarly. To me, the Mamba70 still feels smoother on my face but both are very smooth and irritation free. The BBS has slightly more blade feel, shaves at a different angle and isn’t as care free a shave. Both are great razors. Enjoy what you have.

JCarr, I love the Mamba70 and use it often. Just got the BBS and it looks, feels and shaves very similarly. To me, the Mamba70 still feels smoother on my face but both are very smooth and irritation free. The BBS has slightly more blade feel, shaves at a different angle and isn’t as care free a shave. Both are great razors. Enjoy what you have.
This was about the same for me. The BSS doesn't have much blade feel, but some and a little more than either of the Mambas.

Top Bottom