What's new

Razorock BBS First Impressions

So I’ve been using the BBS for a few months now. I’ve been having decent shaves, but a few problems. The biggest problems were weepers and irritation on the sensitive spots of my necks. It got bad enough that I stopped using it and went back to my Gamechanger.

Well, to make a long story short I figured out the problem. And it’s an easy fix. Instead Of using a 35 degree angle as suggested on the Razorock website, I was using more like a 55 degree angle; I was going the opposite way from the usual 45 degree angle of most other razors.

It can be a little counterintuitive, but once I got to actually shaving at a 35 degree angle(instead of 45 or 55 degrees) my shaves have completely changed. The last 3 shaves have been the best in my 5 years of wet shaving. Every shave has been BBS, with absolutely no irritation or weepers.

If your having issues with the BBS, check your blade angle, the closer you are to 35 degrees the better your shave will be.

The SS BBS is my new favorite, absolutely a joy to use. Tomorrow I think I’m going to buy a second one.

Happy shaving
Well that is good advice, but unfortunately I already got rid of it!

So I’ve been using the BBS for a few months now. I’ve been having decent shaves, but a few problems. The biggest problems were weepers and irritation on the sensitive spots of my necks. It got bad enough that I stopped using it and went back to my Gamechanger.

Well, to make a long story short I figured out the problem. And it’s an easy fix. Instead Of using a 35 degree angle as suggested on the Razorock website, I was using more like a 55 degree angle; I was going the opposite way from the usual 45 degree angle of most other razors.

It can be a little counterintuitive, but once I got to actually shaving at a 35 degree angle(instead of 45 or 55 degrees) my shaves have completely changed. The last 3 shaves have been the best in my 5 years of wet shaving. Every shave has been BBS, with absolutely no irritation or weepers.

If your having issues with the BBS, check your blade angle, the closer you are to 35 degrees the better your shave will be.

The SS BBS is my new favorite, absolutely a joy to use. Tomorrow I think I’m going to buy a second one.

Happy shaving

Hi @SonofdavidS,
I am quite impressed by RR Baby Smooth (aluminum).
It's very smooth and efficient.
Now I am on the fence of getting RR GC84 SB.
Could you give me some opinions about RR GC48 SB vs. RR Baby Smooth?
Thanks a lot.

I have a relatively sensitive skin as well and learned a mild razor wasn't the best choice for me , personally I get a much better result with slightly more aggressive razor and blade such as the Rockwell 6S and RR GC 0.84 loaded with a polsilver, Perma sharp or king c blade

Hi @SonofdavidS,
I am quite impressed by RR Baby Smooth (aluminum).
It's very smooth and efficient.
Now I am on the fence of getting RR GC84 SB.
Could you give me some opinions about RR GC48 SB vs. RR Baby Smooth?
Thanks a lot.
The RR Gamechanger 84 is a great razor, my favorite before the SS BBS. The optimal shave angle is conventional, around 45 degrees. It’s very smooth, but a hair lees smooth than the BBS. It is a little more aggressive, which I enjoyed. But it wasn’t overly aggressive by any means.

I like the fact that it is so customizable, you can get open or closed comb, or you could even get the less aggressive 62 if you wanted to as well.

Last but not least, it’s a stainless steel razor. More durable than plated razors, easier to keep clean as well.

In my opinion, Razorock has the corner on the value razor market. The quality of their razors are on par with razors 2-4 times more expensive, and the performance is as good as any razor I’ve ever used.

I was pleasantly surprised with the BBS and a Feather blade. I think the blade curvature makes it easier to maintain a good shaving angle. I had no irritation or nicks, but I’ve been shaving with DEs a very long time, and it’s rare for me to get those. I just thought the shave was smoother and closer.

I also have the Game Changer 0.84 and GC 0.68. Both give good shaves, but are more like traditional DEs. The BBS is noticeably different - Maybe it should have been called the Game Changer.

- Greenhouse

Reactions: nav

Happy shaving

I’m getting great shaved with my new GC .84 and “ok” shaves with the BBS.

When you explain the degree of angle, so I understand @SonofdavidS, are you riding the cap? Is the handle closer or further away from your face?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I figured I would chime in as I received my BBS last Wednesday and have been shaving with it every 2 days or so. To assist with my description of how the BBS shaves, I wanted to advise what I have used up to this point:

• Merkur 34c
  • Razorock Mission / Mentor
  • Maggards V3A
  • Razorock MJ90 + A plate
  • Razorock Lupo
  • Rockwell 6c (plates 3 and 4)
  • Gillette Red Tip (1956)
  • Muhle Rocca R94
...might I add that I really enjoy the Razorock offering of Razors!

As with most, I've found different blades work better with different razors. I've found out however that Gillette Silver Blues, 7o'clock Yellows and Voskhod blades work best with the above for me. I typically use the more aggressive options so as to cut down multiple passes in certain areas, which in turn reduces inflammation and weepers/razor burn. However, with the milder options like the 34c, due to the prominent blade exposure, I've increased the aggression slightly by adding shims. This results in a much closer and smoother shave.

With the BBS, however, I found that this was a different razor altogether - the blade feel is almost non existent to the point that I only knew I was removing hair after seeing it bunched up in the lather I was removing from the razor when rinsing. You don't get blade chatter due to the aggressive bend the razor is meant to have inside the BBS, putting it at a much different angle than other razors.

Astonishingly, When I began using it, I had just come off of using my Muhle Rocca about 3 days before which left some razor burn. After the first day, I began following up every 2 days with the BBS. Not only has it left my face nice and smooth with a single WTG/XTG/ATG pass each, it has also been mild enough on the skin to allow the razor bumps to nearly disappear. I am switching to a new blade tonight (Voskhod works well in it) and expect good results as this will be my 4th time using it.

Some razors require a bit of patience in getting used to, but yield great results in the end. It's about thinking outside of the box and creating an enjoyable experience. If you find that you have a Merkur 34c and it works, then go for it. In fact, try adding 2 shims to bump the aggression slightly and you may find that was all you needed.

(PS - for those not in the know, a shim is merely a razor blade devoid of its edges. use some scissors to cut the edges off of both sides, and when loading your blade in the razor, place the bladeless razorblades underneath the blade you are using, and load it as usual. You should have a slight increase in blade gap. I've used up to 4 at a time with some razors like the 34c and have had amazing results.)

Happy shaving
Any chance you can clarify - are you increasing the angle to ride more of the cap or the bar? Thanks.

Any chance you can clarify - are you increasing the angle to ride more of the cap or the bar? Thanks.
Closer to the bar, not the cap. I try to make a little game of keeping the handle as close to my face as I can while still shaving the lather from your face. To clarify, the end of the handle needs to be brought in towards the face as much as you can.

You’ll know you’ve brought it in too much when you are no longer removing lather with your blade.

Does that make sense?

I’m getting great shaved with my new GC .84 and “ok” shaves with the BBS.

When you explain the degree of angle, so I understand @SonofdavidS, are you riding the cap? Is the handle closer or further away from your face?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The handle is closer to the face. Read the reply I posted before this.

Good luck and keep me posted!

Closer to the bar, not the cap. I try to make a little game of keeping the handle as close to my face as I can while still shaving the lather from your face. To clarify, the end of the handle needs to be brought in towards the face as much as you can.

You’ll know you’ve brought it in too much when you are no longer removing lather with your blade.

Does that make sense?
Makes perfect sense. Thank you. I was getting terrible shaves with it riding the cap. I will have to take it out of retirement and see how it works riding the bar more. Thanks!

Top Bottom