What's new

Razorock .68 OC mild or a beast?

I wouldn't let that one review change your decision. I don't have a GC 68OC but I have a 68SB and 84SB and I would expect it to be in the middle of those, which would be at the bottom of the medium or top of the mild category. I have the 68OC on my wishlist.

I tend to ignore the outliers - the very few extreme negative and positive reviews. In this case, I would also ignore the gushing review right below the one you cited. When I see "...best razor ever..." I take that with a grain of salt too.

Anyway, I have both a 68P and 68OC. The P version is a fantastic shaver, mild yet efficient, though I haven't yet used the OC. This thread has me wondering, so maybe tomorrow...

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Interesting review. I wanted to dismiss it, but I have a DSCosmetic clone of the .68 with a dual comb. I found it to be the worst razor I used, too... just too inefficient. So maybe the review he wrote isn't entirely without a point. It was indeed hard work to achieve a BBS. But also very hard work to shave yourself bloody with it. I couldn't have managed that trying to do so.

My suggestion: Would rather get the .84 SB to be on the safe side. The OC or JAWS might be too harsh for some indeed.

The other thing is, no matter how hard other people try and how educated their guess is, in the end you will have to try yourself.
My general assessment is that the .68 Game Changers are too mild for me. But I like more aggressive razors in general.

If I had to get rid of all my razors and keep only one it's the one I'd keep. It will bite, but it's no butcher. It's very smooth and efficient to me and completely deserves a five star rating in my opinion. It's great for taking down several days growth as well as for daily use.

I tend to ignore the outliers - the very few extreme negative and positive reviews. In this case, I would also ignore the gushing review right below the one you cited. When I see "...best razor ever..." I take that with a grain of salt too.

Anyway, I have both a 68P and 68OC. The P version is a fantastic shaver, mild yet efficient, though I haven't yet used the OC. This thread has me wondering, so maybe tomorrow...
Yeah, give the OC a go and report back. I'd be very interested how it goes, especailly compared to the 68P.

Interesting review. I wanted to dismiss it, but I have a DSCosmetic clone of the .68 with a dual comb. I found it to be the worst razor I used, too... just too inefficient. So maybe the review he wrote isn't entirely without a point. It was indeed hard work to achieve a BBS. But also very hard work to shave yourself bloody with it. I couldn't have managed that trying to do so.

My suggestion: Would rather get the .84 SB to be on the safe side. The OC or JAWS might be too harsh for some indeed.

The other thing is, no matter how hard other people try and how educated their guess is, in the end you will have to try yourself.
My general assessment is that the .68 Game Changers are too mild for me. But I like more aggressive razors in general.
I have the DSCosmetics DS8, which is the SB version of what you have. So the RR 68OC is basically what the open comb side of your dual comb is. So, it's very hard to shave yourself bloody with the SB side but with the OC side as well? Can you elaborate on what you think of the open comb side of the DSCosmetics?

If I had to get rid of all my razors and keep only one it's the one I'd keep. It will bite, but it's no butcher. It's very smooth and efficient to me and completely deserves a five star rating in my opinion. It's great for taking down several days growth as well as for daily use.
I like everything except the "it will bite" part. :001_smile

All razors will bite---even those with negative exposure. It's just the nature of the beast. How else will it cut stubble? As long as you're not broke out with teenage acne I wouldn't worry about it. I've been bitten by a tech and the SLOC and they are known for being mild.
I agree about the SLOC being mild, but I think that popular notion that techs are so mild is off. It certainly hasn't been my, granted limited, experience with them.

Both GC 68P and OC are great razors.
Safe and so-so efficient
May be a great product that will leave its name as easy to handle for everyone like 34C and R89

However, I feel that GC 84P has more fans, and in fact, 68P seems to be mildly efficient to me.

If you like feather blades, the 68 might be a good match for you.
If you prefer a mild razor shave, this is definitely a good product.
Anyway, it's a matter of your preference, give it a try.

I have the 68 OC but felt it's a bit too efficient for my skin, though the shave is incredibly smooth. I therefore put up the OC plate for trade the other day on the BST, for the regular SB plate:

I would call it medium efficiency, certainly not mild.

I have the 68 OC but felt it's a bit too efficient for my skin, though the shave is incredibly smooth. I therefore put up the OC plate for trade the other day on the BST, for the regular SB plate:

I would call it medium efficiency, certainly not mild.
Yeah, that's kind of my concern too. I have pretty sensitive skin as well. Thanks.

The GC 68OC is one of my favorite razors! I like mild razors like the Tatara Masamune, Razorock Mamba 70 and Lupo Aluminum. For me the 68OC fits into this group (leaning towards being more efficient and providing a closer shave). I think it would be very difficult to nick myself with the 68OC and find it very face friendly. It’s great under and around the nostrils too. I Prefer 68OC to all of the other Game Changer heads (I have them all). Just my 2 cents.

The GC 68OC is one of my favorite razors! I like mild razors like the Tatara Masamune, Razorock Mamba 70 and Lupo Aluminum. For me the 68OC fits into this group (leaning towards being more efficient and providing a closer shave). I think it would be very difficult to nick myself with the 68OC and find it very face friendly. It’s great under and around the nostrils too. I Prefer 68OC to all of the other Game Changer heads (I have them all). Just my 2 cents.
Thanks. That helps.

Yeah, give the OC a go and report back. I'd be very interested how it goes, especailly compared to the 68P.

So, I used the 68OC today for the first time. I bought this one thinking I would use it if I ever had a 3-4 day (or more) stubble, thinking the open comb would be better suited to the task than my 68P.

Anyway, two-day growth, new Astra SP, Martin DE Candre soap. The shave went very well, no blood, near BBS. As far as comparing it to my 68P, it felt a tad more agressive, but it really didn't translate to a more efficient shave, at least not noticeable. I did my normal 3-pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG) and got basically the same shave as the 68P, though I did mind the edges of my jaw and the loose skin on my old-man neck - I proceeded more slowly and deliberately than I do with the 68P.

I'm a mindless shaver that loves mild razors. I don't want to sacrifice a mild shave to use a more agressive razor that (in this case) might give a slightly more efficient shave.

All to say: the 68OC is going back in a drawer, only to be used to mow down a much heavier growth, if that ever even happens. I'm going to keep using the 68P, which for me, is plenty of razor.

Not sure if that helps, especially considering that everyone is different, and it is only my opinion.

@gpjoe thanks for clear and straightforward explanation, we rarely see on B&B personal adherence towards shave-style or end-results, as razors themselves are the main topic (built quality, price, looks, materials...) but at the end - what is more important journey or the destination? 🤔

Shave-wise, I tend to incline to end result more. Did have my eye on some RR OCs for looks and materials but I'd also choose easy ride razor that delivers +80% DFS over too aggressive razor that requires 101% of my attention.

So, I used the 68OC today for the first time. I bought this one thinking I would use it if I ever had a 3-4 day (or more) stubble, thinking the open comb would be better suited to the task than my 68P.

Anyway, two-day growth, new Astra SP, Martin DE Candre soap. The shave went very well, no blood, near BBS. As far as comparing it to my 68P, it felt a tad more agressive, but it really didn't translate to a more efficient shave, at least not noticeable. I did my normal 3-pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG) and got basically the same shave as the 68P, though I did mind the edges of my jaw and the loose skin on my old-man neck - I proceeded more slowly and deliberately than I do with the 68P.

I'm a mindless shaver that loves mild razors. I don't want to sacrifice a mild shave to use a more agressive razor that (in this case) might give a slightly more efficient shave.

All to say: the 68OC is going back in a drawer, only to be used to mow down a much heavier growth, if that ever even happens. I'm going to keep using the 68P, which for me, is plenty of razor.

Not sure if that helps, especially considering that everyone is different, and it is only my opinion.
Thanks a lot for the feedback. Sounds like you know yourself and what works for you. I'm a pretty mindless shaver too. I just always seem to be getting lured by the next step up in efficiency. I imagine if I shaved with the 68OC I would have the same experience as you.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Sounds like you know yourself and what works for you. I'm a pretty mindless shaver too. I just always seem to be getting lured by the next step up in efficiency. I imagine if I shaved with the 68OC I would have the same experience as you.

Just happy I didnt have the same result as the reviewer, though I didnt expect to, which brings me back to my original point about ignoring the reviews on the outer edge of the curve.

We don't know anything about the people writing the review, or their level of experience. This guy claims to be experienced, but 6 passes? Any face would be angry after being treated to that abuse.

My mildest razors have never failed to get the job done in 3 passes, and I'm still learning.

Top Bottom