What's new

razorock 0.84 OC vs razorock 0.84 jaws

I have the jaws. It's a very efficient razor, but I also find it harsh/rough if that makes sense. It's not a particularly smooth razor for me. How does the regular 0.84 open comb compare to it? is it just as aggressive/harsh as the jaws or is it a bit milder than the jaws? looking for comparison of the 2 razors and if I should buy a regular 0.84 open comb.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I have both and much prefer the OC. The JAWS shaves perhaps a bit closer, at risk of injuries at corners of the chin due to the wide spacing. The OC very much achieves the same, maybe a tad less, but it is way more difficult to injure yourself by accident and it isn't as harsh. But it isn't also the smoothest. You won't turn the OC into an always-smooth-sailing razor either.

The Lupo .95 OC is very smooth and I haven't used the Game Changers since I got it. It required the .95 OC for me, the dual comb with .95 SB and .72 OC side didn't do it for me. But if you want to avoid rough, the Lupo .95 OC does it better than the .84 OC. Both can give you a BBS.
To put it bluntly, the OC would be an improvement, the Lupo .95 OC would IMO give you what you are looking for even more so.

The GC .84 OC is rough as well. Especially if you go steep or neutral. I would agree the Lupo 95 OC is better in this respect, less roughness than .84 OC

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Harshness is a reminder to check how much pressure is being used, the angle, and the hydration of the lather (and the lamentations of the women?). If a RazoRock JAWS 0.84 doesn’t shame a fresh jar of Skippy in the smoothness department, we can always work on those three factors until it does.

A lot of razors help me tell myself my skin is so sensitive and my whiskers are preternaturally dense, thick, and tougher than Kevlar-shielded titanium, but the RazoRock JAWS 0.84 just says two things:

1. I did something wrong
2. I’m a smooth piggy and it’s time to splash on aftershave and roll in the mud.

The only safety razor I enjoy more than the RazoRock JAWS 0.84 is the RazoRock Hawk V3OC, which is essentially the JAWS with an 18mm wider blade.

I have all three of the GC razors. The first one that would leave the bunch would be the OC. I try and ask myself what I’m looking for in a razor when I think about these questions:
That if I need a JAWS (how often) to get through my shave, I’ll use the JAWS. If not I would grab the SB. For me, it is one of my best razors for a mindless, fast, but pretty darn good shave. The OC just doesn’t do or check any boxes that the other two don’t, or can’t.

Harshness is a reminder to check how much pressure is being used, the angle, and the hydration of the lather (and the lamentations of the women?). If a RazoRock JAWS 0.84 doesn’t shame a fresh jar of Skippy in the smoothness department, we can always work on those three factors until it does.

A lot of razors help me tell myself my skin is so sensitive and my whiskers are preternaturally dense, thick, and tougher than Kevlar-shielded titanium, but the RazoRock JAWS 0.84 just says two things:

1. I did something wrong
2. I’m a smooth piggy and it’s time to splash on aftershave and roll in the mud.

The only safety razor I enjoy more than the RazoRock JAWS 0.84 is the RazoRock Hawk V3OC, which is essentially the JAWS with an 18mm wider blade.
Again, YMMV. I have the Jaws & .84 OC and the Hawk V3 OC as well. The .84 is milder, but enough like the JAWS that I suspect you'd find the same issue. The only one I enjoy is the Hawk, and it not nearly as much as my V1 & V2 Asylum RXs (more aggressive and more efficient).

I can get good shaves from the RRs, but generally find more efficiency and longer lasting shaves from other razors. RR makes absolutely gorgeous excellently priced razors, but for some reason they just don't take my fancy, whereas Karve, arguably more "boring" in style, does.

The .84 OC is smoother. I had the .68 JAWS and preferred the .84OC. I would imagine the .84 jaws is harsher than the .68 jaws. I had the same issue as Iridian but with the .68 Jaws I caught my chin a couple times between the teeth and nicked myself. That never happened to me before or since. I can’t speak to the Lupo OC.

Top Bottom