What's new

Razorine Flatboy 72

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Razorine Flatboy 72

Flatboy1.jpg

This razor is still a bit an enigma for me. I don't know much about the company Razorine at all, apparently one person involved there is named Gianni and they are supposedly made in Italy.

I got this one from Soul Objects in Berlin, otherwise they seem to be only available at Shave Nation, I found no other sources yet.

There are two versions, both seem identical except for slightly different handles. The Flatboy 70 has some knurling, the Flatboy 72 spirals.
I would recommend the knurling, as the head is so very much rounded that I almost slipped the razorblade into my fingers thrice. Once only the towel saved me!

Flatboy2.jpg

This handle needs no washer, as it leaves a huge gap between plate and handle. It doesn't look as if this handle was made for this head, would prefer it to fit a bit more like the Blackbird. The diameter seems to be 12,5 mm, as it fits the stand of the Tatara Masamune Nodachi which has this diameter. The "heads up" for the red brush means that it is next in brush rotation, if anyone wonders about this detail.

Flatboy4.jpg

And lo behold, it also fits the polished Blackbird head nicely. The polish is more of a semi polish, it's not a high mirror, but quite shiny.

Razorbird.jpg

Skulls & Razorbirds!

I disassembled the razor. The head is brass, the handle stainless steel of unknown make.

Flatboy3.jpg

I also shaved with it a few minutes ago, during the day. I could not resist.

Impressions:
1.) Aggressive to very aggressive. This one can bite if you are not careful! The blade touches the skin before the safety bar. Quite some exposure, but the gap is not that large.
2.) Shaves very steep - which is something I prefer, I liked that.
3.) ATG pass was barely necessary, WTG cleared almost everything. An "inspection pass" with my favored Timeless Slim found no renegade stubble. So I give it a very high efficiency.

The blade is exposed and does quite chatter and produce sound, but is also shaves extremely close. It is also even mild while doing so, but very much like the Wunderbar with high potential to cut deeply.

The head is very flat, it's easy to shave under the nostrils.

Verdict: Unlike Razorock razors this one isn't much into clamping or bending the blade, but works a lot of protruding blade and a relatively small gap, it is already way more aggressive than a Game Changer .84 or Lupo .95 at its suspected 0.7 gap.

The thread screws not as buttery and smoothly in as for my Timeless and some other razors. I think @Medivh will love this one. I would even buy another one with a full SS head. But that's just me, I have a steel fetish. The bronze head feels very good in temperature & weight and glides nicely over the skin.

P.S. I used a Nacet and Gillette Shaving Gel.

Razorine Flatboy 72

View attachment 1450699

This razor is still a bit an enigma for me. I don't know much about the company Razorine at all, apparently one person involved there is named Gianni and they are supposedly made in Italy.

I got this one from Soul Objects in Berlin, otherwise they seem to be only available at Shave Nation, I found no other sources yet.

There are two versions, both seem identical except for slightly different handles. The Flatboy 70 has some knurling, the Flatboy 72 spirals.
I would recommend the knurling, as the head is so very much rounded that I almost slipped the razorblade into my fingers thrice. Once only the towel saved me!

View attachment 1450700

This handle needs no washer, as it leaves a huge gap between plate and handle. It doesn't look as if this handle was made for this head, would prefer it to fit a bit more like the Blackbird. The diameter seems to be 12,5 mm, as it fits the stand of the Tatara Masamune Nodachi which has this diameter. The "heads up" for the red brush means that it is next in brush rotation, if anyone wonders about this detail.

View attachment 1450702

And lo behold, it also fits the polished Blackbird head nicely. The polish is more of a semi polish, it's not a high mirror, but quite shiny.

View attachment 1450703

Skulls & Razorbirds!

I disassembled the razor. The head is brass, the handle stainless steel of unknown make.

View attachment 1450701

Impressions:
1.) Aggressive to very aggressive. This one can bite if you are not careful! The blade touches the skin before the safety bar. Quite some exposure, but the gap is not that large.
3.) ATG pass was barely necessary, WTG cleared almost everything. An "inspection pass" with my favored Timeless Slim found no renegade stubble. So I give it a very high efficiency.

The blade is exposed and does quite chatter and produce sound, but is also shaves extremely close. It is also even mild while doing so, but very much like the Wunderbar with high potential to cut deeply.

Verdict: Unlike Razorock razors this one isn't much into clamping or bending the blade, but works a lot of protruding blade and a relatively small gap, it is already way more aggressive than a Game Changer .84 or Lupo .95 at its suspected 0.7 gap.

The thread screws not as buttery and smoothly in as for my Timeless and some other razors. I think @Medivh will love this one. I would even buy another one with a full SS head. But that's just me, I have a steel fetish. The bronze head feels very good in temperature & weight and glides nicely over the skin.

Considering the price, I will definitely keep an eye on this one. Thanks for the review.

Reactions: Kix
Thank you for the wonderful write up and the photos.

I ordered one after seeing Geofatboy's video. I am a sucker for blade feel. Your review excites me about the level of blade feel with this razor.

Will be some time before it reaches my shores !

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Razorine Flatboy 72

View attachment 1450699

View attachment 1450700

View attachment 1450702

View attachment 1450703

Skulls & Razorbirds!

View attachment 1450701

Impressions:

Beautiful looking razor, I really like the handle on it, its got that whole light saber thing going on with it, which I approve of. The head looks a bit on the flat side, which is kind of weird. GeoFatBoy just recently featured these razors on his channel if I recall correctly. That aggression you speak of tells me that this is most certainly, not a newbie's razor. This razor is for experienced DE users only.

But I hear ya on the smooth handles. My most recent razor acquisition, is the Merkur Futur razor, and as you know, they have smooth handles. Normally, thats not an issue! However, if you get soap on your hands, well, then life begins to get interesting, as your face and neck literally hangs in the balance, as you live on the edge. One slip, and well, here comes the weepers, na na na na, then come crimson rivers, its not alright. :lol:

Glad you enjoy your new razor. Be sure to let GeoFatBoy know how much you like it.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Glad you enjoy your new razor. Be sure to let GeoFatBoy know how much you like it.
I bought it in Europe, I still haven't watched more than a few seconds of his review yet, but will do so right now.
The head is rounded, quite smooth, try wrenching that from a handle that is also rounded like that. Don't worry about grip though, the spirals won't let it slip from your hand, vertically you do have grip. The head with its flat and round shape requires quite some towel, I do not recommend trying to screw it off without one, this is the razor most likely to slip the finger straight into the blade I had so far.

Received mine today from Shave Nation. The head is a very light brass finish as compared to a CG which is red brass. I chose the smaller stainless steel handle and did a one pass shave using Nivea foam cream. The head is very flat and the exposure looks wide but the shave was butter smooth. Because the head protrudes a lot there is noise (chatter) which I expected because of the blade exposure. For $43 don't expect a CG head. But I really like the way the head performed. Close and smooth. I am going to use a Timeless ti handle tomorrow.

Razorine Flatboy.JPG

RDT_20220513_2337083984730838938531908.jpg

So I got my Rozorine Flatboy 70 and I didn't quite like the handle. The finishing on it was relatively... Unenthusiastic... And the knurls are so shallow they can be best classified as cosmetic. So I put on a nice torpedo handle courtesy of Charcoal goods and I LIKE how it now looks.

I had a long wait of half a day before I had time to shave. Paired it with a Gillette Platinum blade. For starters, Iridian's advise of using a towel with this razor is well founded. I didn't have problems loading and screwing on the head while dry, using the crab pincer approach of grabbing the head between thumb and forefinger on the cap and below the base. Uncrewing after shaving and trying to unload the blade is a completely different ball game. Use a towel or risk cutting yourself.

Back to the shave. It is an incredibly smooth shave with high efficiency. It doesn't feel at all aggressive with a Gillette platinum. But the feedback, it's amazing! It sings, it warbles, it bubbles. It's like pouring ice cold milk onto toasted rice puffs and almost feels like popping candy going off! I had a lot of fun shaving with this razor, totally without irritation. ETG and XTG felt super smooth. ATG is slightly challenging as the shaving angle sweet spot is fairly narrow. But you are guided well by the sounds it makes. So you KNOw when it's cutting.

I haven't had such a fun shave since I first tried the Carbon Co's 316L razor, and frankly, for less than a quarter of the price, the Razorine is an absolute steal!

I need to try this razor out of a multi day growth for a complete picture of how well it performs. But for now, this is a very smooth, mild to low medium aggression razor that is high in efficiency. 2 improvements I wish for this razor, slightly better finish, and a slight cutouts on the head to make blade removal easier.

The razor is amazing and the price more amazing. I just ordered the nickel finish Flatboy from JJ Shaves. Will probably take several weeks to arrive as it is coming from the UK.

Top Bottom