What's new

Razor won't open

I bought this safety from dollar general, I think it was shavely brand, and I loved it at first. I just recently switched to a safety razor and this is my second one from DG. The first one, with me being new I believe I stripped it. So I bought this one to replace it. Now I'm having the same issue, this new one won't let me twist the butterfly doors open. I can hear a click noise when I try but that's it. I tried soaking it in soapy water over night but only once. Any advice? I can't tell if the top of the razor unscrews or not. What am I doing wrong? I was told to keep it submerged in babyoil between uses but that didn't sound right so I haven't been doing that...

Attachments

• 16574774659456413869459559679879.jpg
    16574774659456413869459559679879.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • 16574774791281651494911791028049.jpg
    16574774791281651494911791028049.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
I doubt you will be happy with the low grade offerings from the $ stores. There are many good performing razors in the $20-$50 range that will work problem free for years.

I’m sure you will get many good suggestions on razors that have worked well for other members on this forum. Check them out through the search engine here and then look for them on the various internet retailers such as The Razor Company, Maggards, West Coast Shaving and others.

buy a razor for a buck or two and be happy for one shave if you get it.
As the old saying goes...
You Get What You Pay For.
Buy vintage and you will be a lot better off for a very low cost.

I don't mean to be mean, but it's true.
And BTW, Welcome to the group.
After you meet the minimum quota of posts you will find many razors for sale right here in the B.S.T. thread. and some good people who might even donate. It's just what we do to help newbies.

For a step up in quality from that one, the Van Der Hagen short handle TTO is not a bad razor. It is a very accurate clone of a 1960s era Gillette Super Speed and shaves very similarly (IMO). The VDH is really a Chinese Weishi 9306 rebrand. I used mine this morning (haven't used it for a while) and it's a decent low cost razor.

Probably cheap plastic parts that wore down or broke. Some of the junk being sold today looks and feels fine, but the metal or plastic are inferior grade and after a few uses they’re toast. Consider it $$$ spent on the tuition of life.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Welcome to B&B @KaylenaKeener
Sorry about the troubles you're having with the razor. Frankly, those razors are pretty much junk.
I've got a nice used Gillette I would be willing to send you if you don't mind using a 65 year old vintage flare tip from 1958.
Just repond here and I'll send you a message (I don't think you can initiate a conversation as new as you are) and we can get it in the mail.

flare.JPG

Lots of members giving free advice, here I am giving something else.

Very generous @nemo - outstanding! That is one of the great things about B&B - the generous and sharing spirit. The vintage flair tip razors are on the milder side and provide good shaves.

Also - @KaylenaKeener - if you are in continental U.S., I am offering a PIF ("pay it forward" - a gift) for a King C Gillette 3-piece safety razor and 5 blades, if you are interested.

Link here: King C Gillette safety razor and blades

To be considered in the drawing, reply on that thread with "I'm in."

There's lots of good advice here and the best that I've heard is:
  1. The offered razor,
  2. The Van Der Hagen (rebranded Weishi).
I would go to Walmart where you can find the Van Der Hagen immediately. Invest in about 100 Gillette Platinum (made in Russia) blades on Ebay for $12.99 with free shipping.

Problem solved.

Welcome to B&B.
The first one, with me being new I believe I stripped it. So I bought this one to replace it. Now I'm having the same issue, this new one won't let me twist the butterfly doors open. I can hear a click noise when I try but that's it.
If you had two failures I would suggest those razors are very poor quality. With the twist to open razors you should not over tighten the knob when closing which you alluded to. Hard to tell what has broken but plastic parts seem to have failed.
You have had a very geneous offer of a flare tip Gillette so accept it.

Sorry about the troubles you're having with the razor. Frankly, those razors are pretty much junk.
I've got a nice used Gillette I would be willing to send you if you don't mind using a 65 year old vintage flare tip from 1958.
Just repond here and I'll send you a message (I don't think you can initiate a conversation as new as you are) and we can get it in the mail.

View attachment 1485985

Nicely done, Nemo!

I bought this safety from dollar general, I think it was shavely brand, and I loved it at first. I just recently switched to a safety razor and this is my second one from DG. The first one, with me being new I believe I stripped it. So I bought this one to replace it. Now I'm having the same issue, this new one won't let me twist the butterfly doors open. I can hear a click noise when I try but that's it. I tried soaking it in soapy water over night but only once. Any advice? I can't tell if the top of the razor unscrews or not. What am I doing wrong? I was told to keep it submerged in babyoil between uses but that didn't sound right so I haven't been doing that...
Kaylena,

Welcome to B&B, the world’s foremost collection of wonderful shavers, both razors and people! Sorry to hear of your difficulties, but you’ve come to the right place for help. Already Nemo has offered up an excellent vintage razor which will shave “straight lines” around the DG product! I’d suggest taking him up on his offer and continuing to visit here during your journey into DE shaving! The wisdom here can help you avoid such problematic products in the future.

Best to you!

Curly

Last edited:
Kaylena,

Take Nemo up on his offer. You'll be glad you did. Buy some Gillette Platinum or Nacet blades. For heaven's sake invest in a good mug/bowl and quality shaving brush that will complete your morning shave. (Currently, a 100-pack of Gillette Platinum blades is $12.99 with free shipping on "Fleabay"). I believe that your journey will become far more pleasant and your days will become brighter in general.

Blessings,

Captain Obvious

I bought this safety from dollar general,... The first one, with me being new I believe I stripped it. ...What am I doing wrong? I was told to keep it submerged in babyoil between uses but that didn't sound right so I haven't been doing that...
Hey there. Glad that you're liking DE shaving, and you'll find lots of help and advice here at B&B. I think you maybe helped yourself out inadvertently... you've realized you might be tightening too hard, and done so on a cheap razor, not a good one, so that is a plus. They really don't need to be 'tightened' as such. A gentle turn until it stops turning...you don't push or force it beyond that. And seriously, it could have just been the razor breaking. There are inexpensive razors out there, of varying quality (some good, but quality control is an issue, so that sucks) if you don't want to spend a lot right away. If you haven't already, I'd strongly suggest you accept @nemo 's offer. I have a Flare tip, they are great for beginner, or for those looking for a shave on the milder side. If you don't take the offer, and don't want to order from Amazon or an online store, I'd also suggest the Classic Wilkinson Sword (TTO), or King C. Gillette 3 piece. They are available in many drugstores and Walmart. Best of luck with whatever way you go. Post your next forays in the world of shaving.

Hey there. Glad that you're liking DE shaving, and you'll find lots of help and advice here at B&B. I think you maybe helped yourself out inadvertently... you've realized you might be tightening too hard, and done so on a cheap razor, not a good one, so that is a plus. They really don't need to be 'tightened' as such. A gentle turn until it stops turning...you don't push or force it beyond that. And seriously, it could have just been the razor breaking. There are inexpensive razors out there, of varying quality (some good, but quality control is an issue, so that sucks) if you don't want to spend a lot right away. If you haven't already, I'd strongly suggest you accept @nemo 's offer. I have a Flare tip, they are great for beginner, or for those looking for a shave on the milder side. If you don't take the offer, and don't want to order from Amazon or an online store, I'd also suggest the Classic Wilkinson Sword (TTO), or King C. Gillette 3 piece. They are available in many drugstores and Walmart. Best of luck with whatever way you go. Post your next forays in the world of shaving.

You are right. The King C Gillette is an outstanding razor. They remind me of the old Pall Mall ad "Outstanding, and they are mild!" :)This is good advice. The Van Der Hagen (Weishi) is a great alternative for a beginner and it's available at Walmart for less than $20.00 USD. For $10 more the King C Gillette is a better razor and worth the investment (I bought two).

Enjoy!

View attachment 1485985

Love the members here at B&B. This is a great razor and one I recommend frequently to friends just starting out.

Top Bottom