What's new

Razor WIP...

After hanging out here for a little while I guess its natural that I got the desire to build some SE... :001_smile

I would really like to thank professorchaos for giving me some info and taking the time to talk straight edge razors with me. Still have a LONG way to go. I finally decided that the best way to get info, might be to build a razor and then get feed back. I also have a book on straight edge razors coming.

Soooo.... here goes. I decided to not try and copy a design, just sat down with some paper and drew the razor in my minds eye. Got to start somewhere... Here is what I came up with. Its an 8/8 and approx, 3" of cutting edge.

proxy.php

Next I needed to make a slightly stiffer pattern. I used spray adhesive to attach a copy to some vulcanized fiber.

proxy.php

Cut out and ready to transfer to steel.

proxy.php

A piece of O-1 tool steel that I coated with a lay out fluid.

proxy.php

Transferring the pattern. I actually making a steel template so I can make this again if I decide to OR accurately make changes.

proxy.php

Roughing out the profile on the band saw.

proxy.php

Grinding the profile on a 2X72" belt grinder.

proxy.php

Using the horizontal grinder to get in those tight curves.

proxy.php

Handle design and the finished template.

proxy.php

I look forward to your input,
and I have a couple of questions!

First what RC hardness would you expect in an O-1 razor? I was thinking RC 61-62...

What size hole is common for the pivot? 1/8"?

THANKS!

Tom

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I am always impressed with the skill sets of our members. Very nice work.

Are you taking orders yet?

I like your design! I think french points are the prettiest ones. The angular scales are a nice contrast with the flowing blade.

As far as pivot pins, I am a newb to straights so take that into account, I have mostly seen either 1/16" or 3/32" .

-Xander

THANKS!

Are you taking orders yet?

No, not quite yet... I'd like to get a few working razors under my belt first!! :)

I like your design! I think french points are the prettiest ones. The angular scales are a nice contrast with the flowing blade.

As far as pivot pins, I am a newb to straights so take that into account, I have mostly seen either 1/16" or 3/32" .

-Xander

I went ahead and spotted the holes with a #53 bit. That way I can open them up as needed prior to heat treat.

I put the pattern to use and made modified 6/8" razor out of the steel that was left on the end..

proxy.php

THANKS AGAIN!

Tom

Looks like you are making great progress Tom.

I volunteer my face to be a guinea pig for your beta testers!!!

Xander is correct, 1/16" rod is usually used to make the pivot pin, so 3/32" or something a little bigger perhaps?

+1 for volunteering my mug for beta testing!:001_tt1: I love these WIP threads with new makers, it makes me feel like I'm getting in on the ground floor of a REALLY BIG DEAL! Good for you!

-Matt-

Looks great! I would think RC 62 and a 3/32" pin would work well. Jimps? What are you planning for the scales?? We have been talking about doing this around my house for a few months.

Thanks guys! One of these may have to make the rounds once I get one finished.

Looks great! I would think RC 62 and a 3/32" pin would work well. Jimps? What are you planning for the scales?? We have been talking about doing this around my house for a few months.

I'm going to take your advice and shoot for RC-62 and 3/32" pins. Jimping... really not sure yet.

For the scales I'm thinking some of the stuff I usually use on my knives. Titanium, micarta, G-10, some different stuff than traditional!! :)

Tom

First what RC hardness would you expect in an O-1 razor? I was thinking RC 61-62...

THANKS!

Tom

Yes, O-1 can be hardened that hard if you do it right. I'm gonna be real interested to see how you do this. It'll be a ***** to work with after you get it hardened... providing it doesn't crack.

Very cool stuff. I look forward to watching your progress and I agree that the French point is pretty cool-looking :)

Okay, these are pretty close to being ready to send out for heat treatment. I have used Peters Heat Treating with good success and thats where these will be going. They will also get a cryo quench! :)

Just need to ream out the pivots to the correct size. Should be able to get them in the mail today!

proxy.php

THANKS!

Tom

Those look real nice. That 6/8 looks tiny compared to the others! Are you planning on hollowing the blades for ease of honing?

Those look real nice. That 6/8 looks tiny compared to the others! Are you planning on hollowing the blades for ease of honing?

Yes, I will be hollow grinding these. Probably a pretty deep hollow... I can use an 8" wheel or a 14" wheel.

Should be fun. They have shipped for heat treatment!

Tom

Well, I know one thing from being on blade forums a few years, and that is Tom can put a wicked edge on a knife. I'm sure that will transfer to his razors. Looking forward to this WIP.

Ron

Sure is great seeing more experienced craftsmen diving into razor making. I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out Tom!

I'm sure you won't have any problems finding folks to test drive these for you. :wink2:

Top Bottom