What's new

Razor vs counter - are you careful to avoid scratching the sink vanity top?

My cultured marble sink is a few decades old. I will be replacing the faucet soon and in the process of measuring things I took a closer look at the countertop to assess how much damage I had inflected to the sink during my early days of shaving with DE razors. The finish was worn and lightly scratched from the previous owner but I have added a lot.

My question is to those with marble or natural stone vanities, how do you avoid scratching it with your heavy DE razors? It seems imperative to refinish the top clear coat frequently or simply avoid placing an metal objects on top of the vanity. Is it correct to assume that just about any other surface including granite, quartz, enamel, corian, or formica would hold up better?

A photo showing many scratches both deep and small. (The illuminated rectangle is light coming in from a window to highlight the scratches). I plan to sand and refinish but expect the deeper ones will remain.
cultured-marble-sink.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Great question. I have never thought about it. I am careful when I place my razors down on the vanity top. Most of the vanity tops that I have had here in Australia have been pretty tough Acrylic Vanity tops so I am sorry I do not know much about the other varieties.

I’m pretty ginger with setting my razors down. That’s not due to the counter, though. I don’t want to displace end caps.

I have granite stone which is a bit more durable than marble. But my razors never touch the counter, always a towel. Not really to protect the granite, but to protect the razors.

Regardless of the counter surface, I always put down a small hand towel to place all my in-use toiletries. It helps protect both the items and counter and makes cleanup easier.

We have composite marble counter tops, so I understand the issues very well!

My approach is to use a stand for the ‘razor of the day’ which is on the counter top. Other razors sit in the cabinet under the sink. Works for me!!

I use a plastic mat on the wash hand basin, but essentially to protect the razor from loosing its finish. I also usually rest the razor on the blade tab and never on the bar; look after your tools is my motto.

I use ceramic trivets from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. One for the razor, one for my water heater cup, and one for my soaker.

Not an issue at my house -- bathroom sinks are porcelain. There are advantages to 1950's furnishings sometimes.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
You can NEVER have too many outlets.
True but they dont look like gfi outlets?
Dont want to get fried

Is op's question and damage in the sink? Or counter. It looks like the bottom of the sink.if so is it from rinsing the razor in a full sink? I see a few nicks in the bottom of my primary sink but i never thought im bottoming out the razor

Top Bottom