What's new

Razor that started it all.

I decided to go all-in, no safety net. Do or die. I liquidated all of my carts and canned goo and lurked here for a few months and watched alot of videos. Picked up an old C.Myers straight and about 10 different kinds of soap, creams, strops and hones and dove in head first. Better shaves, no waste, more fun. I think i grew a third testicle after the first shave. I felt so manly. I aint lookin back. Thank you gentlemen.

Mehaz TTO (weishi) is what I started with just to test the waters. I now have 5 various razors, sold a Merkur Vision and have a feather AS D2 on the way...looking to buy a Fatboy next

After developing an allergetic reaction to an ingrediant in foam, I discovered DE shaving. Started with a Razorock Mission and moved on to a post war Tech with Silver Blue's. I'm now looking into straights but not quite there yet. But I'll always keep my Tech.

I started shaving with throw away razors. When I went into the army in 1968, I was given a Gillette DE razor. My face developed an infection and a medic at Ft. Bragg gave me a Gillette adjustable and bar of shave soap that smelled horrible. Well I was able to get really good shaves at a mild setting and the soap really worked. I don't know what happened to the razor but it made me enjoy wet shaving.

I looked and looked but the mr1 was it for me. The sticker price for the entire kit was what kept me from getting a different razor but I can say that mr1 with the feather blades is a fantastic shave for me. I'm using s slim adjustable now but every now and then I'll whip out the mr1 for clean up because it gets the job done faster.

The razor that started my obsession - a Dovo 5/8" full hollow straight razor with the pearl looking scales. Was a Christmas gift from my sister, along with a VDH soap/brush set. She had heard me say for years that I wanted to try straight razor shaving, but I never jumped in myself. I shaved with the straight for a few months before I got into DE. Now I shave 50/50 with DE and carts and only occasionally break out the straight. I'm not very good at honing or stropping, and I got tired of paying $30 to get it redone, so I use it on special occasions only now.

If I could get my hands on a King Cobra, I think I'd finally ditch the carts all together. I just can't get the nice, easy, and efficient shave on my head with any DE I've used.

Not sure I can even shave, went with a beard for many years because I had no luck as a young man with sensitive skin, and despite recently acquiring more facial product than the woman owns and dominating the sink space I'm still not having much luck.

But my introduction to de razors (so far one of the better options) was when I was visiting relatives, and I remarked on what I thought was one of those dollar shave club razors as-seen-on-TV and the response was to chuck the thing right in the trash.

I asked if I could have it instead. During my search for a shaving solution, I ended up doing a bit of research on the razor itself and it turned out to be a pre 50s Gillette Super Speed that I assume probably belonged to my paternal grandfather.

I played with a blade-less flare tip as a kid. An ad for the Microtouch one gave me a wave of nostalgia. I googled until I figured out what it was that I had all those years ago ( I had no idea it was a Gillette, much less what vintage or what the name was). After that it was just a quick hunt on the 'bay. The brush, etc came later. I knew of nothing other than Barbasol or Edge before. The only brushes I had seen used were on the Stooges or old Donald Duck cartoons.

Top Bottom