What's new

Razor teamwork

So I didn’t have time for a proper shave yesterday and went without. I’m normally a daily guy, so this morning found a touch more to deal with than normal. I was also going to be auditioning a new tub of B&M Oceana. So I selected my trusty Parker 11R and as I always do with a new to me soap, picked my Jagger silvertip brush which has the most backbone without any scritch.

The Oceana lathered up wonderfully and 1st pass was great. I didn’t expect to be one and done, so I lathered up for a second. It also went according to plan. As I copped a quick feel over my face, I noticed as I always do that while the razor had done its job in taking the growth down - I.e. my face was absolutely smoother than after pass 1 - there was just slightly more residual in certain areas which were the same areas that were just a touch rougher after pass 1. I could have called it all good and a 9.2/9.3 DFS. But…..

A thought occurred to me - why not see if another member of the razor team could maybe pick up those minor residual areas? I don’t recall signing any documents when I purchased my razors saying I couldn’t team it with a competitor. I didn’t have my attorney review the B&B Terms and Conditions when I registered, but I’m pretty sure there wasn’t a rule against this.

So I lathered for a 3rd pass, picked up my Sledgehammer and made sure to employ a very light touch. If it were not for a very small missed spot on my chin, I would have finished the 3rd pass by checking to see if the Sledgehammer really still had a blade in it. I figured it had done nothing, but also hadn’t done any harm (no hint of weepers, nicks or irritation), but when I did my cold water finishing splash, holy smokes! Score! Went from an average 9.2/9.3 DFS to a well above average 9.6/9.7 DFS+, with those very residual areas being the ones most improved.

I know I’ve got a little OCD on this whole shaving thing, but I’m convinced that switching razors, and therefore the geometry of the head and individual blade they hold played a part. So now of course, I’ve some new fruit to pick. Any of you routinely employ a razor switch between passes strategy? If so, any words of wisdom on narrowing in on good combinations or is it going to just have to be another trial-and-error rabbit hole for me to enjoy?

Today’s team:

13E752A1-784E-4D99-AE65-933C95D73155.jpeg

Since I use a mustache razor to trim around my mustache and goatee, I use two razors each pass of each shave. Not sure if that counts.

Reactions: Kix
I have seen this topic before and have tried it on occasion - although not regularly.

I typically have issues with my neck area. I have used two cartridge razors with good success - the BIC Sensitive and the BIC Metal.

I sometimes use my Razorock Hawk to clean up under my nose, and it ALWAYS finds whiskers my DE might have cut but not completely removed.

When I shave my head with my Leaf I also use the Hawk for touch up and I still hear it cutting hair on areas I thought were already clean.

I think the AC razors just inherently cut closer. Either that or my DE technique really needs more work than I care to admit.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
There is a Daily Double thread you might search up.

A whole bunch of razor changers...

Thread 'The Daily Double'

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
So I didn’t have time for a proper shave yesterday and went without. I’m normally a daily guy, so this morning found a touch more to deal with than normal. I was also going to be auditioning a new tub of B&M Oceana. So I selected my trusty Parker 11R and as I always do with a new to me soap, picked my Jagger silvertip brush which has the most backbone without any scritch.

The Oceana lathered up wonderfully and 1st pass was great. I didn’t expect to be one and done, so I lathered up for a second. It also went according to plan. As I copped a quick feel over my face, I noticed as I always do that while the razor had done its job in taking the growth down - I.e. my face was absolutely smoother than after pass 1 - there was just slightly more residual in certain areas which were the same areas that were just a touch rougher after pass 1. I could have called it all good and a 9.2/9.3 DFS. But…..

A thought occurred to me - why not see if another member of the razor team could maybe pick up those minor residual areas? I don’t recall signing any documents when I purchased my razors saying I couldn’t team it with a competitor. I didn’t have my attorney review the B&B Terms and Conditions when I registered, but I’m pretty sure there wasn’t a rule against this.

So I lathered for a 3rd pass, picked up my Sledgehammer and made sure to employ a very light touch. If it were not for a very small missed spot on my chin, I would have finished the 3rd pass by checking to see if the Sledgehammer really still had a blade in it. I figured it had done nothing, but also hadn’t done any harm (no hint of weepers, nicks or irritation), but when I did my cold water finishing splash, holy smokes! Score! Went from an average 9.2/9.3 DFS to a well above average 9.6/9.7 DFS+, with those very residual areas being the ones most improved.

I know I’ve got a little OCD on this whole shaving thing, but I’m convinced that switching razors, and therefore the geometry of the head and individual blade they hold played a part. So now of course, I’ve some new fruit to pick. Any of you routinely employ a razor switch between passes strategy? If so, any words of wisdom on narrowing in on good combinations or is it going to just have to be another trial-and-error rabbit hole for me to enjoy?

Today’s team:

View attachment 1484243
I use adjustable razors & they act similar to having a couple of razors. I do 2 passes and cleanup and settings I like regardless of what adjustable WTG + ATG on same setting and always go up on dials so I can catch stay whiskers that are low lying with the higher setting seems to work well for my shave.

Very interesting thread, thanks for posting. I generally use one razor per shave. But when I use an adjustable, I change the settings with each pass. I'll start with a less aggressive setting for the first pass & increase to a more aggressive setting with each subsequent pass.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
The double comb plate can also meet the same needs very well, such as the Razorock lupo dc.
Of course adjustable type is definitely more like a fit of more razors.

Interesting thread!

I am in the KISS school, one razor per shave for me! Using a second razor (and blade) would introduce too many possible combinations for me to figure out first thing in the AM!! YMMV for sure!

Top Bottom