What's new

Razor suggestions plz!

Hello gents, I'm new to wet Shaving. I've a Parker CC, it gives me very good shaves but it also irritates my skin. I'm in Canada and I'm looking to buy Razorock GC or Lupo. Which of these do you recommend. Open to other razors as well. Thank you!

Welcome to the B&B.

Once they get them back in stock the Razorock Game Changer .68 is a mild razor...

Being of Scottish ancestry and a Ginger I am very familiar with skin irritation... I had this issue till I learned not to apply pressure and let the razor do the work. I was also not getting a good hydrating lather and this also created issues for me as well. You can try a sensitive skin soap and post shave balm like Proraso white and Nivia Post shave balm. Once I got the hang of proper technique my skin irritation went away. YMMV here.

There are many threads here on this problem and many more gentlemen here can give much better advice than I can as well.

Check out the Karve Christopher Bradley (from Canada)! Available in a range of different materials and configurations. Super-high artisan-level quality, but not quite as expensive as some other artisan favorites. Mine is the brass razor with the solid safety bar and D plate, and it is one of my very favorite razors, but obviously this will be an individual thing. Def worth a trip to their website at least.

Welcome to B&B 👋
How long have you been wet shaving with a DE?
The learning curve whilst being rather steep still takes some time.
So after the first 1-2 months of regular shaving you should have developed a stable technique to build on. Buying new gear is great fun and we all fell for it some time or the other. The tricky part is to only change one item or step at a time and once you master it tackle the next.

Angle and pressure would be my No. 1 priority
Decent lather and skin prep a close second
After that it’s blade and razor choices
The rest of your disposable income you can then throw at brushes ;)

Welcome to B&B 👋
How long have you been wet shaving with a DE?
The learning curve whilst being rather steep still takes some time.
So after the first 1-2 months of regular shaving you should have developed a stable technique to build on. Buying new gear is great fun and we all fell for it some time or the other. The tricky part is to only change one item or step at a time and once you master it tackle the next.

Angle and pressure would be my No. 1 priority
Decent lather and skin prep a close second
After that it’s blade and razor choices
The rest of your disposable income you can then throw at brushes ;)
...or aftershaves, creams etc. :302:
Forgive my ignorance...what is a Parker CC? I thought they used numbers in their model IDs.
CC means closed comb as opposed to open comb. It is not a model.
It would be better if the original poster would specify a Parker model, as there are closed comb TTOs and closed comb 3-piece Parkers. If he has a 3 piece Parker that explains the irritation. They are too aggressive for newbies.

...or aftershaves, creams etc. :302:

CC means closed comb as opposed to open comb. It is not a model.
It would be better if the original poster would specify a Parker model, as there are closed comb TTOs and closed comb 3-piece Parkers. If he has a 3 piece Parker that explains the irritation. They are too aggressive for newbies.
Yes I've a 3 piece Parker 64S
That said my skin is sensitive

Check out the Karve Christopher Bradley (from Canada)! Available in a range of different materials and configurations. Super-high artisan-level quality, but not quite as expensive as some other artisan favorites. Mine is the brass razor with the solid safety bar and D plate, and it is one of my very favorite razors, but obviously this will be an individual thing. Def worth a trip to their website at least.
Yes I've checked Karve, too many plates, very confusing which one to pick, which one will suit me. GC and Lupo have only 2 plates, I can go with the mild plates. But yes I've heard good things (YouTube reviews) about the Karve and how smooth and easy it is on the skin

Yes I've checked Karve, too many plates, very confusing which one to pick, which one will suit me. GC and Lupo have only 2 plates, I can go with the mild plates. But yes I've heard good things (YouTube reviews) about the Karve and how smooth and easy it is on the skin

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hello gents, I'm new to wet Shaving. I've a Parker CC, it gives me very good shaves but it also irritates my skin. I'm in Canada and I'm looking to buy Razorock GC or Lupo. Which of these do you recommend. Open to other razors as well. Thank you!
Welcome to B&B, I have both the RR Game changer .84 and the RR Lupo.72 2nd generation and it depends on your wants & needs.
I found the RR GC .84 a tame mid range with a standard Gillette Astra blade, but I enjoy the GC.84 with a Extra wide Kai SS DE blade and that brings the razor up a notch for close shaves if your technique is dialed in.
As for the Razorock Lupo.72 with a standard Gillette Silver blue or 7oClock SP(black) it is hard to beat that combination and I just used that combo this morning. You will find it efficient and smooth with not much for irritation or weepers if your technique is dialed in. You can not go wrong with either razor but I prefer the Lupo.72 slightly more and would not sell either one.
The Lupo has a better traditional way of loading blades for 3pc razors and for under the nose there is not a DE razor out there that is better because they removed the corners of the razor head that works wonders for even getting closer around the nostrils of my nose IMO (Moustache).

DE SOTD, Wed, July 7th 2021
Razor: Razorock Lupo .72 2nd Generation, Mfg 2021, Excellent mid range, carefree shave this morning, I just receive good results consistently with this well designed DE razor.
Blade: Gillette 7oClock SP(black), Excellent blade, sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity, very similar to my GSB IMO.
Soap: Razorock XXX, great fresh scent, excellent lather qualities, one of my favorites.
Brush: Yaqi Red Zebra 26mm :001_wub: one of my best buys on a whim, excellent lather generator, nice gentle scrubber, great lather painter, feels so luxurious to my skin.
Pre shave: Dedicated (Yaqi Cashmere synthetic 24mm) brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera to cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:excellent shave with my RR Lupo.72 2nd gen with a Gillette 7oClock.
(Shave this morning)
DE SOTD shave Tue. July 7th 2021.jpg
RazoRock_Razor_Scale_-_Revised_-_Stacked_-_Final_1024x1024 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Ya Henson is on the horizon, just don't like how it looks + I like little heavy razors
The Henson is light compared to even a Gillette Tech, I think their plan is to replace disposables and cartridge razors and not folks who already wet shave with a more mainstream safety razor, the adjustment for me was easy, but as always it needs to work for you. Good luck with the rabbit hole!

Top Bottom