What's new

Razor suggestions for my son

Last Christmas, I gave my son a Merkur 34C and all of the necessary other things to start him off on the road to a good shave. He is 19, going into his second year at the University of Washington, living in a fraternity. I asked him how that was going last week, and he said he watched some videos, got really good at shaving, loved it, but then he lost a piece from his razor. I would like to get him a Gilette TTO, which should prevent him from losing individual pieces.

I am asking for help with recommendations for TTO razors that would be approximately equivalent to a Merkur 34C, in regards to aggressiveness. His birthday is in a month and that would be an opportune time to give him his new (old) razor.

Slim is a good suggestion, as is a Super Speed, Red Tip or Blue Tip. Whatever you get, make sure you get it keracoted by Delta Echo in purple and gold. Go Dawgs...

If you have a variety of razors I would loan him several, each to be used by him for one week. Let him decide what razor he prefers.

Picking out a razor for your son is like picking out a girl friend for him. It's a nice concept, but . . .

BTW one of the razors he tries should be a Gillette Flare Tip.

I started one of my boys off with a Merkur 34hd. It was mine and I passed it down to him. I have since given Gillette Slims to two of my three boys. They both really like the Slim, enough to make me want one to compliment my Fatboy. I highly recommend considering getting your son a Slim.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

If it was me I would get him something not too pricey and easily replaceable for school. It is a frat house after all, things get broken, walk out on their own. I'd get an adjustable Ming Shi 2000s he can find what he likes playing around with that.

Get him the other razor for home use. As far as Gillette Super Speeds goes they all should be similar to a Merkur 34C shave wise a little more aggressive but still mild ranging from most aggressive being a red tip, least aggressive a blue tip all others somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:
I started with a Merkur, then I tried a couple of the Gillette TTOs and I did not like them because I found the head to bulky after using the Merkur. Your son may feel the same way. I would definitely get something with a shorter handle since he is used to a short handle on the Merkur. Maybe a red tip or a fat boy if you want to get a TTO, or a couple of Techs since they're cheap and he could just have a backup if he loses one.

I am asking for help with recommendations for TTO razors that would be approximately equivalent to a Merkur 34C, in regards to aggressiveness.
A Superspeed or Slim adjustable would fit that criterion; amongst a fraternity, I would suggest the Superspeed.

If it was me I would get him something not too pricey and easily replaceable for school. It is a frat house after all, things get broken, walk out on their own. I'd get an adjustable Ming Shi 2000s he can find what he likes playing around with that.

Get him the other razor for home use. As far as Gillette Super Speeds goes they all should be similar to a Merkur 34C shave wise a little more aggressive but still mild ranging from most aggressive being a red tip, least aggressive a blue tip all others somewhere in the middle.

I didn't see the 1 pc requirement so ignore the Ming Shi suggestion. If it is going to be Gillette and adjustable does he like long handle razors or not? If he does get a Super Adjustable 109. If he likes something a little shorter then if he likes the black handle get the Super 84 Adjustable if not then a Slim.

Slim is a good suggestion, as is a Super Speed, Red Tip or Blue Tip. Whatever you get, make sure you get it keracoted by Delta Echo in purple and gold. Go Dawgs...

I love that idea! I graduation from UW in ‘88, am a Tyee member and was at the ASU game.

If you have a variety of razors I would loan him several, each to be used by him for one week. Let him decide what razor he prefers.

Picking out a razor for your son is like picking out a girl friend for him. It's a nice concept, but . . .

BTW one of the razors he tries should be a Gillette Flare Tip.

That’s a good idea. I have 20 or so razors, including a Flare Tip. I could “loan” it to him and if it works just get another for me.

I'd recommend an adjustable so he gets to learn about blade gap. The Gillette Slim is a solid recommendation. But so is the Merkur Progress if you want to get him a new razor. Not much to choose between them. If you want to push the boat out consider a Rex Ambassador or a Karve. Either way you get a "system" with different blade gaps.

Top Bottom