What's new

Razor Suggestion

I shave with a Muhle R41 in the summer and Muhle R89 in the winter. I use shark, astra, and personna blades. I have been using safety razors exclusively since May 2012. I noticed the threads on my R41 started wearing down and was looking for a replacement razor that is more durable for under $100. Something slightly less aggressive than a R41 would be perfect.

I shave with a Muhle R41 in the summer and Muhle R89 in the winter. I use shark, astra, and personna blades. I have been using safety razors exclusively since May 2012. I noticed the threads on my R41 started wearing down and was looking for a replacement razor that is more durable for under $100. Something slightly less aggressive than a R41 would be perfect.
The Razorock SS Lupo 95 or the above the tie windsor pro SB90 are both great options

Why not give it a try to the Fatip Piccolo? A bit less efficient than R41, but still quite performing and made of brass.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Was going to suggest the RazoRock Lupo stainless steel razors. With a handle they come in around $72 US. Excellent razor! Cured my R.A.D. !!!

I ...was looking for a replacement razor that is more durable for under $100. Something slightly less aggressive than a R41 would be perfect.
You should watch out for a
Karve Christopher Bradley Brass Razor paired with Open Comb "F plate."

With a bit of care it'll likely outlast you.
20210504_124505-01-01-01-01.jpeg

The Karve checks all your boxes. And in the future you just might add a milder safety bar plate (C or D) to replace the R89 (for less than another 25 USD).

You should watch out for a
Karve Christopher Bradley Brass Razor paired with Open Comb "F plate."

With a bit of care it'll likely outlast you.
View attachment 1290638

The Karve checks all your boxes. And in the future you just might add a milder safety bar plate (C or D) to replace the R89 (for less than another 25 USD).
This is a solid suggestion. I recently purchased a CB in the safety bar G plate. I would say the G plate is about as a efficient as a 2013 R41 but smoother and more weighty thanks to the brass.

@thegeneral have you been shaving with your R41 since 2012 or was it purchased more recently? The 2011 model R41 is a different beast from the 2013 version, which they apparently actually started selling in late 2012. If you are shaving with a 2011 R41, a step down in aggression might be a little different. FWIW - my original 2011 R41 top cap is having the same wear issues you are describing, which is what sent me shopping for new razors again.

This is a solid suggestion. I recently purchased a CB in the safety bar G plate. I would say the G plate is about as a efficient as a 2013 R41 but smoother and more weighty thanks to the brass.

@thegeneral have you been shaving with your R41 since 2012 or was it purchased more recently? The 2011 model R41 is a different beast from the 2013 version, which they apparently actually started selling in late 2012. If you are shaving with a 2011 R41, a step down in aggression might be a little different. FWIW - my original 2011 R41 top cap is having the same wear issues you are describing, which is what sent me shopping for new razors again.

I actually have both R41 heads been using the 2013 head the most. The Karve looks interesting. Which Lupo model would be comparable to the R41?

This is a solid suggestion. I recently purchased a CB in the safety bar G plate. I would say the G plate is about as a efficient as a 2013 R41 but smoother...

I can fully support the finding on R41 (2013) vs Karve Safety Bar G plate. There is not much of a difference result wise between the shaves from my experience.

The open comb F plate is a tad less efficient (maybe 95%) than the R41 head, but since the OP asks for less agression... the F OC plate is super smooth!

Razorock Gamechanger 0.84 with Safety Bar. Extremely efficient, but smooth enough to be a daily shaver. Stainless Steel and very reasonably priced too.

I have to second the ATT Windsor Pro SB90. Above The Tie makes great razors. I have this model and I love it. It is worth every penny of the $70. it cost.

ATT Windsor Pro4.JPG

Top Bottom