What's new

Razor shedding Diamond Like Carbon (DLC) coating

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
My Oristo razor has begun to shed its DLC coating after, maybe, three or four years: the stuff is just flaking off.

It doesn't affect performance, but it's unsightly. Anyone know of a reasonably easy way to strip off the remaining DLC coating?

Seems odd this would happen as DCL is often used to coat AR15 bolt carriers--a far harsher environment than my bathroom basin.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Maybe it didn’t bond well with the surface metal? On gun parts and knife blades, it’s usually stuck to carbon steel or high-carbon stainless.

I am curious about this, too. I know someone selling a first generation Tatara Masamune Dark that is looking really patchy, and it would be better to just remove the coating entirely. Maybe sandpaper? I am asking, not suggesting.

R

romsitsa

It’s harder than steel, so won’t be easy to remove. The most common household method is sanding it down, but this would be quite painful on a complex shape, like razor.
Try to lift the plating with a scalpel/hobby knife, I once managed to remove non adhering nickel plating that way.

Has anybody tried working along the edges of the chipping with a pressure washer? That seems like it might remove it without damaging the head.

Top Bottom