What's new

Razor search help

I have been away from this board and from using a safety razor for a long time. I just was not able to get a close shave without lots of neck irritation and a few nicks as well. I got tired of having a raw, red neck and went back to using a Gillette Sensor, which does not cause me those problems. I recently, on a whim, bought a cheap safety razor from WCS (a 110S) and began using it. It has been way better than my previous experience. Just to confirm, I pulled out my old Parker (I don’t remember which one) and tried it last night and again ended up with a raw, irritated neck. I used Astra blades in both razors. So, my question is very basic, is there a list somewhere of razors and blades that are less likely to cause this irritation? If not, could you recommend any? My WCS razor is fine, but my guess is there are better ones out there. Thanks

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm not aware of such a list, but I can make a few suggestions.

Post war Gillette Tech, Gillette NEW SC, Gillette OLD type, virtually any Gillette TTO. As far as a modern razor, the Razorock Tech II and DE1 and my personal favorite, the Fatip Piccolo or Grande. Both share the same heads, only the handles and plating options differ.

My Grande is the only razor I've used since I got it months ago, other than a single shave with my NEW SC for comparison sake. Incredibly efficient, very user friendly and eerily smooth once you have the angle dialed in.

You could try a vintage Schick Krona DE, it's a mild razor but with a sharp blade gives a very nice shave. I've used it with Personna Blues and liked the shaves very much. Note that I have irritation problems with my neck too.
[Personally, I have cured my irritation problems by moving on to the Schick Injector.]

It's going to be different for each person. The Krona is a good bet though.

Other things to consider are technique and not shaving against the grain on your neck.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So, my question is very basic, is there a list somewhere of razors and blades that are less likely to cause this irritation? If not, could you recommend any? My WCS razor is fine, but my guess is there are better ones out there. Thanks.

Welcome back!

There is no way for anyone to know for sure if any razor would be better for your unique beard and skin. Also, I do not know anything about the razor you're using which makes it impossible for me to accurately answer your question with anything approaching authority.

My Once Wise was long ago.jpg

According to my experience the Fatip razors (including the Schöne made by Fatip) are excellent. Inexpensive, smooth shavers. Very little Blade Gap. Very little Guard Span. In spite of what some might say, not aggressive. Efficient, too, and that contributes to less irritation being produced.

Especially considering the price of some razors, the Fatips are true bargains. Just about anybody not already very satisfied with the close, long-lasting, BBS, comfortable shave they're already getting would like a Fatip.

i am also a huge fan of the Artist Club razors I've tried which means the Colonial General Stainless Steel razor and the ATT SE2 razor. The SE2 is aggressive by any standard, but it is also a smooth shaver if the shaving angle is shallow enough. The General is far milder, and very smooth with a very shallow angle. However, the General is not always available for sale, and the ATT is quite expensive.

Mike @Esox has listed some of the others I'd list, too, but nobody will agree with every choice anybody might make.

Obviously, not everybody will like any razor, so there is that.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks to all who replied. I actually have a Gillette adjustable razor I bought when I was using DE razors before. I'll give it a try next time. I don't know or understand all the technical issues that determines whether a razor will give a gentle shave or not, or even whether a more aggressive razor or a less aggressive razor will be better for my sensitive neck. While I enjoy the wet shave experience, I really haven't gotten into all the technical aspects of it. I had an old Gillette I really liked before, but unfortunately I think I left it in a hotel on a trip long ago, because I have not had it for a long time. I also have to be careful about things like this, because I can easily end up with a dozen razors and not really have a good reason for buying them. That's why I decided to ask here and I appreciate the guidance. I'll look into the razors mentioned and also try my old Gillette.

Just to confirm, I pulled out my old Parker (I don’t remember which one) and tried it last night and again ended up with a raw, irritated neck.
The Parker 80R would appear to be less suitable for you than the WCS 110S which appears to look similar to the DE89. Therefore the Tech or one of its many clones would be better for you. These mild razors seem to work better with the sharper blades so revisit your blade choices.
Perhaps you have not found the correct angle for the Parker TTO which is another point that springs to mind. Nicks would suggest user error so it is worth still working on technique and different directions in the neck area. The Gillette adjustable should be a good razor to work with.

Personally, from my experience, I don't think that the Fatip or Schone open comb razors would be the best choice for you. I find that they deliver great shaves, but they can also easily produce irritation and nicks. The two razors that I return to whenever I have any irritation are the Edwin Jagger DE89 (which may be nearly identical to the WCS razor you have) and the Feather AS-D1. The Feather AS-D1 is discontinued, and its successor the AS-D2 reportedly is just as forgiving but a bit more aggressive. All of that said, if the WCS razor works for you there's no reason to "upgrade". If you're looking for a high quality, mild razor and don't mind paying for that quality, I would recommend the Feather AS-D1 or 2.

Finding razors that give close shaves without irritation on your face is mostly a matter of trial and error. Even among Parkers, some are more aggressive than others (for better or worse).

If it were my face, I'd work with that Gillette adjustable you have. I'll bet you find a setting that works.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
If by old Gillette you mean a Gillette Old Type, and you liked it, a Fatip OC would be the next logical step. If not carry on.

Top Bottom