What's new

Razor scraping? Help

I am a couple weeks into my second life with a straight. I’ve made some decent progress but I’m just not sure where to go from here.

I have a Dovo special that I honed on a Chinese 12k the did a progression on chromium oxide —> red strop paste —> black paste. Before the paste it would shave but not pass a HHT. Now it passes the HHT and shaves better but I’m still not happy with my shaves. It doesn’t pull so much as kind of scrape.
So my questions are, should I go back to the hone? If so just the Chinese finishing stone or to a norton 4k 8k? Is it a bevel issue or is this just one of those “the Dovo special is an ok but not great” shaver?
Any insight is appreciated!

I am a couple weeks into my second life with a straight. I’ve made some decent progress but I’m just not sure where to go from here.

I have a Dovo special that I honed on a Chinese 12k the did a progression on chromium oxide —> red strop paste —> black paste. Before the paste it would shave but not pass a HHT. Now it passes the HHT and shaves better but I’m still not happy with my shaves. It doesn’t pull so much as kind of scrape.
So my questions are, should I go back to the hone? If so just the Chinese finishing stone or to a norton 4k 8k? Is it a bevel issue or is this just one of those “the Dovo special is an ok but not great” shaver?
Any insight is appreciated!

It depends on what you mean by scraping. To my way of thinking all razors scrape. It’s the singing sound they make. Even a Feather DE will make a scraping sound when I go XTG, especially on the jaw line. It’s probably subjective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the "scraping" uncomfortable?

If so, your shave angle may be too steep. On the first pass, the blade should be held at an angle no greater than 30 degrees from your skin. On subsequent passes, that angle should be even less. When shaving against the grain, the spine of the razor should almost touch your face.

Have you examined the edge of your razor with magnification. I am not certain whether Dovo hones razors in factory with or without tape on the spine. If the razor was rehoned before you got it, was it honed with or without tape. If the razor was previously honed with tape and then you honed it without tape on your Guangxi hone, you may have never honed all the way to the apex of the razor. When you hone a razor for the first time, always use a Sharpie to mark the bevel. Then when you hone it, you will be able to see if you have honed the razor at the same angle as the previous honing. If you want to change that angle, you might need to go back and reset the bevel. That normally requires something even coarser than a Norton 4K/8K. The most common grit for bevel setting is 1K.

A sharpie is a good idea. I bought it professionally honed but that was ages ago. I will try marking the edge and taking it to my finishing hone again to see if the bevel is all the way set.

I am keeping the angle pretty shallow definitely 30 degrees or lower. I don’t think my prep is the problem either. I shave after a shower, and like an extra hydrated lather.

It’s not a terrible shave just not super comfortable or close. I think it needs a little more work. But I don’t have much experience so it’s hard to tell.

I had razors scrape on the first pass, then the second and third passes are much more comfortable. On a full hollow blade there will be audible feedback and a feeling of it being scrapy on the first pass. The ones that scare the hell out of you are the wedges, they will cut and there is no noise. Used a Wosty Pipe razor and did the first pass and never thought it was cutting until I felt the first pass and it was BBS. LOL I damn near dropped a load in my pants because it was that sharp and quiet. IMO you could try and improve your stropping technique, my edges improved when I figured out light pressure (razor weight) is all that's needed when passing back and forth to align the bevel.

Larry

Spine width away and keep the skin a bit tight. My alum block helped a lot with getting a grip on my slick face. Also when it comes to blade control and direction, I watched a lot of barber videos and now before I go across or against the grain I ask myself where would a barber stretch the skin before swiping the blade. Helps esp around the chin areas.

Larry

Just guessing but sounds like the razor bevel may not be completely set or the edge may have been rolled by improper stropping.I would sent it out to doc226 for a proper honing .He produces a wonderful edge .If you need a straight I can send you one while your Dovo is being honed .

Regards Mike

Just guessing but sounds like the razor bevel may not be completely set or the edge may have been rolled by improper stropping.I would sent it out to doc226 for a proper honing .He produces a wonderful edge .If you need a straight I can send you one while your Dovo is being honed .

Regards Mike
I agree, I really lowered my angle this morning and my shave was much more irritation free, but not as close as I would like. It’s pretty sharp but not as sharp as I would like.
I may work on it a little to see if I can get it a little sharper. If not I will definitely see if someone here can help me out. Thanks for your offer! More to follow.

Most of my new Dovo's were not comfortable shavers .I honed all of them .Most of the issue I found were inconsistent bevels and a finish at a lower grit level than I prefer .I like really keen edges on the smooth side .Not try to bash Dovo .I love the Dovos I own and how they preform when I get their edges were I like them .

So I’ve really been working on using almost no pressure while stropping and my blade is feeling much sharper and smoother.

I’ve also been giving it 40 laps on linen and 60 on leather at night and another 60 on leather in the morning to save on time.

Glad that things are working out for you .Sometimes it just takes a little time to learn how to strop and handle a straight .

So I’ve really been working on using almost no pressure while stropping and my blade is feeling much sharper and smoother.

I’ve also been giving it 40 laps on linen and 60 on leather at night and another 60 on leather in the morning to save on time.
This sounds good.

Top Bottom