What's new

Razor Return Policy

Should you be able to return razors after trying them out?

• Total voters
I am curious to know what most people believe is a good return policy for an online razor purchase. I recently purchased a $70.00 razor from an online retailer. I used the razor a few times and felt like it was not a good shave on my face and that the construction was cheap for a mid priced razor. I contacted the retailer and was told that since I had used the razor it was no longer eligible for return. Furthermore, I would also have to have a new unopened package in order to qualify for their return policy. What do you think of this? It would be difficult to try a razor without opening the package.

A razor, once used cannot be resold as a new razor and some claim sanitary issues. For a $200 razor, a return guarantee is pretty much given and many expect it since it is a large expense and the seller is standing behind their product. Not quite so for a $50 razor, and I wouldn't expect it unless the razor comes defective out of the box.

which store... what is their published return policy?
I do not want to mention the store name or razor because that seems unfair. I might be the only person that feels this way. Their policy is stated clearly on their site. I am just wondering whether or not this is standard/typical. Also, I did not carefully read the return policy in advance, I just saw the part about that you could return anything you do not like!

A razor, once used cannot be resold as a new razor and some claim sanitary issues. For a $200 razor, a return guarantee is pretty much given and many expect it since it is a large expense and the seller is standing behind their product. Not quite so for a $50 razor, and I wouldn't expect it unless the razor comes defective out of the box.
At least I know that going forward. I have returned razors on Amazon, but I know that smaller retailers are not built like that.

I do not want to mention the store name or razor because that seems unfair. I might be the only person that feels this way. Their policy is stated clearly on their site. I am just wondering whether or not this is standard/typical. Also, I did not carefully read the return policy in advance, I just saw the part about that you could return anything you do not like!

Fair enough. If the policy is clearly stated... so be it. In all honesty I never read most store policy statements and just assume I could return something I don't like... apparently not so.

When Stan at ATT had his Black Friday sale, he suspended his liberal return policy because he wasn't making much on the razors and didn't want to be in a position to lose money. Makes sense to me. Not sure how much profit there is in a typical $70 razor but the market is fairly competitive.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Sell it on the BST! It wont be a total loss.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

No I don't think you should be able to return it. Think of the old saying, "Let the buyer beware." No matter what the price of the razor, weather it be $25. or $250. what is the dealer going to do with it now? He can't sell it as a new razor even if you only used it once. If this happens often on $190. razors the guy will go out of business selling them at low prices as used items.
It's up to the buyer to be careful and hope for the best.

If one of the high-end razor makers has used razors to sell, they're not discounted all the much and they sell them the second time "as is" with no option to exchange or refund. Moreover it's a business decision, one that they feel will get them more business and make more money than whatever they might lose. They certainly have the right to market that way and it makes sense that they would. It's a lot easier to pull the trigger on an expensive sale knowing one can get a refund.

I also have no problem with manufacturers (of any razor) not offering such a policy. As long as they're clear about it before the sale is made, all's fair.

No I don't think you should be able to return it. Think of the old saying, "Let the buyer beware." No matter what the price of the razor, weather it be $25. or $250. what is the dealer going to do with it now? He can't sell it as a new razor even if you only used it once. If this happens often on $190. razors the guy will go out of business selling them at low prices as used items.
It's up to the buyer to be careful and hope for the best.

+1. I think we can get carried away with "I don't actually like this thing, take it back and give me a refund". What's wrong with it? Absolutely nothing. I don't think that's a legit return IMO. even Amazon makes you differentiate between defect, order error or "I just plane ol don't like it". If it isn't defective they will still take it back and refund, but leave the return shipping up to you.

Caveat emptor Indeed.

There should've been an option for "depending on price point" in your poll. Most high end razor mfg's have a return policy in place and except returns within 30 days but products must be in original packaging and free of any abuse of any kind...

If you didn't take the time to read what the actual return policy was then that is solely on you and not the sellers fault at all... Doesn't matter how much you paid!! It doesn't really matter what it that I'm buying or from whom but the first thing I do is read what the return policy is because that will usually tell me who I am buying from and in most cases "IF" I even want to buy from them at all...

Unless they have a policy that states otherwise, I would not be expecting it to be able to be returned. How many people would want to get a previously used razor at new cost? Defective would be another matter.

Top Bottom