What's new

Razor restoration problem

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
I have a serious razor restoration problem. Since I retired, I thought it would be fun to try my hand at restoring old razors and maybe even make a little income (or at least pay for my habit) by reselling some. I love old Gillette razors since that's what I grew up with and I like helping rough ones get restored back to original condition.

The problem I discovered is that when I restore one and get it looking pretty, then I become attached to it and don't want to part with it! :letterk1:

I suppose that's how some collections get started.

Seriously, though, after several hot water/dish soap & Scrubbing bubbles sessions, there are still a few little black spots on the handle of my current restore project which is a Gillette Tech post-war fat handle razor. I'm about ready to throw the handle into ultrasound cleaner to see if that does the trick. Before I do so, does anybody have any idea what these black spots could be and how to clean them off safely?

Before
20220913_074541.jpg

After
20220915_113945.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kix
I use Metal polish to remove those black spots.
Another thing you might want to try in your restoration is DIY Nickel Electroplating. You can find the info on youtube. The hardest part is getting your parts clean clean clean and smoothly polished. Then the plating works wonders.

lasta

Blade Biter
I'd be careful about metal polish, it will remove plating pretty fast. Looks like your Tech's nickel is still intact, try some Barkeeper's Friend.

But, don't use bkf if the brass is showing through.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Assuming you mean ultrasonic cleaner @wheatshocker , give it a try. I've also found a light brass wire brush, toothbrush size with soft fine bristles can sometimes help with those spots. Usually it's a pinhole in the plating though.

Bar Keepers Friend is not much of a friend to razors, use at your own risk @lasta

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
Thanks @nemo. Yes, I meant to say ultrasonic cleaner.

I got a little too carried away with the brass brush and used a stiff, automotive type brush instead of a small soft bristle brush and seem to have removed a bit of nickel plating since I now see some small 'pink' areas showing through, which I assume is the brass underneath.

20220916_171305.jpg

I don't have a lot invested in this razor, so no great loss, but it is a valuable lesson I won't forget soon (hopefully). In retrospect, I should have tried the soak in CLR and ultrasonic steps before resorting to brass brushing.

I've heard there are DIY nickel replating methods, but that probably involves more time and effort than I want to invest in this project.

Regarding Bar Keeper's Friend, I'd echo what Nemo said above.

I'd only use Bar Keeper's Friend on a razor if the gold/silver plating is so thin/destroyed (especially if it's an Old Type up through the Gillette NEW razors) and your intent is to take the razor all the way down to brass. Then Bar Keeper's Friend paired with a brass brush will make quick work of any remaining plating--I've never used it on the later Gillette razors with the heavier nickel plating, it would probably just take longer.

Reactions: Kix
Top Bottom