What's new

Razor refurbish suggestions

I just got my first vintage razor, a Gillette SA W1. Does anyone have suggestions for a good place to refinish/replate/coat it?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Sounds like a nice razor. How about a couple of photo’s to show us how bad it is?

I don't think RE do a coating for the Super Adjustable. I agree about seeing a photo first because the finish may still be acceptable for a user grade razor.
Delta Echo and North Shore do a coating service if you want it re-coated.

R

romsitsa

Hello, the handle is anodised aluminum, no vendor, I know of, does anodising. If a really durable coat of paint is an acceptable option, then the two vendors above are you best bet.

Adam

I don't think RE do a coating for the Super Adjustable. I agree about seeing a photo first because the finish may still be acceptable for a user grade razor.

I am sure they do. And the pictures are featured on the Service page.
upload_2019-9-22_19-49-18.png

I'm not sure I'd bother with a super adjustable. For what it would cost (if you can refurbish an SA) you can probably find a new-in-box one. They were pretty common. You'll be picking up more razors...save your refurbish for one that really needs it.

Hello, the handle is anodised aluminum, no vendor, I know of, does anodising. If a really durable coat of paint is an acceptable option, then the two vendors above are you best bet.

Adam

I have had to clean a few Black beauties before. It is generally OK with a good cleaning in very hot water and dish soap + hand polishing with polishing paste and finally a few drops of mineral oil

Razor Emporium did my grandfather's Super Adjustable in white Rhodium a few years back. They did a fantastic job on it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I am sure they do. And the pictures are featured on the Service page.
They don't do the coatings that are on the Super Adjustable handles. They do what I would categorise as plating (RE also use that terminology) such as nickel, gold, rhodium and silver; those are the ones in the drop down list. These are okay for the head of the Super Adjustable. No doubt the OP will provide some photos to clarify which parts need refurbishment.

I thought Delta Echo had disappeared? Their website has anyway.

EAF3F0D4-7695-4CDF-82E9-5ECA1EAC482B.jpeg 3FA4F235-673B-47ED-8255-C219F8DB878A.jpeg ACD778F0-3006-4116-8621-0A6F05F40824.jpeg 4AC432F9-C108-46A6-9E36-DCF1E27683F3.jpeg 7546C9DC-3E04-49BB-A4B9-508957282110.jpeg F2763021-9842-4AC0-99C5-2B06252AD1F5.jpeg 37D658C5-6671-478E-9B0D-938B0A56FD59.jpeg C175FD47-CA1E-4BA8-93AA-0B349597D931.jpeg F4393F5D-54B4-4655-B4E6-14263829976D.jpeg I have not shaved with it yet (just ordered it); just want to get all my ducks in a row if it turns out to be a winner. From the description and pictures, it looks in great shape except for some plating loss in the bottom base plate, which is why I am thinking about replating or coating so there is no worry about rust starting.

R

romsitsa

It’s brass and aluminum, it can’t rust. The “very light plating loss” and “no brassing” parts puzzle me.
The razor looks good, Super a-s had so-so finishes from the factory, nothing close to the earlier bright nickel surfaces.

Adam

Another question; it says it has been cleaned and scrubbed, but still needs sanitizing. Wouldn't the scrubbing take care of that?

Hand soap and water with a little Dettol disinfectant added is all you need. Scrub with an old tootbrush and that razor will come up just fine. From the pictures it looks in very reasonable condition.

Another question; it says it has been cleaned and scrubbed, but still needs sanitizing. Wouldn't the scrubbing take care of that?

I think soap and water is sufficient and anything beyond that, for a razor, is overkill. But a dip in alcohol, if it makes you feel better, won't harm the razor.

Let us know how the shave goes.

I don't know if razorplate.com is still an option, but they have had consistently good reviews over the years.

I wouldn't pick any replating service without a search of this board by the specific vendor, as some places have an abysmal reputation.

Top Bottom