What's new

Razor recommendations…

I’ve switched to a DE razor about 6 months ago, and am looking for some direction on the search for my unicorn razor…

- Started with a Merkur 42C; WAY to mild and didn’t clean up the neck area to my satisfaction.
- After a bunch of research, I ordered a EJ DE89; which was an improvement but I found it to be a bit irritating due to the number of passes required (4+).
- On a lark I ordered a PAA Prismatic, which was a big step up in efficiency from the DE89, but more irritating and ATG on the mustache area is an every 2-3 day proposition.
- On Black Friday special, I picked up a RR German 37. Works surprisingly well, less passes and less irritation, but a nice close shave though I still can’t shave ATG on the mustache area more than every 2-3 shaves.
- Recently, the RR GC.68-P came back in stock so I immediately ordered one. It has more blade feel than the DE89, but is less efficient… leaves stubble on the neck even with 4 passes and very frequent rinsing.

Where should I go from here? The best shaves I’ve had up to this point are from the German 37, but is there a razor that will perform better?

What are you’re thoughts?
I would suggest the Fatip open comb (picollo or grande or even Storto). Is for me slightly more efficient than my Razorock German 37 slant. But u need to find a blade that is suitable, it can be a bit too agressive for me with some blades.

Appears you have tried/use some nice razors. I'm a daily shaver and started out with the DE89 (hated it) and 34C (loved it in comparison to the DE89), but wanted something made from stainless or other material I wouldn't have to worry about lasting a lifetime. You have lots of great advice already. Maybe try some different blades in the 37 and see if you can get even better shaves.

I you're dead set on buying a new razor (not hard for lots of us to do here) then I can recommend the following as great, smooth and efficient razors for daily shaving. At least these are the razors I use daily with no irritation and BBS shaves (for the most part). I typically to 3 to 4 passes with touch up shaves to give you some idea. My beard is more grey than dark brown now so hairs are a little tougher than they used to be, but still I say I have an average beard and my skin is not super sensitive.

These are the razors I use and love. I use some more than others, but I haven't found anything (yet) that performs better for me for daily shaving. These are listed in no particular order.

Blackbird (most blade forward razor I own, but my best overall shaver)
921-M and H (I use H plate daily and performs very similar to the Blackbird but with less blade feel)
Karve Overlander (best ATG razor in my den)
Tatara Masamune (I use both Masamune and Nodachi caps and plates for variety)
Mule Rocca R94
EJ 3one6
Henson Ti 22 medium
48 Aristocrat
Timeless Ti Slim OC
Blackland Vector (AC format)
ATT X1 (AC format)
Apologies for steering off track a bit, but given your experience could you please comment on which one of the above high end razors performs (i.e. feel, results) most similarly to the 34C? "None" is OK to say, if that's the case :001_smile

Apologies for steering off track a bit, but given your experience could you please comment on which one of the above high end razors performs (i.e. feel, results) most similarly to the 34C? "None" is OK to say, if that's the case :001_smile
I would say the closest to the 34C from my list would be the following:
Overlander
Tatara Masamune
Rocca
3one6
Yates 921M

These will all offer more efficiency then the 34C but remain very smooth. All can be had in stainless (or brass on a couple of them) so longevity won’t be an issue. None of these razor would be considered aggressive.

Hope this helps you some.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I’ve switched to a DE razor about 6 months ago, and am looking for some direction on the search for my unicorn razor…

- Started with a Merkur 42C; WAY to mild and didn’t clean up the neck area to my satisfaction.
- After a bunch of research, I ordered a EJ DE89; which was an improvement but I found it to be a bit irritating due to the number of passes required (4+).
- On a lark I ordered a PAA Prismatic, which was a big step up in efficiency from the DE89, but more irritating and ATG on the mustache area is an every 2-3 day proposition.
- On Black Friday special, I picked up a RR German 37. Works surprisingly well, less passes and less irritation, but a nice close shave though I still can’t shave ATG on the mustache area more than every 2-3 shaves.
- Recently, the RR GC.68-P came back in stock so I immediately ordered one. It has more blade feel than the DE89, but is less efficient… leaves stubble on the neck even with 4 passes and very frequent rinsing.

Where should I go from here? The best shaves I’ve had up to this point are from the German 37, but is there a razor that will perform better?

What is your price range?

I would say the closest to the 34C from my list would be the following:
Overlander
Tatara Masamune
Rocca
3one6
Yates 921M

These will all offer more efficiency then the 34C but remain very smooth. All can be had in stainless (or brass on a couple of them) so longevity won’t be an issue. None of these razor would be considered aggressive.

Hope this helps you some.
Thanks very much! I'll start researching.

I would add that some have reported that the 'Merica razor, which is made by Yates for the Wet Shaving Club, is similar to the Yates 921 with "M" (medium) plate. It's a nice quality stainless steel razor and under $100. Might be an option for you also.

Reactions: cf1

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
If you like really light razors, check out the Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "Monster" series. They are a bit mild out of the box but a simple shim between blade and baseplate fixes that. I find them to be a faithful homage to the Fasan Double Slant. The discontinued PBOCS (Phoenix Bakelite Open Comb Slant) had a reputation for temperament but also close shaves. I never tried one, but hear the newer Filament razor is close to the original.
The Filament is a great razor! I loved mine until my daughter borrowed it, now I need to order another one. I also want to try the Prismatic...
If you want more efficient, have you thought about getting a more aggressive base plate for your Game Changer? There are a couple options.

I tried the GC.84-P, and it's the best thing so far. I'm a 7-days-a-week user.
My GC84-P is a razor I have used every day. Efficient, comfortable, smooth.

Have a Great Shave

~doug~

Mostly What already has been mentioned …

Gamechanger .84 p/ solid bar plate
Karve overlander (Smooth ATG)
Rockwell 6s or 6c
Yates ‘Merica on BST or the M plate
Karve Christopher Bradley (SB C plate)
Vintage Fatboy/slim or super speed

Lots to pick from.
Let us know what you end up with.

In my opinion Merkur Futur will give a different type of shave experience and also you can adjust the blade gap for aggressiveness. Even though I have collected many razors, every now and then I try the Futur! Happy shaving!!

Thanks to everyone for their replies, sorry I haven’t been responding until now but life has thrown me some curveballs recently.

To those that comments that perhaps a different blade would be the necessary change, I have tried a variety of blades and while I have some favorites (Gillette Minora Stainless, Gillette Siver Blue, Nacet, Permasharp, Rapira SS) the most optimal combo for a close, smooth shave has been the Minora in the German 37.

To those that have commented on my issues being a technique struggle: perhaps you are correct. However, I CAN get a decent shave out of any of the razors I have tried, the trouble is the number of passes required causes an increase in irritation.

I’ve talked to Italian Barber regarding the Super Slant, and they recommended the L2 or L2++ versions to shave similarly to the German 37. The nice thing is i can get either and if I feel like a step up or down in efficiency I can simple order a different base plate. That is likely the direction I will take.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I’ve talked to Italian Barber regarding the Super Slant, and they recommended the L2 or L2++ versions to shave similarly to the German 37.

I've got an L3SB (only option for the L3 so far) and I'm totally loving that thing. Excellent shaves. While I'm not one to get huge irritation, I can easily get some. The L3 gets into my most irritation-prone spots and cleans them out in a jiffy. I'll admit I'm eagerly looking forward to the L3OC plate, but as it stands the L3SB is a darn fine razor (and by extension I imagine the other options are as well).

You've probably seen this, but just in case here's a thread devoted to the Superslant: RazoRock Superslant views, reviews, and shaves - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/razorock-superslant-views-reviews-and-shaves.633297/

O.H.

Thanks to everyone for their replies, sorry I haven’t been responding until now but life has thrown me some curveballs recently.

To those that comments that perhaps a different blade would be the necessary change, I have tried a variety of blades and while I have some favorites (Gillette Minora Stainless, Gillette Siver Blue, Nacet, Permasharp, Rapira SS) the most optimal combo for a close, smooth shave has been the Minora in the German 37.

To those that have commented on my issues being a technique struggle: perhaps you are correct. However, I CAN get a decent shave out of any of the razors I have tried, the trouble is the number of passes required causes an increase in irritation.

I’ve talked to Italian Barber regarding the Super Slant, and they recommended the L2 or L2++ versions to shave similarly to the German 37. The nice thing is i can get either and if I feel like a step up or down in efficiency I can simple order a different base plate. That is likely the direction I will take.
Sounds like to me it's the number of passes required to achieve a good shave that might be the issue. Maybe a more efficient razor is needed to reduce the number of passes needed to get a good shave. For example, razors I have that are super efficient are Blackbird, Yates 921-H, Lupo 95, Ti Slim OC, and Tatara Nodachi (Vector falls into this category as well but it's an SE AC razor). These razors are more blade forward and reduce more whiskers/pass. Much less buffing and going over the same spots with these to get quality results. Something to consider I guess.

Perhaps you should try a Karve Overlander. Mild yet efficient shaver. Great online reviews.

You’ve gone through 5 razors in your first 6 months; a new razor isn’t going to improve your shave. Instead you’ll likely worsen your experience overall because you’ll never learn proper technique by bouncing around so much.

Anyone telling you to buy this razor or that is giving you bad advice.

Top Bottom