What's new

Razor recommendations…

I’ve switched to a DE razor about 6 months ago, and am looking for some direction on the search for my unicorn razor…

- Started with a Merkur 42C; WAY to mild and didn’t clean up the neck area to my satisfaction.
- After a bunch of research, I ordered a EJ DE89; which was an improvement but I found it to be a bit irritating due to the number of passes required (4+).
- On a lark I ordered a PAA Prismatic, which was a big step up in efficiency from the DE89, but more irritating and ATG on the mustache area is an every 2-3 day proposition.
- On Black Friday special, I picked up a RR German 37. Works surprisingly well, less passes and less irritation, but a nice close shave though I still can’t shave ATG on the mustache area more than every 2-3 shaves.
- Recently, the RR GC.68-P came back in stock so I immediately ordered one. It has more blade feel than the DE89, but is less efficient… leaves stubble on the neck even with 4 passes and very frequent rinsing.

Where should I go from here? The best shaves I’ve had up to this point are from the German 37, but is there a razor that will perform better?

What are you’re thoughts?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Where should I go from here?

Well, let's start here:

The best shaves I’ve had up to this point are from the German 37

You, my friend, have gotten decent shaves from a slant. Specifically a helical slant (as opposed to a tilted slant). Upfront I'll say I love slants and use them for at least 95 per cent of my shaves.

The RazoRock German 37 is an entirely faithful homage to the Merkur 37, except for being a 3-piece razor where the Merkur is 2-piece. I tend to think of both of them as being mild-to-midrange slants; just very slightly below my sweet spot.

If you like really light razors, check out the Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "Monster" series. They are a bit mild out of the box but a simple shim between blade and baseplate fixes that. I find them to be a faithful homage to the Fasan Double Slant. The discontinued PBOCS (Phoenix Bakelite Open Comb Slant) had a reputation for temperament but also close shaves. I never tried one, but hear the newer Filament razor is close to the original.

If you like brass razors, then check out the Fatip Open Comb Slant or FOCS. If you're not sure about an OC slant (I love 'em) then there is an SB version of the slant I think called the Gentile.

If you're also wanting to explore Artist Club blades, but want a gentler but still highly efficient shave then have a look at Above the Tie's X1 tilted slant. ATT also makes two other excellent DE slants, the S1 (SB) and S2 (OC). I have the S2 and it was my first really good slant.

RazoRock has been on a development program with their slant offerings over the years. The just-released Superslant razors are getting some attention. I have an L3 SB version and have become infatuated with it. I'm eagerly awaiting the release of OC plates for the Superslant. L3 is their most aggressive at the moment, however I'm reading good things about the L2 as well as their micro-steps the L2+ and L2++.

You've mentioned wanting a bit of efficiency to get areas that otherwise aren't smooth. I find the L3 Superslant a real revelation in that regard.

There is an adjustable slant on the market, the Rex Supply Co. Konsul and the long-handle version the Konsul XL. I mention them because the Konsul is an excellent razor although pricey.

That oughta give you some inspiration...

O.H.

I’ve switched to a DE razor about 6 months ago, and am looking for some direction on the search for my unicorn razor…

- Started with a Merkur 42C; WAY to mild and didn’t clean up the neck area to my satisfaction.
- After a bunch of research, I ordered a EJ DE89; which was an improvement but I found it to be a bit irritating due to the number of passes required (4+).
- On a lark I ordered a PAA Prismatic, which was a big step up in efficiency from the DE89, but more irritating and ATG on the mustache area is an every 2-3 day proposition.
- On Black Friday special, I picked up a RR German 37. Works surprisingly well, less passes and less irritation, but a nice close shave though I still can’t shave ATG on the mustache area more than every 2-3 shaves.
- Recently, the RR GC.68-P came back in stock so I immediately ordered one. It has more blade feel than the DE89, but is less efficient… leaves stubble on the neck even with 4 passes and very frequent rinsing.

Where should I go from here? The best shaves I’ve had up to this point are from the German 37, but is there a razor that will perform better?

When you say you can't go "against the grain" in the mustache area, are you using a buffing technique? I can't go straight up against the grain in that area unless I buff. You may already have a razor you're comfortable with to hone the buffing skill. If you already buff then listen to others' recommendations. Welcome.

If you want more efficient, have you thought about getting a more aggressive base plate for your Game Changer? There are a couple options.

At 6 months, you're probably still perfecting your technique. I still am at a bit over a year in. Keep on working on that too. Happy shaves!

I also question blade choice? I’m suspected you may be using a blade that isn‘t sharp enough for your beard. While the Merkur and DE89 aren’t amazing they can be fairly efficient devices with the right blade.

Reactions: cf1
An adjustable. Merkur progress or Rockwell 6c or Parker variant. You can tweak it to your heart's desire for each pass. Adjustables are not expensive and imo they're better than buying 10 regular razors trying to find one that fits you. With regular razors, an aggressive one remains equally aggressive on all 3 passes while a mild one stays mild. With adjustables, you can tweak it and avoid irritation or leaving stubble behind.

Recently, the RR GC.68-P came back in stock so I immediately ordered one. It has more blade feel than the DE89, but is less efficient… leaves stubble on the neck even with 4 passes and very frequent rinsing

I tried the GC.84-P, and it's the best thing so far. I'm a 7-days-a-week user.

If you want more efficient, have you thought about getting a more aggressive base plate for your Game Changer? There are a couple options.

Yes, if you don't like the GC.84P, there are three stronger open comb options. The GC.84OC was more or less OK, but not good for 7 days a week.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Based on your post, I would think about getting the Game Changer .84 base plate, either SB or OC. Inexpensive option for you as you already have the .68.

There's nothing wrong with buying lots of razors; I probably have around 35 atm. However, after about a decade of traditional shaving I find I can get a DFS/BBS with just about all of them. If you want a new razor just get one, but why not try something completely different from what you've already get, like one that uses AC blades, or an injector?

I'd highly recommend these razors in no particular order:

RazoRock Super Slant L2 or L3 plate

RazoRock Game Changer 84p plate only (since you already have the 68 version)

Green Cult V1.1 (if you like medium efficiency everyday razor) razor

or

Green Cult V2.0 razor with level III plate (if you like more stubble clearing efficiency, ie less number of passes without irritation)

Getting any of these razor may be entirely sufficient in terms of requirement, as they all are great razor and work for majority of the people.

I know the thread is for razor recommendations but you already described a nice portfolio of razors you have tried. The first thought that came to my mind reading your post was for trying out different blades which is much cheaper, easier, and faster to get results than trying different razors. Blades can dramatically change the performance of the razor. I have found the Kai and Feather blades to be very sharp and improve the efficiencies, aggressiveness of my RR GC 68 and 84.

So much to respond to here.

First, you should stop buying new things and work on perfecting your technique. As others have commented, with good technique a fine shave can be achieved with virtually any razor/blade combo.

Secondly, if some equipment change is necessary blade choice should be your first option. It is the most economical way to adjust your shave. Although a good shave can be had with virtually any blade, all blades are not created equal.

Thirdly, if you simply cannot dial in your DE technique try an SE, particularly a Schick injector. There is no razor in the world that is easier to use that provides outstanding shaves. Effortless, forgiving, no technique required. With a Chick blade anyone can achieve perfect results.

Appears you have tried/use some nice razors. I'm a daily shaver and started out with the DE89 (hated it) and 34C (loved it in comparison to the DE89), but wanted something made from stainless or other material I wouldn't have to worry about lasting a lifetime. You have lots of great advice already. Maybe try some different blades in the 37 and see if you can get even better shaves.

I you're dead set on buying a new razor (not hard for lots of us to do here) then I can recommend the following as great, smooth and efficient razors for daily shaving. At least these are the razors I use daily with no irritation and BBS shaves (for the most part). I typically to 3 to 4 passes with touch up shaves to give you some idea. My beard is more grey than dark brown now so hairs are a little tougher than they used to be, but still I say I have an average beard and my skin is not super sensitive.

These are the razors I use and love. I use some more than others, but I haven't found anything (yet) that performs better for me for daily shaving. These are listed in no particular order.

Blackbird (most blade forward razor I own, but my best overall shaver)
921-M and H (I use H plate daily and performs very similar to the Blackbird but with less blade feel)
Karve Overlander (best ATG razor in my den)
Tatara Masamune (I use both Masamune and Nodachi caps and plates for variety)
Mule Rocca R94
EJ 3one6
Henson Ti 22 medium
48 Aristocrat
Timeless Ti Slim OC
Blackland Vector (AC format)
ATT X1 (AC format)

Great suggestions above!

As others note, technique trumps most everything with ‘traditional wet shaving’ camp! That is where you get the most bang for your investment.

It can take me awhile to figure out the optimal blade choice for a particular razor.

It is also fun to try new razors! The good news is that collecting razors is far less expensive than collecting knives, guns, cars or custom fly rods!!

. . .

It is also fun to try new razors! The good news is that collecting razors is far less expensive than collecting knives, guns, cars or custom fly rods!!
Talk about "damning with faint praise" . . .

. Charles

PS -- I've given a "Like" to "Get an adjustable razor", above. I bought and used a RR Lupo Al for a while, but I'm back to my Merkur Progress again. With a Feather blade, and careful assembly, it's as mild or aggressive as I could ask. The Pearl Flexi would be another possibility, from what I read here.

I would recommend the inexpensive Feather Popular. I think it is a step up from the Merkur and DE89 in "aggressiveness" although that might be more down to its efficiency and being more forgiving in terms of its shaving angle. So in other words for a relatively new shaver it is easier to use and more effective in my experience. Pair it with feather blades which it is particularly suited to and don't over-tighten it or the plastic safety bar may bow.

Where should I go from here? ...
I believe the sky is the limit, or your wallet. Decide on a vendor and start buying.

- ...Merkur 42C; WAY too mild...
- ...EJ DE89 ...a bit irritating...
- ...PAA Prismatic ... more irritating...
- ...RR German 37...I still can’t shave ATG on the mustache area more than every 2-3 shaves.
- ...RR GC.68-P ...less efficient… leaves stubble on the neck even with 4 passes and very frequent rinsing.
I think you should stop blaming the razors for the faulty technique. You should focus on the other factors that could lead to a great shave. So, start with the Merkur 42C (which is not mild, by the way) or DE89 and while keeping one of them as a constant, try to focus on lather, pressure, number of passes and more importantly number of strokes. I would recommend any blade made by Gillette.

I have encountered exactly the same issues.

To shave ATG on the moustache area needs a tightly clamped blade but not too much aggression. A very sharp blade helps a lot. I'd recommend a BIC Chrome blade, but don't use it for more than three shaves. A Feather blade is even sharper, but only for the first shave and is also overpriced.

To get BBS on my neck requires a very aggressive razor. It's very hard to find one razor that does both these things well. I either use two, or sometimes even three, razors for a single shave or I use an adjustable.

The vintage Gillette Fatboy is currently my go-to adjustable, but it only just manages BBS on my neck even at the widest setting (#9). It does an excellent job ATG on the moustache area at #4 or 5.

The adjustable Merkur Futur adjustable can handle all of the above and shaves my neck closer than anything else at its widest setting. Unfortunately it's very large and heavy therefore rather easy to cut yourself around the mouth and chin.

For non-adjustable razors I find a vintage (or modern) Gillette Tech is excellent ATG on the moustache area. An Ikon B1 Standard is great for a BBS neck, but rather expensive as it's stainless steel. The Ikon Tek is even more aggressive (too aggressive?) but a bargain as it's made from aluminium alloy. Both Ikons are available without handles, which can save a bit.

I hope that helps.

Go with the Razorine FlatBoy, a truly efficient razor that isn't irritating or overly aggressive. Or the Karve OverLander the best ATG pass in the business...IMO.

Top Bottom