What's new

Razor recommendations?

Hey all!

I currently own one razor, a Wolfman WR2 1.05.

I've also owned a WR1 .67 and a WR2 .95 both of which I got rid of in favor of my current razor. I love the efficiency of it and I love the weight of a SS razor.

Anyway, RAD is starting to gnaw at me a little, so I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has a recommendation for a razor that is efficient like the WR2 1.05, but maybe with a tad less blade feel.

I love the look of the Tatara razors and might go with them, if I can figure out which one to buy. But I'm also open to other suggestions.

Thanks!

If you haven't tried vintage razors (Gillette, GEM, Schick, etc.), I recommend that you research vintage razors and buy one for a few bucks that meets your needs. The world of vintage razors offers everything from very mild to super aggressive. Getting a super shave with an 80 or 60 year old razor is a pretty big thrill.

Blackland blackbird TI would be my personal choice... as for cheaper but excellent options the RR Lupo SS 95 and above the tie windsor pro

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
If you get tatara muramasa, you don't have to worry about “which one“ .

And according to feedback from most owners, muramasa has the characteristics of improving efficiency but not reducing comfort, similar to wr2.

I have a Tatara razor with a few of their different head/base combinations. My favorite is the Nodachi cap/base on the Masamune handle. I can't quite describe it, but it feels super solid and very maneuverable. Tatara razors are very well made and the Nodachi setup is very smooth and efficient. I compare it to my Blackbird with less blade feel. The Tatara is my favorite razor at the moment.

Other nice razors to consider would be H&S P076, Blackbird, Muhle Rocca, EJ 3one6, and another favorite of mine...Henson Ti22.

You started at the top! :001_tongu The Muramasa is currently the only razor on my counter, and I have a few, including the Masamune. Some aboriginal peoples have a counting system of one, two and many - I have many. The Muramasa has replaced them all. That said, I favor a mild razor and I shave on setting 3 (neutral blade exposure). There are two numbered settings below this, increasingly negative. Two numbered settings above are increasingly positive (settings are click-less, so it's infinitely adjustable within those ranges). The maximum is a 0.9 blade gap and a 0.17 exposure (table below). If that efficiency is in your ballpark, it's a wonderful razor, but that's it - no multiple turns of the dial. Having never shaved with a Wolfman, I can't compare, but I prefer the Muramasa over my SS, Bronze and Titanium Timeless, my Blackbird, my vintage Gillettes, my iKons, my Masamune, my ATTs, my RS10, my Mergress and my Rex Ambassador. Truth in advertising, I do have inbound a Titanium Taiga and a 2021 Rocnel, which allow a significant increase in efficiency by multiple dial rotations and which I might like more (and will almost certainly never use the higher settings). But right now it's the Muramasa all the way.

SmartSelect_20210713-153909_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg

I’ve never tried a Wolfman razor, so I have no basis for comparison. That being said, I really like the Rockwell 6S , especially since I can adjust the aggression by swapping plates. It also comes with all the plates so you don’t have to guess at which plate to buy.

I’ve also tried the Gillette Super Speed and Gillette New Long Comb and I still prefer the Rockwell 6S.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If you haven't tried vintage razors (Gillette, GEM, Schick, etc.), I recommend that you research vintage razors and buy one for a few bucks that meets your needs. The world of vintage razors offers everything from very mild to super aggressive. Getting a super shave with an 80 or 60 year old razor is a pretty big thrill.
An old Gillette New Long Comb is the PERFECT everyday razor for my incredibly handsome face!

Just a beautiful, efficient razor. Seriously, Gillette perfected the razor with that one!

Top Bottom