What's new

Razor Recommendation - 1 Year Into Wet Shaving

I love the 6C. But something that i've had some fun with, Maggard has a 4-head bundle price for around $40, so you can do something like try the aggressive head, the mild, an open comb and a slant. Just need to add a handle in as well.

You didn't mention vintage -- and I've never used Qshave (or the actual Futur) adjustable -- but a Gillette Slim is well made and would certainly be within your budget. I'm a vintage guy who is starting to dip his toe into the "modern" pool, so I guess I'll leave it there for now.....but $60 buys some nice vintage razors.
While I do have a small handful of 'modern' razors, my focus is vintage. My '47 and '52 Super Speed, various Techs and an Old Type give me a 12+ hour BBS shave with minimal effort. No sense paying more for a 'modern' razor that can give the same shave, but made with inferior materials.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have a couple of questions about the Razorock game changer.

1. On the italianbarber website, I can see a Razorock Game Changer .84P Double Edge Razor and a Razorock Game Changer OPEN COMB .84P Double Edge Razor which is out of stock. Which one do you recommend out of these two?

2. In case I would like to go for the OC then which other website I can buy it from?

Thank you again all you kind people.

Like others have said, the GC84P is a terrific razor. Buying a GC can be a little frustrating. If you check the site daily, you should be able to get the razor of your choice if you can wait a couple of weeks. I have BP and HD handles. If I could only have one handle, I would take the HD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So many good ones, but I feel Razorock builds solid razors at a very fair price. Just check their twitter feed daily, it's usually faster than the email notifications.

If you would consider Vintage, a Gillette New Improved would feel very similar to a Futur on 4-5.

A GC 84 would also be similar I think. Both have decent gap with little blade exposure.

The Fatip and R41 would feel very different than the Futur. They have blade exposure as opposed to gap for aggressiceness.

I really like the Ikon Standard B1 with a coarse beard, but this is more aggressive than a 4-5 setting on the Futur. You would get used to it quick if your stubble is as coarse as mine. If not, you wold have the Ikon B1 Top Cap to use with an Ikon B1 Open Comb Deluxe.

My recommendation: consider an Ikon Open Comb Deluxe ($65 for the head) as it is similar to what you normally use in terms of blade exposure and aggressiveness. If you want something more aggressive later, pick up the B1 Standard baseplate.

Thank you for all your suggestions. Have finally ordered the GC .84 open comb from Italian Barber. Wanted to get the HD handle but only the super knurled was in stock and I couldn't wait because I am in India and getting it through a friend who is returning from the US next week. Also gave in to the temptation and ordered the R41. The R41 is more of an indulgent buy and guess this is what you all fine folks call as RAD. Also getting a couple of creams - TOBS Sandalwood, Proraso etc. that aren't available here.

I need help with another question. I was going to order some blades from tryablade.com that lets you build your own sampler pack but it seems they aren't active anymore. Haven't seen any posts off late. So sent them a message before I place the order. While I wait for a reply, I would like to know if there is any other website that lets you build your own blade sample pack?

Thank you again.

For coarse hair i would go the Game Changer JAWS or the OC version. These are much more efficient than the SB version. I have the JAWS and love it, full stainless steel, super efficient and smooth. I also have the R41 and the JAWS is better in every sense of the word, i do like my R41 but the GC is smoother and just as efficient with much less blade feel.

I also have the rockwell 6C which is a fine razor but is now hardly every used. The GC is >> efficient that than plate 6 on the 6C and just as smooth.

Fatip Piccolo is definitely a great budget option. The handle is small and heavy so If you have big hands, you might find it a bit awkward to hold. Fatip Grande can be a better option if you're looking for bigger handle.

Top Bottom