What's new

Razor rack, eventually

Starting point:

5931636C-7B84-4E0B-ABCB-0F5CF3533830.jpeg

The idea: to have a rack in which all these razors can reside neatly, heads up. I want slots rather than holes, for ease of putting in and taking out without needing too much overhead space.

I am thinking to make it from one or more pieces of wood. I am in no particular hurry.

I got this handsome oyster box that my family helped me to empty of its contents. Hm. I also have this splendid packing material that could become a prototype, which prototype could end up in permanent use.

2CEC7A20-C561-48AA-8CE0-883785E2B9F2.jpeg

Starting point:

View attachment 1387260

The idea: to have a rack in which all these razors can reside neatly, heads up. I want slots rather than holes, for ease of putting in and taking out without needing too much overhead space.

I am thinking to make it from one or more pieces of wood. I am in no particular hurry.

I got this handsome oyster box that my family helped me to empty of its contents. Hm. I also have this splendid packing material that could become a prototype, which prototype could end up in permanent use.

View attachment 1387263
Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

588937A1-640A-421C-AC23-8F05FC67DFCF.jpeg

Or maybe I will cut a strip off this scrap of wood, formerly part of a bookshelf that I cut down in size to fit after a move. Make some slots, stand it up on 4 dowel legs, and have something like this lousy drawing, but way more refined and posh.

9B1B80F6-F163-4360-B7CB-BA519AD5E882.jpeg

Eventually is not so long when you take the path of least resistance. I found that I was happy enough with the easy packing foam solution. Practical, quick, and good looking enough for the inside of a cabinet that is closed most of the time.

My new rack is installed with glue, with masking tape keeping it in position until the glue sets. I’ll post some final pics tomorrow when the light is good.

Great idea. I also decided I wanted my razors off the bottom of my drawer this year and happened to be playing with some clear two part epoxy, so I brushed this little piece of driftwood and drilled holes in it. As you can see my photo box is pretty advanced. :lemo:
Imagepipe_29.jpg

I have a stand like the one you want my wife bought me that I’ve never used. Not sure where she found it but I’ll ask her.
Thank you, but I think I am well on my way to having exactly the rack I need.

I have had a minor setback, and opportunity. The rack started to pull off under load. Either my glue (gem-tac) is not up for the job, or I was too stingy with it. I will try again with epoxy.

I noticed also that the slots are too narrow for my fat handled Tech and Fatip slant with zebrano handle. I could squeeze them in, but prefer not to have to. Either I will widen a few slots, or I will start with a fresh hunk of foam, plan and mark more precisely, and take care to make straighter cuts. I might as well do that, as it’s all so quick anyway.

linty1

My wallet cries.
These are always fun to see develop and take shape, please continue with the updates.

People complained about the epoxy smell, which is understandable. Finished product!

5A819071-7747-4218-B6E3-91C91BD42FF7.jpeg

I went with the foam I cut in the first round, as I actually liked it better than my fresh attempt. Some slots are widened for the thicker handles, and I also tapered the bottom.

I’ll take more pics tomorrow.

Top Bottom