What's new

Razor prices????

Is it just me or is the price of used razors climbing drastically?

Ive noticed over the last years that razors i once could get for 30 to 50$ on the popular auction sites are now moving into the 150 to 250$ range with anything NOS starting at 200 and climbing.

yes, I've noticed. also I've noticed it's harder to find user grade un-cased razors. I just want to try it out, take it for a spin. I'm not a museum collector.

I've talked to antique dealers who say 20 years ago they couldn't give these things away. Once in a blue moon however I still find a guy who missed the memo and gives me a great deal.

Potential money saving is a factor in straight shaving, and I feel that thee ridiculous prices could deter some newcomers.

Potential money saving is a factor in straight shaving, and I feel that thee ridiculous prices could deter some newcomers.
This! I've found there are many people that are cautious about making the first step into shaving with a straight for exactly this first reason! The razor is just one of several $50-100 purchases which you need. If you add it up $100 min for a razor, $40-50 for an average strop, $200 or a little less for Stones or you can use pastes etc etc. It could be $250-400 just to start.

Serves you guys right for "spreading the word" on how much fun straights can be. :D

Just like everything else, these things come and go, those interested read just how amazing an "X" brand can be and are willing to spend a bit more to get it, then, well one thing leads to another. It happens in every other hobby, not just shaving gear. Internet didn't help to keep prices down, I mean think about it, you can buy a razor anywhere in the world and pretty much shave with it next week, unheard of 20 years ago right?

I'm of two minds when it comes to pricing, I look at some and go "oh c'mon now, that's too much" but then, for those rare and old, it kinda makes sense, as there's never going to be "more of them" on the market, and even less that are NOS. As for customs, I'm actually impressed that some are well in line price wise with large manufacturers. I would guess their profit margins aren't really all that high when you consider time they have to put in.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I bought my Sheffield straight about five years ago, and didn't pay much for it. All mine needed was a clean and a fairly straightforward hone to get it back working again. Similar condition straights are now going for way more than I paid, and more than I would consider paying for a used straight - but then again I am rather tight...

Maybe I just haven't lucked out on the right one? I haven't followed things that closely in all fairness.

Conversely, the only vintage DE that I was interested in, was a British made birth year razor. I got this earlier this year for less than £20 in decent condition, complete with 10 vintage blades, shipped from Greece.

I've noticed the prices going up even in the last few months or so.

It's starting to put me off restoring razors when even the old rusty beaters are commanding prices of over £30 - and thats for unknown manufacturers.
£10 for one with a broken blade is not uncommon.

I've noticed the prices going up even in the last few months or so.

It's starting to put me off restoring razors when even the old rusty beaters are commanding prices of over £30 - and thats for unknown manufacturers.
£10 for one with a broken blade is not uncommon.
This is true........ I'm not so interested in paying $40-50 for a piece of rust that I have to sand on for days.....

Wide blades have gotten popular like fat boy Gillette types. There is a connection, I think.

I’ve just started and have found some nice ones for $8-27.

I would never pay more than $10 for a razor, especially not Swedish ones. They are all junk, utterly worthless I say. I do hope that this post is spread on the Internet so that good people avoid bidding on these and thus are saved from a major disappointment and a total waste of hard earned money.

I've been lucky, or should I say I've been digging a LOT to find deals. There are still deals out there. Got a really nice wedge W&B for 30 bucks, another hollow WB for 25 and both are in steller shape. Also picked up a Dovo Special, brand new in box for 70. That one was shave ready. Found a Hart pre-Grimm for 90. I am not going to lie though, I've been taken on a few rides and paid too much for too little a few times! Those scores helped even things out though.

Last edited:
I would never pay more than $10 for a razor, especially not Swedish ones. They are all junk, utterly worthless I say. I do hope that this post is spread on the Internet so that good people avoid bidding on these and thus are saved from a major disappointment and a total waste of hard earned money.

Whatever.....:a29:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I've begun a razor reduction program. Had too many not being used so sent seven to a dealer to trade for a single razor of equal value. Curious to see what kind of deal I can get. I don't want to do the eBay thing any more. I didn't include any Swedes in the seven because of what the bear said.

I tried for a while to sell a few of mine but everyone kept trying to lowball me on the bay so I gave up. Its good to hear people are finding value in the hobby... I mean addiction... I mean hobby we all love.

I tried for a while to sell a few of mine but everyone kept trying to lowball me on the bay so I gave up. Its good to hear people are finding value in the hobby... I mean addiction... I mean hobby we all love.
I think there are many re-sellers on ebay trying to find something to scrub with 200 grit sand paper to pass it on. I would imagine yours were perfect. I've paid more for rare and razors in near mint condition with factory finish.

Also those on eBay who just buy and sell stuff tend to look at what others are selling them for. I’ve got an ERN Trilby I got for £6 and the same one, albeit in better condition, was up for £60!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't found this to be the case. I've never paid more than $80 for a straight razor and for those that aren't rare or particularly good looking/perfect condition, I don't usually pay more than $20.

If you want to price chase Double Duck then you might face this problem. If you want a 6/8 round tip crushed ice scale, bolsters, engraved blade that doesn't say "Double Duck" then you can get it for $60 or so.

Your choice. :)

Starting out with straights is more expensive and you face more unknowns that with a DE. You don't have to pay a lot for hones or strops however. My strop was $20 or so. All my hones together are probably around $100...think smaller sizes.

The deep end stuff is actually fairly flat right now. The common stuff is slightly up. A lot of stones are well down.

Top Bottom