What's new

Razor or Blade

Hi guys,

Question from a noob. What will drive my aggressiveness on the shave? Blade or razor.

I have a VDH with Derby blades and think I have my technique down and am ready to take the next step up.

My question goes to above. Should I get a more aggressive blade or razor?

Thanks!

Personally I hated Derby, I like Astra super platinum, Personna Blue, and my fav are Feathers. Good luck, Good Shaving

IMHO, "aggressiveness" is driven by the razor. The blade drives the difference between smoothness and sharpness.

Consider this; an aggressive razor (like the Muhle R41) paired with a Feather. With that setup, you'll probably need a pint of blood on standby. However, the same razor can be tamed a bit when paired with a mild(er) blade like a Gillette Silver Blue.

That said, stick with the razor you have and try different blades to see how they respond to your razor and skin type. Once you find the blade you like, when you do get a new razor, you'll will know the differences in the shave quality were driven by the razor and not necessarily the blade.

The punch line is, change is not necessarily your friend. When you're experimenting, change only ONE THING in your routine and reassess. If you change too many things at once, you won't know what affected the change.

Well stated.

IMHO, "aggressiveness" is driven by the razor. The blade drives the difference between smoothness and sharpness.

Consider this; an aggressive razor (like the Muhle R41) paired with a Feather. With that setup, you'll probably need a pint of blood on standby. However, the same razor can be tamed a bit when paired with a mild(er) blade like a Gillette Silver Blue.

That said, stick with the razor you have and try different blades to see how they respond to your razor and skin type. Once you find the blade you like, when you do get a new razor, you'll will know the differences in the shave quality were driven by the razor and not necessarily the blade.

The punch line is, change is not necessarily your friend. When you're experimenting, change only ONE THING in your routine and reassess. If you change too many things at once, you won't know what affected the change.

Hi guys,

Question from a noob. What will drive my aggressiveness on the shave? Blade or razor.

I have a VDH with Derby blades and think I have my technique down and am ready to take the next step up.

My question goes to above. Should I get a more aggressive blade or razor?

Thanks!

Definitely experiment with blades. My magic formula is a mild razor (like yours) with a fairly sharp blade (but not the sharpest), like a Gillette Silver Blue or 7 O'Clock Yellow. I've just started to enjoy Astras again, and while no blade suits every shaver, Astras are a pretty good bet. Sharper and smoother than a Derby for sure. Just remember, with a sharper blade, to watch that pressure--the sharper the blade, the more important a light touch becomes.

Thanks for the replys. Went with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Green today and got a true BBS with no nicks or weepers today! This was shave #4 for me. Love the greenies and think I might have found my blade. Might have to PIF with all the other blades I have!

Great! Same experience here, when I started again DE shaving I was advised to use Derby blades as they were less agressive. I was about to give up because I thought my technique was not well enough. Then tried an Astra SP and had a perfect shave with the same razor.

Great advice above. Why do you want a more aggressive shave?

Mark
That's what I was wondering. If I'm getting good results, why would a more aggressive razor or a sharper blade necessarily be a "step up"? The satisfaction of knowing I am skilled enough to still a good shave yet not bleed to death? My next step is still getting a good shave when it's 6:15 am and I'm in a frantic rush.

Top Bottom