What's new

Razor Making Fail

I've had a belt sander for some time, used if for restorations, decided to try to make a blade

01 tool, I made a rough cut out
proxy.php

Spine
proxy.php

Grind after 40 grit
proxy.php

proxy.php

Not too bad

Jimps
proxy.php

Got it to here
proxy.php

Heat treat in very crude set up, got the metal glowing to a cherry red and quenched in warm oil
proxy.php

proxy.php

Tempered in oven and started regrinding
Got it descent then this happened

It was going well, I was checking the grind by honing on a DMT coarse plate, almost had it and just went too far.

I was using an 8" wheel, I think I need to try on a 10", the metal got thin

Overall great experience and will definitely try again

I think the heat treat was good, I tested after and a file glided over, I was also getting nice sparks with with the grinding

I did the post heat treat grind on a 320 belt

Too bad.
I had never thought to try one. I have a nice piece of O1 in the shop and a 10 wet wheel so maybe I will give it a go in the future.
What oil did you use to quench? I have no idea where I would find quench oil near me so just curious.

Too bad.
I had never thought to try one. I have a nice piece of O1 in the shop and a 10 wet wheel so maybe I will give it a go in the future.
What oil did you use to quench? I have no idea where I would find quench oil near me so just curious.
I used mineral oil

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
IMG_20191229_101522.jpg

With the belt reasonably tight, and very light pressure, this method makes wheel size less critical. You can also deliberately use an undersized wheel to make a nice belly. then grind the preliminary bevel on the platen. A small belly gives the blade a little extra rigidity, if that is desired.

I like your first pic best. Except for the slight frown.

I haven't watched the video Alfredo, limited data at home.

An 8" wheel is pretty big should take you past an 8/8. What size were you trying?

I haven't watched the video Alfredo, limited data at home.

An 8" wheel is pretty big should take you past an 8/8. What size were you trying?

The blade measures right at 1”. I was surprised how thin the grind was, I was expecting more of a wedge profile.

I think next time I will use a 10” and not bring it up so high near the spine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom