What's new

Razor lost (and gone forever?....)

On ~March 1, I sent a 7/8 Friodur out to have some work done and sometime while it was in transit, I needed to cancel the job for certain reasons. I
e-mailed this person and asked if this was acceptable to him, and if so, would he please just send the package back with me to pick up the return postage. He said 'sure, no problem' and everything seemed cool - no weird vibe or anything. Turns out that he just 'refused' the package and it was automatically re-routed to sender, never to be seen again - so far.

It was insured for not quite the full value, but I'd rather have the razor. Beyond that though, I'm just kind of surprised that someone - especially someone very well-known in this business - wouldn't take just a minimum amount of care to ensure that this thing got back. Maybe I'm expecting too much.....

Just getting that off my chest. Thanks.

It seems like the mail service is getting worse and worse. My guess is that when things are refused they just get kicked into processing somewhere and sit in limbo for a long period of time. I'm not sure if the mail workers are seeing the impending cuts coming to the federal government and dragging their feet trying to milk the cow while they can or what...

Things that used to come in a couple days seem to be taking a couple more...

That's a bummer.

I can't lay the blame at the feet of whomever it was that you sent it to though. It seems like a logical way to do it: simply refuse to accept, and the mail would simply return to sender. Thus saving the need to accept the package, re-label it, go back to the post office, etc, etc.

US Postal error it seems is to blame.

This is the number one reason I never work on other peoples razors.

I understand that you asked him to reship the package back to you but his idea wasn't a bad one. He might've been trying to save you the return shipping costs. It's standard practice at the USPS that if you refuse the package, it will be returned to the sender. The USPS is at fault.

Usually when they refuse and return to sender there are no issues and I've done it before with no problems. I don't think what he did was such a bad thing - the USPS is to fault here.

I once bought something on eBay that apparently was lost by the USPS. It happened to show up out of the blue 4 months later. Hopefully it turns up for you as it did for me.

That's a bummer.

I can't lay the blame at the feet of whomever it was that you sent it to though. It seems like a logical way to do it: simply refuse to accept, and the mail would simply return to sender. Thus saving the need to accept the package, re-label it, go back to the post office, etc, etc.

US Postal error it seems is to blame.

This is the number one reason I never work on other peoples razors.
I can't argue with you. Refusal and return should be a good option, but unfortunately, it isn't. Had it been me, I probably would have taken some care to ensure that the package wasn't just bounced back out for pot luck return delivery. But that's just my way of doing things. I'm just surprised by what I perceive to be a kind of unconcerned way of handling the return.

I understand that you asked him to reship the package back to you but his idea wasn't a bad one. He might've been trying to save you the return shipping costs. It's standard practice at the USPS that if you refuse the package, it will be returned to the sender. The USPS is at fault.
According to my local PO, the return costs fall to the originator. Don't know if that's correct or not, but that's the story I got.

Anyway, that's the end of it.

Last edited:
USPS got it safely to his door. Refusing the package, as well as re-shipping the package would have both also made use of USPS handling the shipping duties, so it doesn't seem unreasonable, although the end result still stinks.

That really sucks, keep your hopes up and it may yet return to you.

I've had on several occasions a package arrive several months late.

I would have done the same thing - why go to the trouble of repacking, going to the PO, paying shipping, etc etc etc when the USPS will take care of everything.

I'd be willing to bet the package shows up sooner or later, though. Returns aren't a high priority, but they get done.

I had sent a razor to Australia around December but the buyer moved so it got sent back to me. It took 5-6 weeks for the return trip. I resent it to him and it's now in his collection. Perhaps you'll just have to wait a bit for it to come back. How long has it been?

Top Bottom