What's new

Razor Instructions.

Can anyone tell me how tightly to turn the knob on a Gillette Adjustable? I noticed today that I had it tight to the point where the blade formed an arc (sideview)...or should blade look flat from side?

Many thanks

cv2_r

Hey, I know this one!

The mechanism of the razor head is designed to arch the blade for the proper cutting angle and tension. A flat blade would not function properly with the arched design of the top of the head (the silo doors). Not only that, the blade will be loose if the razor isn't closed tightly. Very dangerous. Twist it 'til it stops.

Hey, I know this one!

The mechanism of the razor head is designed to arch the blade for the proper cutting angle and tension. A flat blade would not function properly with the arched design of the top of the head (the silo doors). Not only that, the blade will be loose if the razor isn't closed tightly. Very dangerous. Twist it 'til it stops.

Many thanks, Mick for the thorough and prompt reply... I though as much...the tighter it gets, the less blade angle exposure, now I will have to crank up the Gillette Slim to 3, or 4.

Many thanks, Mick for the thorough and prompt reply.. I though ta s much...the tighter it gets the less blade angle exposure, now I will have to crank up the Gillette Slim to 3, or 4.

Two things here: Gillettes (at least the fatboy and the slim) have an extra 1/4 turn right at the end. That locks the blade into position. Second: make sure to loosen the silo doors just a bit before adjusting. Don't try to adjust with the razor locked down tight.

Thanks for replying. That's exactly what I was wondering about- the additional quarter turn.

You're quite welcome. I'm not surprised you've been wondering: it's a unique feature of these Gillettes. You won't find this feature on any other razor - at least I've never heard of it on any other razor.

I love the "thrust blade out with thumb" thing. Now I know what the arrows are for...LOL.

Try doing that with Merkur blades. :laugh:

1962 Aristocrat british Set:

proxy.php

I found these instructions in my collection and scanned them tonight. It looks like these came with a 1940's style SS with the blade notch. Enjoy!

-Steve

I found these instructions in my collection and scanned them tonight. It looks like these came with a 1940's style SS with the blade notch. Enjoy!

-Steve

The classic "Gillette Slide" makes another appearance. Thanks for posting this Steve!

I found these in a cased Gillette Old Razor that I found over the weekend. The razor dates from 1918. These instructions have English, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Russian sections. I will only post the English part now. PM me if you would like scans of the other sections.

Enjoy!

-Steve

Many thanks for the great period literature. They sure take care in what they made,and the enclosed instructions sheets are a further testimonial to a long gone manufacturing ethic.Of course, I can't speak for Merkur razors....

The classic "Gillette Slide" makes another appearance. Thanks for posting this Steve!

DIrving posted some old gem instructions that describe the same technique, so technically it seems the Gillette slide is the "GEM slide" I thought that was kind of cool

DIrving posted some old gem instructions that describe the same technique, so technically it seems the Gillette slide is the "GEM slide" I thought that was kind of cool

Am I correct in my observations that a Merkur Slant essentially does the "Slide" for you as you shave? I have not seen or used a Merkur Slant, so I don't really know how it works, so let me know!

Am I correct in my observations that a Merkur Slant essentially does the "Slide" for you as you shave? I have not seen or used a Merkur Slant, so I don't really know how it works, so let me know!

Yes, what you basically have is a diagonal blade moving vertically over your face as opposed to a horizontal blade moving diagonally over your face. The benefit of the slant bar is that the vertical motion is easier to do with precision than a diagonal motion, since the slant takes care of all the "sideways" cutting. The sideways movement (or the hairs sliding along the blade edge) cuts better since it slices trough the hairs like a serrated breadknife as opposed to a cleaver.

Kind of yes. If you hold it at the right angle it has the same slicing effect as doing the slide.

Top Bottom