What's new

razor identification

Hello!

I recently inherited my Grandpa's WW2 items and among them was this Gilette razor, made in Canada. Could anyone help me identify what model it is and when it was made? My assumptions are that it was from that era, or later and just got mixed in the box.

I'd also like to use it either way as an heirloom. How would I go about restoring it?

Thanks!

razor1.jpegrazor2.jpeg

Hi there @TheNewGuy and welcome to B&B!

It looks to be a Gillette Old Type with the ball-end handle. These were produced from 1903 to 1928. There were also the Single and Double Rings and The New Improved being made in this time period.

Here is a picture of a typical Canadian specimen.
proxy.php

Your box is interesting. I think it is a box which would have held a Bulldog, which had a thicker handle of different design:

I'm glad you have a great item to connect to your relative that you can still use every day!

Just soak it disassembled in warm water with dishwashing liquid for 10-15 minutes. Then get an old toothbrush and gently 'scrub' the end cap, plate and handle, till it comes up clean. This last part is optional. You can then cover it in rubbing alcohol and leave it to dry. Don't rub it off. It should then be shave-ready. Any modern blade will fit it.

Does it have any specific serial codes?

Last edited:

It looks to be a Gillette Old Type with the ball-end handle. These were produced from 1903 to 1928. There were also the Single and Double Rings and The New Improved being made in this time period.

proxy.php

Your box is interesting. I think it is a box which would have held a Bulldog, which had a thicker handle of different design:

I am glad you have a great item to connect to your relative!

Just soak it disassembled in warm water with dishwashing liquid for 10-15 minutes. Then get an old toothbrush and gently 'scrub' the end cap, plate and handle, till it comes up clean. You can then cover it in rubbing alcohol and leave it to dry. Don't rub it off. It should then be shave-ready. Any modern blade will fit it.

Thanks for sharing some really cool historical photos.

proxy.php

I'm glad you have a great item to connect to your relative that you can still use every day!

Just soak it disassembled in warm water with dishwashing liquid for 10-15 minutes. Then get an old toothbrush and gently 'scrub' the end cap, plate and handle, till it comes up clean. This last part is optional. You can then cover it in rubbing alcohol and leave it to dry. Don't rub it off. It should then be shave-ready. Any modern blade will fit it.

Thanks for the reply Alum Ladd (and everyone else)!

It looks like there might be a serial code on the front surface of the cap. I'll try cleaning it up tonight like you suggested and see what happens.

What would be a good blade to use with it (preferably made in Canada or USA)?

Thanks for the reply Alum Ladd (and everyone else)!

It looks like there might be a serial code on the front surface of the cap. I'll try cleaning it up tonight like you suggested and see what happens.

What would be a good blade to use with it (preferably made in Canada or USA)?
Afaik there is now only Accutech/Personna made in the US.

Look out for:

Personna Lab Blue
Personna Med Prep

Sorry for the absence. I tried cleaning up the razor but it seems there's some rust/wear that I can't clean up? @ HDSledge I'll post a pic later tonight or tomorrow.

Top Bottom