What's new

Razor identification

This razor was my dad's and I would like to know if anyone here can identify it. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409580844.224908.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409580872.825355.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409580912.727243.jpg

On the bottom in four corners is the following:

1. Gillette

2. Made in USA

3. W REG U

4. Pat off

Inside butterfly is:

1. Pat NOS

2. On Pkg

I think I read everything right. My dad passed away a little over a week ago and this was in a bedroom drawer as he didn't use it anymore.

There seems to be a little rust on the short edge of the head. Can these be reconditioned?

Sorry for your loss, but you have a neat way to connect with and remember your dad.

The "W" on the bottom dates the razor to 1976. There should be a number for quarter of manufacture. Here is the date code table: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/US_Gillette_Dating_Information

Clean with Scrubbing Bubbles (be sure to use the No Bleach variety) and a toothbrush. No boiling water, just nice and hot. The rust will come off. It is not from the razor itself (it's nickel plated), but from a blade that was left in the razor in the past.

That should clean up almost brand new. You can polish the nickel parts with Maas, Flitz, Mother's, Simichrome, or any other metal polish that you like.

Get some blades, load them up and shave away and remember your dad.

I have one in my rotation now. Just a buddy's grandpa was razor. I never met the man but my friend knew I would use it. It was a disaster to look at compared to what the OP has. Looks like just some soap scum really. Mine looks better but has some green corrosion from brass exposure and neglect.

Not MY grandfathers razor so I am not putting anymore into it than that. It shaves just fine though.

On the bottom in four corners is the following:

1. Gillette

2. Made in USA

3. W REG U

4. Pat off

Inside butterfly is:

1. Pat NOS

2. On Pkg

I think I read everything right. My dad passed away a little over a week ago and this was in a bedroom drawer as he didn't use it anymore.

There seems to be a little rust on the short edge of the head. Can these be reconditioned?

+1 for the scrubbing bubbles. That and an old toothbrush and some elbow grease. I think you'll be surprised by the result. There should be a letter and a single digit number. The letter tells the year, the number the quarter. They are usually on opposite corners of the bottom side of the head.

I've got a few nice aftershaves and a virgin kent brush from my dad who passed a little over a year ago. I say clean it up and put it back into service. It's a good way to remember your dad.

Top Bottom