What's new

Razor identification -- please help

I recently acquired these razors in a batch deal, and would appreciate input on identifying them. My photo skills are not superb, and they are in various stages of clean-up.

I presume the first two are Frankenrazors. (Far left) The cap appears silvery, with some apparent brass showing through mainly at 12 o’clock and 6 o’clock. The base plate markings (underneath) are the Gillette diamond and “Made in U. S. A.” The top part of the handle is brassy, while the body has a pinkish cast. Knurling is a very fine diamond pattern; the tip is completely smooth.

(Middle) Both the cap and base plate appear to be silver. The top side of the base plate is marked “J 15871; underside is marked “Property of U. S. Army.” The handle is generally similar to the first one, but is slimmer and about 1/4” longer.

The last one is a puzzler. When I received it, all parts were a dull charcoal gray (see base plate). Cap and handle are now considerably brighter, without being shiny. Material is not magnetic, and is too hefty to be aluminum. Two seams run from the top to the bottom, each opposite to the other. The handle’s tip is octagonal -- like an ordinary nut, but is integrated into the handle.

Thanks in advance. RAZOR A.jpgRAZOR C.jpgRAZOR B.jpg

I recently acquired these razors in a batch deal, and would appreciate input on identifying them. My photo skills are not superb, and they are in various stages of clean-up.

I presume the first two are Frankenrazors. (Far left) The cap appears silvery, with some apparent brass showing through mainly at 12 o’clock and 6 o’clock. The base plate markings (underneath) are the Gillette diamond and “Made in U. S. A.” The top part of the handle is brassy, while the body has a pinkish cast. Knurling is a very fine diamond pattern; the tip is completely smooth.

(Middle) Both the cap and base plate appear to be silver. The top side of the base plate is marked “J 15871; underside is marked “Property of U. S. Army.” The handle is generally similar to the first one, but is slimmer and about 1/4” longer.

The last one is a puzzler. When I received it, all parts were a dull charcoal gray (see base plate). Cap and handle are now considerably brighter, without being shiny. Material is not magnetic, and is too hefty to be aluminum. Two seams run from the top to the bottom, each opposite to the other. The handle’s tip is octagonal -- like an ordinary nut, but is integrated into the handle.

Thanks in advance.View attachment 1265137View attachment 1265139View attachment 1265140
Last one looks to be a Conrad patent Cooper. Originally marketed by Barbasol. They also appear under other labels. Very common in lots of razor miscellany.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
The head on the first one looks to be a '20s Old Type and the handle is a Common Bar from a '30s New. The second head is a 1918 Old Type from a Khaki set and the handle is a less common Common Bar also from a '30s New. Both will shave well. And I agree about the third being a Cooper.

Top Bottom