What's new

Razor head cover...

Gents (and any Ladies who may be present)...

When travelling, I like to preserve a certain amount of safety so that, in the morning, while still bleary of eye and slack of jaw, I don't slice my fingers to shreds trying to find my razor in an unfamiliar setting.

Previously, I've not trusted to luck and engaged a little common sense, by removing the blade after using it, but that's exceedingly wasteful of good blades.

Mühle make a cover out of plastic that grips the heads of their double edged safety razors nicely, but which don't fit other makes of razor (very irritating, but understandable).

There are 3D-Printer files for razor head covers, but I don't possess such a printer, nor do I know anyone who does. I don't want a leather cover, as this would eventually either get sliced to oblivion, or perish with the damp of the insides of my dopp kit.

This leaves plastic as the desired material for such a razor head cover.

So, does anyone know of such a plastic double edged safety razor head removable travel and safety cover?

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

Roger
(London, UK)

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I don't know of any off hand. What I use is a celluloid soap container. Good luck.

R

romsitsa

Hello,

if you are into diy, you could try fabricating one from kydex.

Adam

Rockwell made a a plastic version of the DE cover. I have several but it looks like it is discontinued. Email them to ask.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
My leather one I got for a couple bucks has done well over time, but then again I don't subject it to a damp Dopp kit environment. Of course I don't let the insides of my kit get wet, either, too much nice stuff in there!
full

Last edited:
I don't know of any off hand. What I use is a celluloid soap container. Good luck.

It's a consideration, but I'd have to do a lot of work just to get one that covered the head of the razor.

What about a pill bottle? Drill a few holes in the cap for ventilation, like some folks do with brushes.

It's a thought, thanks. I'll look into that. :)

Hello,

if you are into diy, you could try fabricating one from kydex.

Adam

Hmm. Not encountered the raw material before,and it IS available here too (mail order, but available!). Hmm. Interesting, I'll look into that too :) Thanks :)

Use an MMOC and turn the blade around to make it safe, no cover required.

I'm sorry, a what?

Or flip the baseplate before you put it away, if possible.

It's a Butterfly DE Razor, non-detachable head, so non-flipable.

Rockwell made a a plastic version of the DE cover. I have several but it looks like it is discontinued. Email them to ask.

This might explain why I couldn't find such a beastie out there. Thanks, I'll look into that :)

Thanks for all the replies and ideas, folks, keep 'em coming :)

Roger

My leather one I got for a couple bucks has done well over time, but the again I don't subject it to a damp Dopp kit environment. Of course I don't let the insides of my kit get wet, either, too much nice stuff in there!
full

I get the point, but sometimes, we don't get a choice if we're in a hotel overnight, hence my wanting to avoid leatherwork :)

Cheers,

Roger

Ah, right, gotcha. heh. No, I rather like my Taylor of Old Bond Street Butterfly DE Razor, thanks :)

However, I had a brainwave a short while ago.

Noting that the Mühle cover doesn't fit as supplied, it seemed a little wasteful not to try to - burger it (so to speak) to fit. And I DO have a Dremmel...

So I got chopping. The solid end got taken off completely, and then the channel on the base was lengthened to create an end-to-end opening, instead of the one-end-open. This allows the cover to flex to fit. A bit of rough sanding, and it looked a bit tidier. Two end-to-end raised bars, one on each newly -created wing, had to be sanded down to allow a pushed rather than forced fit, but the result is a quick and dirty prototype of what I wanted to do.

proxy.php

Top left: From the already open end.
Top middle: Closed end, once the end was lopped off and sanded somewhat.
Top right: View of the finished prototype with my razor pushed in place.
Bottom left: Somewhat messy in the middle where my hand slipped while using the sanding disc on the Dremmel, while sanding down the ridge bars inside the cover
Bottom right: End-to-end channel visible with razor in place.

Moral: Anything's possible with a Dremmel ;)

FWIW, this method should work for all makes of DE butterfly razor; I suspect the Mühle cover won't work on any non-Mühle butterfly-type razors. It may well work, un-messed-about-with, on non-butterfly razors.

Note: This was an awkward thing to modify, due to the tight spaces involved. If you perform this surgery yourself, take great care not to slice yourself, and wear the proper eye and hand protection. Your mileage may vary!

Thanks again for the ideas and suggestions - I just took a slightly different approach :)

Roger

Wasn't aware that those were available in British Public Libraries, but it's not one of the services listed in my local one, sadly :(

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Here's my travel solution that I picked up here at B&B some years back - pretty simple, keeps the blade covered, won't deteriorate, cost nothing if you have some around. If you are below a certain age it won't ring a bell ..

filmcanrazorcase.jpg

Leather, though, not plastic.

Here's my travel solution that I picked up here at B&B some years back - pretty simple, keeps the blade covered, won't deteriorate, cost nothing if you have some around. If you are below a certain age it won't ring a bell ..

(snip)

Yep, followed what was mentioned about these and medicine bottles earlier, but I had niether to hand before the brainwave hit ;)

Also, if you're a certain age, you'll remember that they were aluminum! :001_smile

Gawd, that's going back a bit ;)

Small drawstring bag.

(snip)

Hmm. Not exactly a blade safety cover, though. Interesting idea, but not exactly what I had in mind :)

Baby socks.

(snip)

As per the cloth bag, and erm... yeah... think I'll pass on that one ;)

Roger

Top Bottom