What's new

Razor for headshaving

I suppose by now you know your heads anatomy (protrusions, cavities, etc). If you have large moles....I would not advice using DE.
So : I use any and all the razors that I use for face shaving, same with blades..... . And some are better than others , since there is bone behind the skin=don't use pressure.
As mentioned above, a razor that covers taps is better, otherwise it may split your ears.
RR Lupo is a good one
Merkur Progress is good
Any gilllete adjustable is good
Muhle Rocca is Good
Fatips are OK
My first DE was the Progress 510 (long) and I still use it....and I bought it for head shaving only.....used to have a long beard till I had to wear tight masks

Hi,
New member in need of some advice.

When I first started shaving my head I read quite a bit here, but eventually settled on using the Gillette Guard - mostly because I was reserved about the thought of using a DE on my head.
The Guard has served me well for several years, but at the same time it is actually a little boring... I get a satisfying shave, but I still really want to try a DE. It seems like the potential is so much higher both in terms of results, but also in terms of having a good time with shaving.
So I need some advice, and hope you will provide some.

With my facial hair I only use the Guard for tidying up my neckline. Shaving the rest is not an option. But I'm afraid of the learning curve if I only use the DE on my head. Do you think I run a high risk of cuts by going straight to headshaving without much practice first?

Then it is the question of which razor I should buy. I figured the smart solution is to try a relatively mild razor at first? To be honest it's more important to me in the beginning to enjoy shaving than to get perfect results.
The market is close to non-existent where I live, but I have a few options online. It's mostly Merkur, Mühle and Gillette thats available for me without having shipping and VAT driving the price up.
So far I am considering Merkur 34c and Mühle r89. Would either of them be a good place to start? I'm open for other suggestions too - also vintage if the price is okay.

Hope this made some sense, and that you can help me to decide what direction to go in.
I shave my head daily and it took me about a year to feel comfortable shaving with a DE. If I could do it again my first DE would have been an Henson AL13 mild.

So, I've been using the KCG razor and blades for a few shaves now. I must say, it's not been as much of a learning curve as I was afraid of - but the results could certainly be better! Especially the back of my head is a problem area. I realise that I probably have a long way to go to get the tecnique right all the time, but I think the mildness of the razor also is a factor. I will probably keep training with this, and then maybe try an OC in a while.

Unfortunately the offer for the Rocca R95 was a mistake from the store (as I was thinking could be the case), so of course I have to find a different razor instead of that :biggrin1:
What exactly seems to be the problem shaving the back of your head?
Are you looking in the mirror while shaving?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead

I think it takes a certain amount of time using the razor -- any razor -- before the confidence to shave blind develops. Some people have more trouble with that than others. I also find the back of my head is more challenging because as a balding old dude that's where I still have the most hair.

My opinion is that it's not a good idea to take a mild razor to the back of the head. A mild razor with a very sharp blade in it, maybe, but a mild razor often leads to excessive buffing. Likewise an aggressive razor seems a bad idea to me, even an aggressive razor with a milder blade. This, to me, is one place where midrange wins. I also prefer a slant.

My advice is to watch the things that can be seen, and start learning to "see" with your fingers on the back. Like any new tactic, take it in steps. WTG first, then maybe finish with an electric or some other setup that you're more comfortable using. Expand as your comfort level grows. It's not a race; take your time, do it right.

O.H.

Well, I belive I can lean on Old Hippies answer above. As a balding dude, the back of my head is where I have the most hair. So trying to get a feel for shaving with a DE razor, with poor tecnique and a lack of confidence I belive led me to be too cautious. The result being that I had to make quite a few passes in the back, which then led to irritation.
The last couple of shaves have been much better. I belive that my tecnique is developing, and I get the angle right more often than not now. Thats been maybe the hardest thing so far, so it makes a big difference now when I get that right.

Shaving the back of my head I "go blind" because I pretty much know the shape and all after shaving my head for a couple of years already with the Gillette Guard. But I use my fingers alot more now to "see".

I still think the KCG might be too mild, although I get better results each time I shave. I have a tendency to let it go three or four days between shaves at times, so I think a different razor might be better especially in the back. I have ordered a Razorock SLOC after reading alot about that razor, and hope that it will be more efficient.

With that said, especially after the last couple of shaves with improving tecnique and better results I really start to enjoy wet shaving.

I will be very interested in how the Sloc performs. It was going to be my next trial until I found the Gillette Guard - shaving perfection. I’m in the process of 3D printing a much heavier and more substantial handle for the Guard, and it will be perfect!

Well, I belive I can lean on Old Hippies answer above. As a balding dude, the back of my head is where I have the most hair. So trying to get a feel for shaving with a DE razor, with poor tecnique and a lack of confidence I belive led me to be too cautious. The result being that I had to make quite a few passes in the back, which then led to irritation.
The last couple of shaves have been much better. I belive that my tecnique is developing, and I get the angle right more often than not now. Thats been maybe the hardest thing so far, so it makes a big difference now when I get that right.

Shaving the back of my head I "go blind" because I pretty much know the shape and all after shaving my head for a couple of years already with the Gillette Guard. But I use my fingers alot more now to "see".

I still think the KCG might be too mild, although I get better results each time I shave. I have a tendency to let it go three or four days between shaves at times, so I think a different razor might be better especially in the back. I have ordered a Razorock SLOC after reading alot about that razor, and hope that it will be more efficient.

With that said, especially after the last couple of shaves with improving tecnique and better results I really start to enjoy wet shaving.
If you go days with no shaving , an open comb will be your best bet. The cheapest is Fatip, they even have a case w open and closed comb. Then you may want to look at Razorock Lupo, the aluminium original is inexpensive, but I would again recommend the one with the mixed head (one side open comp the other closed) this is nicely machined and not expensive for being SS. They also have a double open comb cheap Zamac DLC....it's ok but not as good as the others.... All in all , if I could only have one: RR Luppo SS with the mixed head!

I will be very interested in how the Sloc performs. It was going to be my next trial until I found the Gillette Guard - shaving perfection. I’m in the process of 3D printing a much heavier and more substantial handle for the Guard, and it will be perfect!
Just finished my first shave with the Sloc. I am amazed by how much better it performed than my King C Gillette! I had about three days growth, and that was no problem. Two passes, first WTG and second pass ATG - close to BBS.
The Sloc did better in two passes than four passes with the KCG. Almost no irritation except for a little at the back of the head, as usual.
I guess the KCG can find its place in the back of the closet.

"With that said, especially after the last couple of shaves with improving tecnique and better results I really start to enjoy wet shaving."
For the back of my head I prefer holding a small mirror so I can see my reflection in my main mirror. Much better results that way.

Top Bottom