What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

I read it's supposed to smell like an obscure, now very rare fragrance called Black Belt...a cousin to Hai Karate. Is it the fresh laundry kind of scent like modern Jovan musk or a dirty (fecal/urinal) animalic musk?

It's been a while since I used it, but I would say neither of those, really. It's definitely musky, but not like urine. It's a blend of a bunch of different forms of musk, so it does have a uniqueness to it.

I have Black Bot and like it quite a lot. I would say there is some powdery dryer sheet-ness in there, but also musk, clearly. I prefer it to AV Musk, which has an animalistic after scent to my nose.

I have Black Bot and Lo Haiku. Nothing animal about either. I prefer Lo.Haiku, which is a take on Hai! Karate. I think Black Bot has a fresh clean scent, especially when first applied. They are both nice, but pretty potent scent wise. My wife says Lo Haiku smells like shalamar when I come home from work.

Just a real good shave with the Copper Ascension. Not much is spoken about this razor but, it is under the radar and quite frankly it’s a superb whisker whacker. Dual open comb, adjustable, well machined with an excellent alloy and competitively priced. A great performer from PAA....

4715DD9E-90F2-4AC3-8047-F48DBB6417F5.jpeg

I have this brush along with every other PAA synthetic brush. I was wondering if anyone else has the PAA solar flare synthetic brush and if they can verify that the knot on this particular brush is a CASHMERE knot? if it isn't, can anyone tell me what know this is because it looks a lot like a cashmere knot.

I am readying for the warmer weather and will need this years menthol section and associated AS.

Last year, I enjoyed Proraso Green tremendously. I wanted something a bit chillier for this summer. It typically takes me 4-6 months to go through a puck so one is plenty for the season. (If it won’t go rancid, I could consider both)

I have narrowed it to PAA Frost Byte and Fine’s Snakebite. There are others but several have ingredients that don’t mesh w my skin.

I am really enjoying Fine’s products and have wanted to try Snakebite and have no experience with PAA but am a sucker for their marketing and am considering their syn brushes to add to my collection.

Anyone have an input as to which chiller I should try?

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wholly Kaw Fern concerto menthol has insane amount of menthol and Stirling has varying degrees of menthol as well (Glacial and metholated). Stirling Mentholated soaps seems to be slightly colder than Proraso green so the glacial would probably fit your search well.

I'm not sure about PAA or Fine although I'd like to try them as well.

CFG's Cryogen is considered by many to be the baseline for dark-side-of-the-moon cold menthol. I certainly haven't found anything colder if that's a criterion....

Look at the Barrister and Mann Terror combo too; I work outside and in the summer nothing is better after work than a Terror shave.

The combo of the soap/AS together lasts for several hours.

Do not buy if you have small children that might touch your face afterwards, this stuff is no joke. It’s a synthetic menthol, so no tears from application but you do NOT want this in your eyes.

Wholly Kaw Fern concerto menthol has insane amount of menthol and Stirling has varying degrees of menthol as well (Glacial and metholated). Stirling Mentholated soaps seems to be slightly colder than Proraso green so the glacial would probably fit your search well.

I'm not sure about PAA or Fine although I'd like to try them as well.
CFG's Cryogen is considered by many to be the baseline for dark-side-of-the-moon cold menthol. I certainly haven't found anything colder if that's a criterion....
Look at the Barrister and Mann Terror combo too; I work outside and in the summer nothing is better after work than a Terror shave.

The combo of the soap/AS together lasts for several hours.

Do not buy if you have small children that might touch your face afterward, this stuff is no joke. It’s a synthetic menthol, so no tears from the application but you do NOT want this in your eyes.
Thanks, gentleman, I do appreciate these alternatives, however, I did the research based on another mentholated thread from a while ago, and looked carefully at the ingredients of many of these and other options, and narrowed to these two choices only, for now; there are some ingredients in many of these my face won't be happy with.

The soap and the AS have what I perceived as a chemical scent. I experienced a rash from both when used separately.
Both were summarily donated to my trash bin. Again in my experience, nasty products.

It's my favorite Bay Rum. Complex, smoky, Woody notes. Probably my favorite AS right now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Top Bottom