What's new

Razor Design Considerations

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Cheers Lads'n'Lasses,

I'm aware of the occasional post somewhere in this massive forum by creative folks like @romsitsa and @twhite who make razors.

I'm sure there are others (I've seen older posts here and there).

I'd like to learn more about razor design -- specifically for DE, Slant and SE (mainly Gem-ish). I'd like to make some razors as well, but may not have the skills for it down solid. Doesn't mean I can't pursue the knowledge, however!

Are there books, technical sites, or people willing to teach? I'm not trying to criticize the people who are making -- and selling! -- the razors we see every day. If they're willing to share their knowledge I'll be grateful. Not trying to steal trade secrets; rather I'm trying to understand things and may want to attempt to put theoretical understanding to the test of lather. But I don't want to limit to the professionals -- there are some amazing amateurs out there and I'd like to sit at their feet and learn (from anyone).

O.H.

Cheers Lads'n'Lasses,

I'm aware of the occasional post somewhere in this massive forum by creative folks like @romsitsa and @twhite who make razors.

I'm sure there are others (I've seen older posts here and there).

I'd like to learn more about razor design -- specifically for DE, Slant and SE (mainly Gem-ish). I'd like to make some razors as well, but may not have the skills for it down solid. Doesn't mean I can't pursue the knowledge, however!

Are there books, technical sites, or people willing to teach? I'm not trying to criticize the people who are making -- and selling! -- the razors we see every day. If they're willing to share their knowledge I'll be grateful. Not trying to steal trade secrets; rather I'm trying to understand things and may want to attempt to put theoretical understanding to the test of lather. But I don't want to limit to the professionals -- there are some amazing amateurs out there and I'd like to sit at their feet and learn (from anyone).

O.H.
O.H.

I would be glad to share with you what I know. I am self taught so to say. I am a machinist by trade. So I am handy with machining and some designing. So any questions fire away.

By the way, you can literally make a SE out of a piece of paint stirring stick and a large paper clip.
10F687E3-9367-4E7F-962D-1189E20BF9A0.jpeg
F5B1A422-27F3-4D18-9F30-FDC5E013081C.jpeg

Tom

R

romsitsa

Hello, for a DE I'd suggest to copy the curvature of the Gillette Old type and then play with the width of the base plate. The Old types shape is simple and holds the blade very rigid. The base plate can be solid, hollowed out or a sheet of brass, it doesn't really matter.

With SE razors GEM is the most forgiving blade to make a razor around it. It's pretty good explained in Toms photo, the aluminum backing holds it in place, there is no need for stops and the blade can be simply inserted from the side of the head. Instead of the usual folded down bar I folded it up so it sits closer to the blades edge.

To be perfectly honest I usually have no clue what I'm doing just experimenting around with brass until it works (or doesn't).

Happy diy!

Adam

Like romsitsa said.... experiment

I have only started playing with razor construction, but I have a long history of fabrication. You have a need, you have certain tools, and you have certain supplies. Then is just imagination and play time. I am not saying do not study geometry and design of current working examples, but the best teacher for a lot of us is experience and mistakes. Take what you have and have fun with it. And remember it is the experience. Every project does not result in a masterpiece! At least mine do not haha

As far as reading material, several people gave me some advice and ideas in here

Will be watching to see what others have as far as lliterature goes. If you find something on your own, post it for the rest of us, if you would please and thanks

Like romsitsa said.... experiment

I have only started playing with razor construction, but I have a long history of fabrication. You have a need, you have certain tools, and you have certain supplies. Then is just imagination and play time. I am not saying do not study geometry and design of current working examples, but the best teacher for a lot of us is experience and mistakes. Take what you have and have fun with it. And remember it is the experience. Every project does not result in a masterpiece! At least mine do not haha
True words spoken there. Most important is “have fun”.
I took existing razors on my first razor an Injector and took what I liked from them. Then incorporated them into my design.

To me make sure the blade is secure to remove as much flex as possible. From there tweak your design.

I would love to see others creations. I will post some of mine in the very near future. I will try to explain my reasoning behind each also.

Tom

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
One of my pressing questions has to do with how the cap and baseplate work together in a razor that uses DE blades.

Some examples:

Tom's Famos repro has a "baseplate" with fingers on which the blade rests and is clamped by the cap.

The Parker Semi-Slant has a cap with a full curve, but narrow ridges on the baseplate that actually contact the blade.

The Wardonia I have has a central pedestal on the baseplate, but a full curve on the cap.

The Wunderbar has a full curve on the baseplate and on the cap (and closes like a bank vault).

I don't have an R41 but I have an R41 cap I picked up for a project. That cap is not a full curve but has ridges on the outer edges to clamp the blade.

When I look at a DE blade, the edges are only connected by the blade tabs. Seems to me like the maximum contact area is the best thing, as the centre of the blade is not supported otherwise. I notice on the Parker for instance that when the cap is tightened down the centre part of the blade is not touching either the cap or baseplate.

What's the difference? Why the diversity? The only argument I can come up with FOR it is that it's somehow cheaper to produce razors with less blade clamping ability. I can imagine a cost-benefit analysis that would seek to discover how poorly a razor could be made that would still satisfy a customer at a profitable price point.

O.H.

I think the easier/cheaper manufacturing is a very likely culprit. I can tell you I have razors that have contact "ridges" and also razors that have (seemingly anyway) full contact curves. I think you can guess which holds the blade more rigid. I made mine with contact ridges to try to "curve" the blade. I did not get enough curve, but it works.

Top Bottom