What's new

razor bumps, causes/cures

I seem to get more bumps with a duller blade like a Derby, in a less ridgid razor like a DE 89, and using a less slick lather. I almost never get them on my cheeks only on my neck/under chin. Anyone else notice which razors, blades, lathers add to or reduce the bumps ?

IME, like you said, duller blades, razors with more blade flex and chatter and less blade curve seem to cause more problems for me.

Case in point...my Fatips have a curved blade, are very aggressive, super rigid blade and shallow shaving angle. And I NEVER get a razor bump or ingrown hair.

The Karve CB with D plate has a much flatter blade plane, but despite being a very rigid blade design, it caused more of a tugging sensation even with sharp blades and caused bumps on my neck.

My ATT M1 nevr gave me bumps wit any blade despite a non-rigid design and a flatter blade plane.

Duller blades definitely can cause issues, but I find the razor to be more of an issue in most cases. A Voskhod in the Fatip shaves great. But the same blade in a DE89 tugs.

There is no firm rule...only loose guidelines at best and in reality, I fi d each razor/blade combo to perform slightly differently...only one way to figure it out...test, test, test.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
IME, like you said, duller blades, razors with more blade flex and chatter and less blade curve seem to cause more problems for me.

Case in point...my Fatips have a curved blade, are very aggressive, super rigid blade and shallow shaving angle. And I NEVER get a razor bump or ingrown hair.

The Karve CB with D plate has a much flatter blade plane, but despite being a very rigid blade design, it caused more of a tugging sensation even with sharp blades and caused bumps on my neck.

My ATT M1 nevr gave me bumps wit any blade despite a non-rigid design and a flatter blade plane.

Duller blades definitely can cause issues, but I find the razor to be more of an issue in most cases. A Voskhod in the Fatip shaves great. But the same blade in a DE89 tugs.

There is no firm rule...only loose guidelines at best and in reality, I fi d each razor/blade combo to perform slightly differently...only one way to figure it out...test, test, test.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Really fine explanation!

I get always get bumps on the sides of my chin. Seems like pre-Shave and as you said slicker soaps help. Probably sharper blades help to, these hairs are so very course and tough. I also started using a very low setting on the adjustable Slim, helps too. Someone said use baking soda , before soap, i think. I'll follow along here.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I don't normally get razor bumps but I do get some razor burn from time to time on the right side of my neck. Same spot for years.

Typically, razor bumps are caused by ingrown hairs. The hair gets cut below the skin level and then as it grows back, it grows into the skin and causes a bump. This is usually more an issue with multi-blade carts that lift and cut the hairs or in people who go ATG or do too much blade buffing.
I dont know how a milder blade, a certain razor or having wetter or drier lather would effect that but anythings possible.

Typically, razor bumps are caused by ingrown hairs. The hair gets cut below the skin level and then as it grows back, it grows into the skin and causes a bump. This is usually more an issue with multi-blade carts that lift and cut the hair.

+1! This is definitely the case for me. Good prep and a sharp DE and I have very few skin problems!

The only blades I use are Wilkinson Sword, Astra SP or Crystal, the Astra I use in my mild Vintage and W.S. and Crystal in the more aggressive razors, sometimes I'll get a bit of razor burn if I used too many passes, especially around the neck, otherwise I get smooth comfortable shaves. The only time I got constant razor burn, bumps and ingrown's was when I used cartridge razors, no mater if it's any brand of 2, 3, or 5 blade carts.

I don't believe razor bumps are always caused by ingrown hairs (at least not for me). I have gotten razor bumps and seen a hair grow perfectly out of where the bump was. I have also gotten ingrown hairs where the skin forms around and on top of the hair folicule.

I *believe* that razor bumps (just like razor burn and ingrown hairs) are separate conditions. From my research, razor bumps are caused by an infection of the hair folicule. So really the question is how does it get infected. Obviously your skin or hair foilicule is more susceptible to infection when it is abraded such as when a razor blade gets a little too close to the skin and does more than just cut the hair but also leave micro nicks in the skin.

1. So the first part of this is making sure you are using a good cream or soap that provides enough glide and protection for the blade to cut the hair without cutting the skin or folicule.

2. Using a sharp and clean blade is also important - if you look at any dull blade (razor, knife, etc.) under a microscope a dull blade is not uniform and looks like it has microscopic peaks and valleys that could very much also abrade the skin more than a sharp blade. The blade might also be dull from rust or staining.

3. Not keeping a blade free of rust and bacteria is also important. Stainless steel is never exactly perfectly stainless, it's more like stain resistant with varying degrees of resistance based on how much carbon is in the alloy. Also water environments foster bacteria growth faster - so any microbrasions, etc. from previous shaves could spread the infection on your next shave if you get really close again on certain passes and certain spots. You may want to dunk your blade in some alcohol to kill the bacteria after your are done shaving. It should also displace any water left on the blade which will also help prevent future bacteria growth.

4. You can also try to attack this post shave - witch hazel, aloe, and tea tree oil are known to fight bacteria and might prevent the infection (and the subsequent bump formed by inflation) from forming. You could also try a product with salicylic acid that penetrates the dermis and gets into the pore/folicule.

That is my theory anyway. Hope it helps.

I can't speak to razor bumps specifically but, in terms of irritation, it seems that razors that hold the blade more rigidly yield less irritating shaves even with more aggressive razors. I do keep seeing the Fatip mentioned on the forums as razors that succeed in this. The newer Rockwells with the support bar that runs the full length of the base plate would also seem to address this. I recently got a Razorock SLOC which is a super mild double open comb that holds the blade quite rigidly; the idea with double open combs is that they hold on to some extra water and lather that makes them almost self lubricating. Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements makes some nice razors in this class as well. Blade wise... Voskhod, Israeli Personnas, Gillette Silver Blues are all very smooth blades for me. That said, I would probably wait 'til you settle on a razor and then get a blade sampler to see how they perform specifically in that.

Top Bottom