What's new

Razor bumps ahhhhh!

For me it was a night and day difference. Really like it.
Omg just used yesterday, along with a cold water shave and NO ATG pass and it worked beautifully LOVE THE SMELL even though it goes quick I wouldn't mind if it lingered. The No ATG pass was not as smooth as I want at all sigh...but enough as I heal and keep at it again.

No pressure on the blade.
I don't over stretch. I've found that making my skin too taut is a recipe for in-grown hairs.
I skip ATG passes (2 pass only shave), if I had some the previous day I only go for one pass on my neck the next day.
I exfoliate with St. Ives Apricot Scrub with salicylic acid at least twice a week and always on new blade day.
I skip one day of shaving per week.
Shower-->Shave-->Cold Water-->Dry-->Alcohol-based After shave-->Lotion if face is irritated

If a bump shows up I attack it with tweezers and pull out the hair. I make sure to get the root. I think removing the hair is generally not recommended because if you don't get the root it'll make things worse. Additionally, when the new hair grows back it'll have a sharp edge and can easily curl in. If I don't pull the hair, then the bump will take 2-3 weeks or longer to go away and may become infected. I hope your bumps aren't like mine in this regard.

While it's not giving you razor burn, you're probably trying too hard to get a BBS, so you're probably pushing a tad too much with the razor at a bad angle, cutting the hair under skin level and at an angle, so the hair regrows towards under the skin.

Hold your razor at a slightly more parallel angle and less pressure.

Slight thread derailment warning here, but it is a related question.
i used to get bumps with pitiful and depressing regularity, however now I'm getting into this "proper shaving".... Nowhere near a much.
however, today was an exception to this. Decided to use a feather blade in my shavette ( yeah, yeah I know, like using Indy5000 engine in a Ford Ka), and overall all was fine...
however, the lower neck area (my long time Achilles heel) has got some serious bumps on it now... Knowing how my skin behaves, it's going to take at least 3 days to recover....

One of the main things that helped, was I had to drastically adjust my angle of attack. The shavette was almost flat on my face, to the point where I thought that all I would be doing is just wiping lather away without actually trimming whiskers at all.
which got me wondering, does anyone know if the Japanese blade edge differs in angle to the western edges?
i ask as the edge of a Japanese traditional knife is honed to a much more shallow angle than the equivalent western knife (almost 10 degrees less on average). Oh and yes, aiming for BBS before your method is clear and working well isn't a good combo (something I have done before now).

Omg just used yesterday, along with a cold water shave and NO ATG pass and it worked beautifully LOVE THE SMELL even though it goes quick I wouldn't mind if it lingered. The No ATG pass was not as smooth as I want at all sigh...but enough as I heal and keep at it again.

Glad to hear it. What kind of soap and blade are you using?

Glad to hear it. What kind of soap and blade are you using?
Fatboy set @ 7 and right now I have been trying soaps so last week when I got the bumps was the Dr.jons propaganda this week its paa clubguy on a personna blade labs

I was actually trying out a dorco blade three weeks ago and that really messed my neck up but I let it heal never been the same neck since

Last edited:
Fatboy set @ 7 and right now I have been trying soaps so last week when I got the bumps was the Dr.jons propaganda this week its paa clubguy on a personna blade labs

I was actually trying out a dorco blade three weeks ago and that really messed my neck up but I let it heal never been the same neck since

Changing out soaps might cause an issue as well. Don't try to change too much at once. If you are trying out soaps though I suggest trying Soap Commander. Awesome company to deal with. Their soap and balm have helped with me a lot. If you order directly from there site you can get soap samples. If you ask they may be able to get you a balm sample as well. Platinum blades really agitate me. Not sure if you have been using the persona prior to your bumps.

Changing out soaps might cause an issue as well. Don't try to change too much at once. If you are trying out soaps though I suggest trying Soap Commander. Awesome company to deal with. Their soap and balm have helped with me a lot. If you order directly from there site you can get soap samples. If you ask they may be able to get you a balm sample as well. Platinum blades really agitate me. Not sure if you have been using the persona prior to your bumps.
second shave using Luke warm water, 2 passes with the grain, and a touch up cross grain, still not close as I want BUT GETTING used to it. Also used alum block as I cleaned the sink and brushed teeth, washed the alum off and applied some lucky tiger. woke up this morning with a bump free, well I still have that one annoying one that hasn't healed yet but other wise awesome shave last night

Still using personna blade and paa club soap

Also I might just be thinking out of my (use imagination here), but I mentioned the balms because I remember once, back when I used carts, I used some cocoa butter to lotion up my face right after a shave. My neck filled with razor bumps and ingrown hairs. That was the first and last time I ever did that and til just this week it hasn't happened. Come to think of it the bumps look and feel just like that time I used cocoa butter. Instead am using a ASbalms (nivea). Is it dumb thinking or a possibility? Only AS I have used have been nivea balms and alum block.

Cocoa butter possibly blocked up your pores and it could be the combination or amount of AS balm doing the same thing. Shaving can be hard on your skin already and if it's in a sensitive state from shaving or you've tugged and pulled it some to shave, it could make you more susceptible to blocked pores or surface irritation.

second shave using Luke warm water, 2 passes with the grain, and a touch up cross grain, still not close as I want BUT GETTING used to it. Also used alum block as I cleaned the sink and brushed teeth, washed the alum off and applied some lucky tiger. woke up this morning with a bump free, well I still have that one annoying one that hasn't healed yet but other wise awesome shave last night

Glad to hear it. If you are trying to get closer I have heard people say to with the grain. Then across the grain. Then across the grain in the opposite direction.

Congrats, the cold really helps.

Top Bottom