What's new

Razor bonanza in Oakhurst CA

I was on vacation this past weekend in Coarsegold CA, along highway 41 between Fresno and Yosemite. My daughter and I went antique shopping Sunday afternoon, and I was intent on finding me a razor. On our way to Yosemite Friday, we'd seen at least a half dozen antique shops in Coarsegold and Oakhurst, so it looked to be a fun day.

After the first half dozen shops (there were more than we'd casually noticed earlier), I'd seen some straights and a very nice amber-handled Schick Eversharp, along with some vintage blades and a whole NIB bottle of Brut aftershave. I passed on the Schick, as it seemed to be going for top dollar at a pretty fancy shop.

As I was walking out of the Good Ol Things antique store in Coarsegold, I asked the proprietor if she had any safety razors. She said she didn't, but recommended I go down the walk in the same parking lot to a sort of courtyard area with different stalls and ask for George; that was the best tip of my weekend.

I found George sitting in one of those antique store areas where different booths have stuff sold by different owners, right in the crook of the "L" made by the buildings in that parking lot. He had long gray hair and a long gray beard, but in spite of clearly not practicing the art of wet shaving he really lit up when I mentioned I was looking for a 19th century safety razor. He practically leapt to his feet and led me to a back room, gleefully telling me he was taking me to his "treasure room."

There in George's treasure room, completely uncooled during a triple-digit heat wave, I found my bonanza: two large cabinets full of vintage and antique razors. 19th century you say? George showed me a very nice Kampfe, with blade. There were dozens of Gillettes: Old, New, Tech, adjustables, you name it. There were GEMs and Schicks and Rolls and Autostrops. He had straights and clippers and strops and brushes and blade sharpeners and banks. He even had a nice example of one of those razors with wheels that would move the blade in a sawing motion as one drew it across one's face. I was impressed at what fine condition most of his stock was in, with many complete boxed sets.

George himself was a delightful character who enthusiastically pulled out his favorites and extolled to me their virtues. I think we were both a little sad when other customers summoned him, but he left the cases open for me to peruse at my leisure (as much leisure anyway as one has in triple-digit heat in a stuffy back room). I found his prices to be fair; he wasn't asking top dollar for stuff, but he sure seemed to know what it was worth.

I didn't find any of the razors I was looking for (from the years some of my great-grandpas might have begun shaving), but I couldn't walk out of there empty-handed. I selected a nice 1906 Old type (it had a matching Old type blade loaded) and asked George what he wanted for it. My daughter was in the air-conditioned car waiting for me at this point, and I happily paid George the $20 he asked for. I left wishing I had more time to spend poring over George's collection.

To find this place, punch in Good Ol Things in Oakhurst into your navigator (I didn't see any sign or business name outside the door to George's domain) or go to 40571 CA-41, Oakhurst, CA. They take cash or cards.

full

full

Last edited:
Top Bottom