What's new

Razor blade variety.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Start with a standard blade like a Astra SP or a Personna red or blue and use it for 25> consecutive shaves & change same brand as needed (3-7shaves per blade) and Gage all other blades from your established standard and with good technique you can use any blade out there over time. You will know what you like to use forward IMO.
Traditional wet shaving can be opinionated because we all have different beard and skin sensitivities if that makes some sense!
Have some great shaves.

Start with a standard blade like a Astra SP or a Personna red or blue and use it for 25> consecutive shaves & change same brand as needed (3-7shaves per blade) and Gage all other blades from your established standard and with good technique you can use any blade out there over time. You will know what you like to use forward IMO.
Traditional wet shaving can be opinionated because we all have different beard and skin sensitivities if that makes some sense!
Have some great shaves.
I used the Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow for my first shave. I think i will stick to them for a little while since i had great success with them.

Feather DE blades are platinum coated.
View attachment 958322

EDIT
Were you thinking of Kai?
View attachment 958325

My apologies.

I was thinking that the Feather blades were not coated as they are one of the few blades that do not get sharper after the first shave. Perhaps, that is because they are so sharp in the first place. However, I find the first pass with a new Feather to be a little harsh. I guess that is why I mistakenly thought they were not coated.

General advice is to stick with one setup and focus on technique. And when you do make a change...alter only one variable.

Of course, you can do any dang thing you want.

+1! Totally up to you!!

However, you will likely progress faster sticking with your current set-up until your technique is more solid.

I'd stick with one brand until your shaves are consistent. That's lather, shave finish, post shave feel, and blade life. You need to hone your technique and develop that consistency, before you can appreciate variety, otherwise you won't know if any perceived differences are due to the blade, or just your own variation in usage.

+1 Aimless i believe you had a post or a reply with similar advise when i first started and i was glad i followed it. It definitely made me appreciate blade differences which to me is key to finding the right one and having a great shave.

I still think gear is half of the battle regardless of one's technique level. If I had stuck with Merkur blades for 2/5/10/25/100 shaves, I would have quit before i found a decent blade that worked.

Do whatever you want. Mixing it up is half of the fun. (you're posting on a hobby forum, so obviously you care about the gear. why punish yourself with strict rules?)

I got caught in the trap of trying numerous brands of blades in my first few months. Mistake. I kept thinking I was finding better blades but really it was only my technique which was better My best suggestion is pick a couple really good reputation blades and shave with them for several months until your technique and routine is dialed in. Then have fun exploring.

I used the Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow for my first shave. I think i will stick to them for a little while since i had great success with them.

The SharpEdge (yellow) blades are an excellent mid-range blade. They are neither the cheapest, nor the most expensive. They are neither the sharpest, nor the dullest. They are a smooth blade. I love using them in my aggressive Muhle R41 razor. However, with a less aggressive razor, I prefer using even sharper blades.

Top Bottom