What's new

Razor Blade Storage

When initially coming to the light and beginning to wetshave, a website selling shave gear recommended storing your blades either in an oil or alcohol between uses to prevent oxidation and thus improve the length of the blade's life. Last week I decided to buy a small mason jar and fill it with 91% isopropyl alcohol to store the blades in between uses. That said, I noticed small rust spots on my feather after one day (not on the shaving edge but more in the "body"). I also pulled out a Derby that had one shave after 4-5 days and found multiple rust spots on the shaving edge but none on the "body." So, my question would be if anyone knows of a better way to store the blade so that it prolongs the shaving lifespan.

Interesting. I have never worried about that. DE blades are so cheap, it sounds like a bit of a waste. Cartridges I could see....

Good point, I guess I'm just trying to make sure all of my blades last me a good 6-7 shaves. First,I hate trying to remember how many shaves each blade has. Second, it's B&B's fault...after about 6 weeks of DE shaving I can't stand missing a day of shaving:biggrin: . Example, I had to skip today because of this weekend's problems with a feather getting used one too many times...now all the stuble is driving me crazy.

Again, thanks to B&B for the enlightenment to a better way of life.

I just change blades the same day every week. If I leave a good shave on the table, so be it for a few cents.

I do the same Todd. I use one blade for a week and change it out every Sunday morning. That way, I'm not trying to keep track of how many times it's been used. To simplify the process, I use one razor the entire week and on Sunday, put a new blade in a different razor. (Yeah, I know if you look in my SOTDs, I do sometimes change razors mid-week but most weeks I don't. There normally has to be something wrong for me to change)

Hey Todd,
When I use a blade that lasts a week, I change it once a week. I try to do that on the same day every week.
Now, I have some blades that run out of performance after three or four days (read pull, tug, or rust). As soon as I note diminished performance, guess what! I swap the blade out and replace it with a new compatriot. BUT, come Sunday, a new blade goes into the rasoir de la semaine.
Believe it or not, it really makes life simple and I avoid a lot of nicks and razor burn that way.
YMMV:w00t:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You guys really get a week out of a blade? With Ron's 4-pass system, why thats 28 passes!
I can't get anywhere near that.

Another way to keep track of blade changes is to create a crude calendar out of your shaving cream tubs. If you do not have 31 tubs, then you now have the reason to buy, buy, buy!

P

PortsmouthDavid

I'm not sure the alcohol does any good. I used to be into that trip in college (30 years ago), but I can't say I noticed any improvement in blade life.

I think we just have to accept that your blade is going to be exposed to moisture, is going to take a beating from your beard, and is going to have to be changed after a week or so.

It's just the whole karma of the thing, and we mere mortals are powerless to change it!

-- David

Top Bottom