What's new

Razor Blade Flipping

Hi,

Oddly enough, the instruction sheet from my 1930s Fasan Double Slant actually tells you to flip the blade over to gain more shaves out of the blade after three uses. They even go so far as to say to align the number 1 on the blade with the red dot on the cap, then use the number 3 aligned with the dot when you flip the blade over after three shaves.

Now, the Fasan is a differentially aggressive razor. The side with the red dot is more aggressive than the side without the dot. I looked pretty hard at the original Fasan blades, and they are symmetrical, so I do not think it would matter if you aligned the numbers 2 and 4 up with the dot.

I did notice that the modern Personna blades I use are thinner than the original Fasan blades that came with that Slant. Perhaps flipping did make a difference with the original Fasan blades. There has to be a reason why they put the flipping instruction into their book.

A couple pics of the Fasan:

http://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/media/46017/full

http://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/media/46018/full

Stan

Last edited by a moderator:
There has to be a reason why they put the flipping instruction into their book.

Could just be that they were wrong, or they were guessing/passing on mythology, or they thought it was good for marketing somehow. I'm not saying that flipping is without merit (I flip), just that you can't take the contents of instruction manuals completely sans-skepticism (and I'm the most instructions-obeying person I know!).

If someone (most likely unconsciously) only or mainly uses the (for example) right half of the edge, flipping the blade makes sense. But this has nothing to do with blade itself, and even less so with the four numbers as "side A" and "side B" would be good enough for this purpose unless someone first uses one edge until it is dull, and then the other one. I believe that the center part of each edge gets most whiskers to cut - at least when I use a DE razor.

I like to read and write about those numbers on the blades, that's why they are printed on them. However, I prefer blades without numbers, so I don't have to flip them.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
When I'm slicing the Christmas Ham, when the knife gets a little dull, I flip the knife and cut from the other side.

Nope. That doesn't make sense either! :lol:

When I'm slicing the Christmas Ham, when the knife gets a little dull, I flip the knife and cut from the other side.

Nope. That doesn't make sense either! :lol:

Not with a dull knife. But since a steak knife only has serrations on one side of the edge, changing hands makes a difference.

The same with bread knives; they are designed for right handed persons.

The difference is small, but very noticable when you try a left handed knife.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Not with a dull knife. But since a steak knife only has serrations on one side of the edge, changing hands makes a difference.

The same with bread knives; they are designed for right handed persons.

The difference is small, but very noticable when you try a left handed knife.

My knives don't have serrations. There's only one microscopic cutting edge where the two bevels meet whether it's a knife or a razor blade.
There is not one single shred of evidence that flipping a blade has any effect whatsoever except in the mind of the flipper.
Show me a razor blade with serrations and we'll talk.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The remark was about steak knives (see above) ... do you shave with a steak knife? :wink2:

If I honed it to do so, yes. The point is that a plain cutting edge is merely the meeting point of two bevels. There is no more evidence that flipping a blade has any more benefit than flipping a knife.
If conclusive evidence exists, feel free to present it.

There is a definite difference with serrated knives, like steak knives.

Why do you think all knife makers place them on the optimal side for right handers?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The point is that a plain cutting edge is merely the meeting point of two bevels. There is no more evidence that flipping a blade has any more benefit than flipping a knife.
If conclusive evidence exists, feel free to present it.

+1

after 3 or 4 shaves I flip my blades, into the bin/bank. they are cheap enough, why eek out an extra (maybe substandard) shave when I could be using a new blade?

Everybody forgot the most important part. For this to work, after you flip the blade you must tap your shoes together three times and say 'theres no place like home.'

It's not a crazy concept. If the blade is not perfectly perpendicular to whatever it makes contact with the edge will roll. Since we are all human, we do not achieve this perfect perpendicular. Flipping the blade between shaves would alternate the direction of the rolled edge.

I'm reasonably new here but I can see this conversation going in forever. All we need now are some drinks and a campfire and we can go and on forever :)

Everybody forgot the most important part. For this to work, after you flip the blade you must tap your shoes together three times and say 'theres no place like home.'

I tried this and it didn't work.
Any other ideas on how to get this flipping blade thing to work??

Top Bottom