What's new

Razor/Blade Combinations

I hear a lot of talk about getting different shaves from changing the combination with different razors and blades. I have been DE shaving for about 8 - 9 months. I have bought sampler packs, and a hundred blade lot of both Astras and IPs. Astras have clearly been my favorites. Over the last 3 - 4 months I have bought 12 - 15 vintage Gillettes, adjustables, techs, superspeeds, etc. This week I have been using a gold tech I picked up at an antique mall a couple of weeks ago. I have been using the IPs. The shaves are terrible. This morning on my drive to work, I looked in the mirror and wondered if I had even shaved. I'm about ready to give up on the IPs. Is there a razor that I possibly have that would work better with the IPs? I know the tech is a mild shaver, but the shaves with the Astras were a lot better even with the tech. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I like IPs in my NEWs and in aggressive razors my Aristocrat, it also works well in adjustable razors.
In a Tech I like Feathers.

After reading many posts on razor/blade pairings, it seems that a lot of us prefer feather's in our tech's like cooncatbob. I use one in my 48-50 aristocrat and it's perfect. When I used the feather in my red tip, I kept getting weepers that would sprout all of a sudden. If I had more patience I could probably make them cease altogether but oh well.... If you can't find a razor your IP's will work with through your own experimentation, I would suggest you lurk awhile on the SOTD forum. You might be able to get a feel for what the popular red ip/razor combinations are for a lot of folks. If none of those suit your fancy you might seriously try using a feather in your tech. Yeah it's a sharp blade; but that's the idea around here right?

If you mean Red Pack Israeli when you reference "IP" then I would suggest a 40's era Super Speed. Seems to be smooth, comfortable & the results have been very hard for me to beat with any other combo.

Top Bottom